Question Graco or Evenflow, which seat for primary

U

Unregistered

I have 2 infant buckets and need to choose which will be our primary seat.
They are both 3 years from manufacture date and have not been dropped or in an accident. No recalls posted for either. Both bases/seats buckle into my '05 Odyssey equally well, and will not be used as a carrier, but remain in the car.

So,...CPSTs is one better than the other...or is it a toss up?

1. Graco Snugride, 5pt harness, polystyrene side impact foam, LATCH base. 01/07

2. Evenflow Embrace, 5pt harness, polystyrene side impact foam, LATCH base. 03/07

My current youngest will be giving up his Britax Marathon (getting big brother's outgrown Regent) when this little guy is big enough for it, I don't really see us using either bucket for more than 3 months maximum.

Thanks for your input!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
How old is the current youngest?

Provided both fit in your car well, either is safe. The Evenflo must have at least 1.5" of space between the carseat and the front seat, and the handle must be down. So that makes it a very big seat front to back. The Graco's handle can be left upright. So provided they both fit, either is fine.

The Graco has a recall on it, however. The Evenflo does not.

Make: GRACO

Models: SNUGRIDE

Production Dates: August 1, 2006 - June 30, 2007

Defect: CERTAIN GRACO SNUGRIDE CHILD RESTRAINT SYSTEMS, MODELS 8609, 8616, 8643, 8645, AND 8646, MANUFACTURED FROM AUGUST 1, 2006, THROUGH JUNE 30, 2007. THE FIBER BACKING OF THESE SEATS ARE OF LESSER DENSITY AND MAY BE MORE PRONE TO DETERIORATION OR TEARING, ESPECIALLY AFTER WASHING. IN ADDITION, THE PARTICULAR DESIGN OF THE SEAT PAD MAY ALLOW MORE READY ACCESS TO THE UNDERSIDE OF THE PADDING.

Consequence: AN INFANT PASSENGER IN THE SEAT MAY REMOVE PIECES OF THE FIBER FILL FROM THE BACK OF THE SEAT PAD, PLACE IT IN THEIR MOUTHS, THUS CREATING A POTENTIAL CHOKING HAZARD.

Corrective Action: GRACO WILL NOTIFY ALL REGISTERED OWNERS AND OFFER A REPLACEMENT KIT FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON DECEMBER 20, 2007. OWNERS CAN CONTACT GRACO TOLL-FREE AT 1-800-345-4109 MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY BETWEEN 8 AM & 5 PM EST OR VISIT WWW.GRACOBABY.COM.

Notes: CUSTOMERS MAY CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

NHTSA No.: 07C011000

Wendy

4sweetboysmom

I am the OP, decided to register.
Baby is due in July. Current youngest will be just 3yo and weighs 27lbs. I would like to get current youngest to 30 lbs before I turn him to forward facing and into the Regent. He is already tall enough bottom to shoulder for the Regent.
Thanks for the heads up on the Graco recall for the fabric/polyfill. I had noticed it was in rough shape and was trying to figure out what to do for it.

lil.miss32

Provided your seat is not IN the recall, I'd choose the Graco. You'll get more use out of it (if you have more children) as Graco seats can be used until December of the 6th year. :) And the handle thing is a PITB.

4sweetboysmom

It is just the fabric liner affected by the recall, as far as I can tell, and it appears Graco will replace it. I am definately begining to lean towards the Graco for the handle thing/evenflo's needing to be back from the seat in front.

NannyMom

Do both seats have the harness adjuster in the front? Or does one (or both) have it in the back? I much prefer a front adjust harness. It's not a safety issue though, just convenience.

4sweetboysmom

The Evenflo adjusts on the front and the Graco adjusts on the back. For forward facing I have a strong preference for front adjust, but since it will basically be be used as a stay-in-car-seat and rarely removed, the fact that the Graco only adjusts on the back will not really be a drawback/may make it easier.

Kat_Shoshin

I have also noticed that the lowest harness height is lower on the Evenflo seats than on (most) Gracos. If this is the case, it might be best for your babe to start out in if he is a small NB until he fits better in the Graco (and while you are waiting for the recall parts to be sent to you.

That is, if the Evenflo fits in your car, because again,

Provided both fit in your car well, either is safe. The Evenflo must have at least 1.5" of space between the carseat and the front seat, and the handle must be down. So that makes it a very big seat front to back. The Graco's handle can be left upright. So provided they both fit, either is fine.

:D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC