Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

How do you respond when people say.....

I have told all my friends who have children about ERF, but i get a lot of bad feedback. Some just call me paranoid, some tell me that their brother, sister, friends child was FF in an accident and was just fine. How do you respond when people use past accidents to justify why turning a toddler around is perfectly safe? How about when they tell me their doctor or even the owner's manual said FF was ok after 1 year and 20 lbs.? So far, i have ONE friend who agrees with me, and she doesn't have any kids yet! Oh and my dad gets it too, he's on board
    Mommy to Jazlynn, 18 months, RF in a Britax Marathon

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Re: How do you respond when people say.....

Interested to see what everyone says. I tell some of my friends. Most. But still I know they think I'm over the top with this subject. They look at me like your crazy when they see my guy still rf. I'm not bothered by it. But I've given up on trying to get them on board.

That FF child was lucky. Not all are as lucky. Have you seen Joel's Journey? An 18 month old that wasn't as lucky as so-and-so's child?

Mama to Sofi: 7.1 yrs, 46Lbs (47"), Boostered in a Turbo, Vivo, Monterey, Cybex; harnessed in Nautilus
    Nanny to BabyD, 21 months in a RXT, Classic Marathon, Boulevard 70

Senior Community Member MANDY1234's Avatar

I don't talk about it...The ones that are really good friends know that we ERF and have talked to me about it. The don't ERF. Most think I am nuts in fact but I only have to ensure MY children are safe and don't have any reason to "prove" that I am right to others
    BrookeLynn 10, Payton 9, Mya 6, Quincy 5

I don't respond. I give them the info once and they can do what they want with it from there. And I try to lead by example by letting them see me strap my almost 3 year old in his RFing seat, and posting links on facebook.
    3 big kids in seatbelts
    1 in a Turbo booster or incognito
    1 in a Foonf

A rear facing seat does all of the hard work in a crash. As soon as I turn the seat ff'ing it's the child that has to do all of the hard work, specifically the child's neck and spine. I paid a lot of money for my car seats, and I intend to make them do the hard work in a crash. It makes no sense to make my childrens bodies do the hard work. They should just sit and be protected, for as long as possible (until they no longer fit rear facing).

That's about what I say, in a nutshell.
    Last edited by canadiangie; 05-02-2010 at 08:51 PM. Reason: added part about no longer fitting rf
    dd1 - 8y6m, hbb PWSGL
    dd2 - 7y3m, hbb PWSGL
    dd3 - 4y3m, ff advocate/frontier xt

8. Thank You from:

Quote Originally Posted by canadiangie View Post
    A rear facing seat does all of the hard work in a crash. As soon as I turn the seat ff'ing it's the child that has to do all of the hard work, specifically the child's neck and spine. I paid a lot of money for my car seats, and I intend to make them do the hard work in a crash. It makes no sense to make my childrens bodies do the hard work. They should just sit and be protected.

I love this! Great way to put it
    Mommy to Jazlynn, 18 months, RF in a Britax Marathon

Quote Originally Posted by canadiangie View Post
    A rear facing seat does all of the hard work in a crash. As soon as I turn the seat ff'ing it's the child that has to do all of the hard work, specifically the child's neck and spine. I paid a lot of money for my car seats, and I intend to make them do the hard work in a crash. It makes no sense to make my childrens bodies do the hard work. They should just sit and be protected.

That is an awesome way to put it.

I'm a little less nice about it....I usually say that "some children get lucky but I am not going to take a chance with my child's life. I'd rather be paranoid and KNOW that my child is safer rf'ing than play Russian roulette with his/her life...I'm sorry that you and too many other parents don't care enough"...its a bit harsh but I can't stand criticism from people who don't do their research.

Senior Community Member ProudMommysince09's Avatar

You know I dont know what to tell these people either, and I get similar responses, oh my doctor told me he is fine because he has a strong neck bla bla. I wonder what is so hard about installing a convertible RF and keep it that way.. I put up a carseat album on my FB just to let everyone see that my chunky, tall 14 mos old still fits RF. Guess what happened in response, 2 of my friends putting pics up of theyre kids in theyre Nautilus. One of them has barely an inch between buckle and chest clip, thats how tiny she is.
    Carmen, Mommy to Emma 03/2009 47lbs FF in FR85.

That is part of the reason why I became a tech. I figured maybe more people would take me seriously about car seats. I know that people still won't listen if they don't want too, but at least I can say well I'm a tech and this is what I was taught.

Zack 12/20/90 Taylor 5/11/98
    Austin 4/16/03 69lbs 58" Happily riding in Incognitos!
    Gavin 4/20/09 53lbs, 47" FF in an RXT, GN, and 2 FR85's
    DN Olivia 10/2/14 riding in an SR35

That's why I use the egg toss analogy. Anyone who has ever played egg or water balloon toss knows that you cup your hands to catch the egg/balloon to prevent it from breaking. Once you explain that a RF car seat does the same thing, most people get it - and also get a vivid mental picture of a broken egg that someone has dropped.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

CPSTs are educators, not evangelists. If you offer people information and they aren't interested, tell them that they know where to find you when they are ready to learn. (I admit that I am just a little stronger with actual misuse as opposed to not-best-practice.) You can't make people want to learn or change on your timeline, but you *can* turn them off by evangelizing.
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

^^Yes that. WE all know how much safer our toddlers are by rf, but in reality we are a small percentage of the population, most people do not erf their babes past the minimums. So that makes us "fringy", and coming off real strong and emotional about it easily turns people off, although I know it's hard not to be since it's something that we here are all passionate about. I think people are much more receptive to "here is why I do it..." than "this is what YOU should do".

CPS Fanatic

I sympathize. FWIW, even when you don't bring it up, this situation happens. Too many parents are threatened by others doing things differently than them, especially if the other person is being safer. I am referring to the wider spectrum, not just ERF.