WWYD? child health issue

WWYD?

• Do nothing, it is none of our business.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

southpawboston

we visited a co-op playgroup in our neighborhood and we were all set to fill out an application for a spot for our DD1. the space is rented from a church, in a building attached to the church. just before we filled out the $35 check which is the required application fee (yes, this is the city!!!), my eye caught something disturbing: all the heating pipes running along the ceiling had exposed asbestos!!! :eek: at first, i wasn't sure, so i kept examining it. it had all the signs-- cracked casing exposing what looks like corrugated cardboard wrapped around the pipes. the worst part was that there was a section in a corner of the playspace just above a climbing fort, where kids could actually reach out and touch it!!! :mad:

i motioned to DW to put the check back in her wallet, and pointed discreetly to the pipes. DW nodded, knowing exactly what i was seeing, since just last year we had to have the asbestos in our basement abated... not an easy, nor fun, nor inexpensive undertaking! we politely left without filling out the application.

DW called the co-op and asked if they knew anything about it. they said that "we were curious about it as well, but the church super hasn't gotten back to us".

this is scary. i don't like the thought of kids being exposed to a known carcinogen. it is a CLEAR violation of city code to have ANY exposed asbestos, regardless of if there are children around!!!

we called back again, and asked for the number for the church super. he hasn't returned our calls.

we would like to give them the benefit of the doubt, but to be perfectly honest, if they don't have the decency to get back to us in a timely manner and put our minds at rest (not for us, but for all the kids there!!!), we're tempted to call the city inspector on them. the inspector WILL come promptly and if the inspector finds the asbestos to be real, he can close the co-op on the spot and require the church to fix it within 30 days. keep in mind that such an action could end up dissolving the co-op, which many parents may depend on and have their work days scheduled around. the church may not renew their lease if they think the co-op "ratted" them out. there are a lot of bad politics in this town when it comes to property matters, believe me!

WWYD?

ADS

mommy2jana

Safety is #1 priority here! I would definitely report them - they are obviously avoiding the co-op and you. Nobody should be around asbestos!

scatterbunny

Safety is #1 priority here! I would definitely report them - they are obviously avoiding the co-op and you. Nobody should be around asbestos!

Ditto! Obviously the church doesn't want to deal with it, and hoped that the co-op supervisors would forget about it. They didn't count on a parent noticing and blowing the whistle, but it needs to be done! It's sad that it may end up closing down the co-op for good, but that isn't your problem. I'd feel much worse about letting the situation continue than about the co-op closing. Yes, it's an inconvenience for parents, but they should be grateful that you care so much to keep kids that aren't your own safe.

LuvBug

Better safe than sorry!
Absolutely call! If it isnt asbestos then everyone is safe. If it is, then hopefully it was caught before anyone got hurt.

Mami_Kathy

If you guys notice it so quick I think is safe to say that they already know about the problem but choose to do nothing. So I did say call, if someone gets mad at you oh well, but you're doing the right thing and that's what count. Asbestos it ain't anything to fool around with.

southpawboston

Better safe than sorry!
Absolutely call! If it isnt asbestos then everyone is safe. If it is, then hopefully it was caught before anyone got hurt.

see, that's what i'm thinking... if it's not asbestos, then no one has anything to worry about and the co-op is not at risk for getting closed... if it is, then it's for everyone's benefit that the problem is dealt with.

thanks for all the responses... i think i know what i have to do!

Amaris

I just voted before I saw that you are calling! Definately call....better safe than sorry! If it is asbestos then you've just protected a bunch of children!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC