General opinion of Subarus? (also considering Mazda5 & CRV)

klk

We are currently expecting our first child in August and we're in the market for a new car. My husband has a Prius, so I'm looking for a car that can handle better in inclement weather and when going up to the mountain. I doubt we'll have more than 2 children, unless we get twins the second go around. :eek:

So, I've done a bit of searching here, and it seems like a lot of people either love or hate their Subarus.

I test drove a 2010 Subaru Outback and fell in love. Do any of you have this car and how well do you like it (for car seats, convenience and safety?). Apparently they added 4" of extra legroom to the backseat, so it should fit car seats easier. I also like how it was rated highly by the IIHS and Consumer Reports.

We plan to test drive a Mazda5, Honda CRV and Subaru Outback next weekend. Not sure what the hubby will let me spend, but I'm hoping its up to 30K.

I've seen lots of positive feedback on the Mazda5, but the lack of AWD as an option kind of concerns me. We don't get a ton of snow in Oregon but do travel to the mountains several times a year and when we do get the freak snowstorm or freezing rain in the city, I want a car that handles well without resorting to studded snow tires.

For those that own the Mazda5, how well does it handle on snow and ice?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

ADS

SavsMom

I have 2010 Subaru Forester and my parents have a 2010 Subaru Outback. I love both vehicles.

My mom has my daughter with her quite a bit while they are down here in Florida over the winter and has had either a Britax Boulevard installed rear facing or a Graco Nautilus installed forward facing (of course) - both seats installed quite easily in the Outback. With the Boulevard installed rear facing outboard on the passenger side, the front seat passenger still had plenty of room to sit very comfortably.

They purchased their Outback here in Florida and recently drove it back to South Dakota (they spend their summers there). On their 2,000 mile trip back they drove around 75 on the hwy and averaged 30 mpg overall, they were quite happy with the ride and handling of the vehicle as well :thumbsup: For reference they have the Limited model with the 4 cylinder engine.

gigi

My mom and I have had combined 5 Subarus (starting with my high school car, a 1985 sedan and my newest is a 2007 Tribeca). I have loved ALL of them. GREAT cars. I totally LOVED the 2010 Outback when I was buying my Tribeca but I needed the 7-passenger capability. It is roomy and just so lovely to drive. If they offered the fold-up seats like Volvos have, I would have bought it in a heart beat.

My car before my Tribeca was a 1996 Legacy wagon. It was AWESOME. Went to 196K miles before we started to have any major problems. Only broke down ONCE, ever. Seriously. The best car.

Subaru has perfected AWD too and the cars drive really wonderfully. Expect a few rattles...every Subaru I've had makes random rattles but boy they never break down or cause you many problems other than regular maintenence (and along with AWD comes lots of upkeep on the axles and cv joints, but this seems true of other AWD vehicles also).

Of the cars you listed, the Outback will give you the most passenger/cargo room. My mom has a 2010 CRV and she's regretting not getting another Subaru. She loved the panoramic skylight and she said her Subarus handled better than the CRV. Not that the CRV isn't great, but it is smaller in both passenger and cargo room (terribly useless trunk space).

Splash

They are love it or hate it cars. I happen to hate my forester more than any vehicle I have ever owned and it is, far and away, the most regretable purchase I have ever made. It is extremely safe and reliable but as a family vehicle it is a complete failure. The outback is certainly better, but subarus are notorious for being highly difficult to install carseats.

chay

I have a Mazda 5 and love it. I got about 14 feet of snow and a few freezing rain storms the first year I had it and I had no problems with all seasons (it was impossible to find snow tires that year because Quebec made it mandatory and most of the tires in Canada went there and sold out in Sept). Snow tires help though and I don't have studded because they are illegal in the city. I've always lived in snowy climates and never had AWD so maybe I'm just used to it. I did have to get pulled out of a ditch once many years ago but while I was waiting for the tow truck I watched 14 cars/suvs/4x4s go in the ditch so I don't think AWD would have helped that day.

It is REALLY easy to install seats in the second row. The 3rd row is a bit more challenging but still easier than many cars I've dealt with. I really love that I can get 4 car seats in it and have used that MANY times for my 2 and then a friend and their 2 or for adding Grandma & Grandpa. I also love that I could get a manual transmission (I'm not a fan of automatics). Oh and don't get me started about my love for sliding doors especially with kids (I had no idea I would love them so much).

Having installed a couple seats in Subaru's it isn't necessarily the front to back space that is the issue. It is the placement of the latch a couple inches up the seat back and the super slanted seats that make installing car seats a challenge. I'm a new tech but it is the only car that I've seen at a clinic where they sent the person back to buy a different seat because the 2 very experienced instructors couldn't even get it in (with seat belt or latch).

Last edited:

Splash

Yes, Subaru anchors are ALWAYS about 2-3 inches above the seat bight. This makes it extremely difficult to install even with LATCH, and in some vehicles it is impossible because you'd have to pull the entire buckle so far into the belt path. For example, with a RF MA, the LATCH connectors are just *barely* short enough to be able to fit between the bar and the anchor, and I have to pull ALL the slack out of the belt. All of it. So it's pretty dang close to rigid LATCH. With my CCO, it's not possible to install RF with LATCH because the hook is too long, and I'd have to pull the hook into the belt path. If the anchors were in the seat bight, it'd be much easier. Couple that with forward of the bight belts and *very* reclined seats (not to mention so little backseat room to begin with) and you have a difficult car seat stew brewing.

I do have to say, I'm almost tempted by the crash ratings on the Outback. But that's what sold me on the Forester (and my dad talking me into it, saying it is the most loved vehicle of all time by Consumer Reports) and I have regretted it ever since. Now, if I were T-boned by an F-250, you'd bet your tail I want to be in the Forester. But I've never been t-boned by an F-250 so I've spent four years loathing everything about a vehicle and didn't even have the decency to get in a wreck. How rude.

If you like the Outback, by all means BUY IT. It's a very safe, very reliable vehicle that will hold its value for a long time. Some people are Subaru people, some aren't. I really think Subaru is an acquired taste and I plain don't have it! But if you can install seats in it and you love it (and by all means, MANY people LOVE their Subarus) then buy the thing. You're not getting gypped on safety, value, or quality.

gigi

I agree that Forresters don't make the best family vehicles. They are SMALL inside. So is a CRV. I'm not a fan of either for hauling more than one kid. But the outback? Especially the 2010s? Those are much longer and wider and make much better family cars (more person space, more cargo space, and a new WIDE back seat).

My Tribeca is an AWESOME family car. I recently had 2 car seats in mine and there was plenty of room for a small adult in between. If I had put the seats next to each other (which would have fit) I could easily have put a big adult back there.

Anyway, the 2010 outbacks are huge compared to previous models and to Foresters. Much, much wider (makes car seats easier).

I've never relied on LATCH for car seat installs much (my previous vehicle didn't have it) and haven't had any problem installing my 2 britax seats in any Subaru I've ever tried (including the Forester).

Splash

If they would just put rear air vents in the outback, I'd probably buy it. I'm a sucker for a nice crash test, but I am not willing to put Sam through a third rf summer without air.

SavsMom

My friend has a 2007 Forester and it, by all means, is a lot smaller and is not car seat friendly. I find my 2010 (the re-designed Forester came out in 2009) to be much larger in the rear seat, there is also more front passenger room, and car seat installation is much better as well. I have installed a BV, CA, GN and Symph65 in mine using latch with no problems at all.

I agree with Splash though - with cars its either a love/hate relationship. Some people will swear by their Subarus, some people will only drive Hondas, Toyotas or Fords.

I'd say go test drive one - really test drive it. Take your car seat with you and install it in the vehicle you are testing. Working at a dealership, if you have a good salesperson, they will let you take your time and test the vehicle out.

klk

Thanks everyone for your comments! I did test drive the Outback last weekend and really liked it. I don't have any children yet, (besides the one growing in my belly) so I don't have any car seats to bring with me. It seems the majority of car seat fitting difficulties arrise from the covertable or booster seats, but since all my friends have young children, none of the children have outgrown those seats yet, so I think borrowing a seat would be difficult.

I'm thinking of going to purchase the infant car seat I've selected (Chicco Keyfit30) and taking that with me when I go test drive cars this weekend. Does anyone see any downsides to purchasing the car seat 3 months in advance of the birth?

Thanks again for the feedback. Based on the discussion in Splash's thread on safety ratings, it seems I need to do a lot more research to educate myself on what's behind the safety ratings, especially if I let my husband talk me out of getting the Outback.

Splash

I wish I loved the outback. I really do. I want to be a part of the Subaru love club because they really are great vehicles. They just more of a niche than most.
Anything with lockoffs will install fine. The downside of premature purchase is an older Dom thus less shelf life but nit a big deal, ESP for an infant seat.

gigi

Just a tip since you are a first time mom. Make sure you know HOW to install the seat properly and do a little research on all the tips and tricks. Do it in a couple of cars b/f you do it at the test drive, so you have an informed comparison.

I get massive black and blues every time I install my seats from leaning and pushing on them (bruise easily). Sometimes it is difficult, but it usually can be done. Make sure you know how to do it right.

Really, if possible, it would be ideal for you to visit a tech with the seat and your current car so they can teach you all the ins and outs before you test drive (I think this should be required of new parents leaving the hospital, not just the proof of *having* a car seat). Anyway, just my 2 cents.

I've really never had a problem in any of the subarus I've used with car seats (96 Legacy Wagon, 07 Tribeca, 07 Forrester), especially if it is just one or if one is FF and the other RF. The new outback even looks big enough in the center that you could install a seat there pretty easily (a common complaint on older Outbacks), but I haven't done it personally.

klk

Really, if possible, it would be ideal for you to visit a tech with the seat and your current car so they can teach you all the ins and outs before you test drive (I think this should be required of new parents leaving the hospital, not just the proof of *having* a car seat). Anyway, just my 2 cents.
Thanks for the tip! I'm going to purchase the car seat from a store that has a tech on staff and I plan to have them teach me how to install the seat properly before I leave the store. I also will likely test the install in all of our cars (and my parent's 98 forester) so I have a good frame of reference for the test drive.

Splash

You should always see a tech just to make sure everything is all up and up (I have all my seats checked, just because another set of eyes is always important, I miss things too. Heck, I rerouted my harness wrong once and my wife happened to see it. Yikes!) but I would not worry about being able to install the KF30 in... anything. You could securely install that thing on the back of Harry Potter's Firebolt.

BananaBoat

I know I'm coming in late to the discussion, but wanted to add my :twocents:

We're on our 2nd Subaru Forester & will likely continue having Subarus as long as we drive in places with significant snow & ice. Pre-children I :love::love::love: our car. Now, it's just ok.

I agree that the Keyfit shouldn't be a problem in any car because it's such an easy install. While I haven't driven the 2010 Outback, it looks like a vast improvement over their previous designs. Additionally, the Outback in general is a much easier vehicle to install seats in than the Forester. I don't think you will have significant difficulty installing seats in it in the next few years with 1 child & possibly 2. BUT, 3 is an entirely different question!

As for safety, performance & reliability, I have no complaints. While we try not to drive in dangerous weather, I have had the pleasure of having to "test" the AWD in bad conditions. I can say for the record that it handles beautifully in 6 inches of un-plowed, iced-over snow at 5am in the morning while speeding to make my husband's flight because the cab company forgot to pick him up :rolleyes: Not my proudest moment, but the Subie did great :thumbsup:

Our 2003 Forester has 127k miles on it & runs well. We've yet to put any real repairs into it. I agree that it's a little rattley, but it's not bothersome. Our 2001 had issues with the rear wheel bearings around 100k & the catalytic converter around 130k. That's when we traded it in for the 2003 & have been happy with the trade. We'll stick with this one until we have another child (because 2 back there will not work!) or it dies.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I was extremely displeased with how my Mazda 5 handled in the snow, until I had the tires replaced. Now, even with better tires, I have to say I'm not terribly impressed. It doesn't bother me much because I learned to drive in Alaska and am totally comfortable with driving in the snow, and we don't get much snow where I live now, but I wouldn't exactly recommend it.

klk

Thanks for your suggestions, especially how the Mazda5 works in the snow. We don't get a whole lot of snow here in the Pacific NW, but when we do, it sure is nice to have a decent option for transportation around the city and when we travel to the mountains or over the pass. We currently use my Honda Accord with studded snow tires in the winter, but I really hate the tires and want to avoid them on the next car.

Up until I started talking about wanting a car that handled better in the snow, my husband didn't like driving his Prius in the snow/ice and would want to drive my car during inclement weather (he'd take me to/from work). Well, once I started talking about wanting to get a subaru, all of the sudden his Prius had no problems in the snow/ice. :rolleyes:

I haven't seen the Mazda5 up close yet, so I'm keeping an open mind til this weekend. If I don't love it though, I'm going for the Outback. :love:

teekadog

We don't get a lot of snow here so we're not too concerned about how the Mazda 5 handles in snow. But that one time we were on a mountain pass when a sudden spring snow storm hit... Yeah, if that huge truck hadn't been right in front of us the whole way, we would have ended up eating each other. It was scary. Now we very carefully plan our routes depending on that sort of thing.

Northriver

I drive an '06 Toyota Rav 4 and I love my car! I live in Iowa and even with the worst winter on record, I had no problems getting around. There were several days last winter that I was the only one in my office that made it into work. I bought the vehicle when I was living on a 450 acre organic farm, and I'll spare you the details, but in 4 years, I've never gotten my Rav4 stuck in mud or snow - and trust me, it isn't for lack of trying.

I had a '98 Subaru before I got the Rav4 and love that one, too. My ex-husband drives it now and it is still a great vehicle.

I would like to add that I had significant problems with the service department at my local Subaru dealer, which is the only reason I did not buy another Subaru, and am not thrilled with the service dept at our Toyota dealer right now either. I recommend that you do a little research into the ratings of your local dealer service departments, too. Hopefully, you won't be spending much time or money there but I've found that having a dependable service department ultimately reflects on how much I like my vehicle. I tend to drive a vehicle for 8-10 years, so service is perhaps more important to me than people that buy a new vehicle every 2-3 years. Right now, I'd probably buy Honda because I've heard great things about their local service dept AND they happen to be the closest car dealer to my home, lol.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC