New Frontier85 or the 80?

lorinick

We it be that big of a deal to get the old Frontier over the new one. Is there a huge diffrence? I could get the old one for 130 where as the new one would I could get for 200.00. What would you do? I will not being having any more kids. So will not bing passing it down.

ADS

Maedze

The Frontier 85 lasts longer in harnessed mode but is shorter in booster mode compared to the 80. Which child is it for? If it's for the 10 year old and you're looking for maximum booster capacity I'd choose the old 80.

I would not buy a Frontier for the two year old as it is a forward facing combination seat.

lorinick

The Frontier 85 lasts longer in harnessed mode but is shorter in booster mode compared to the 80. Which child is it for? If it's for the 10 year old and you're looking for maximum booster capacity I'd choose the old 80.

I would not buy a Frontier for the two year old as it is a forward facing combination seat.

My two year old is turning three in Aug. But I wasn't planning on using it just yet. Just thought it was a good deal and wondered if I should buy it. My guy is rf currently. But may change that at three. He weighes 31lb.

njmommy

well i have the 85 I got it because the comparison/reviews seemed better than the old 80. I like that it goes 5 lbs heavier because I want to keep my guy harnessed as long as possible.

Maedze

well i have the 85 I got it because the comparison/reviews seemed better than the old 80. I like that it goes 5 lbs heavier because I want to keep my guy harnessed as long as possible.

It's unlikely that your child will get to 85 pounds harnessed in that seat. As with most seats, the weight limits are quite generous and unrealistic, to accommodate parental error and extremely overweight children.

Unless there are particular special needs or delays that didn't come up in this thread, it's not necessary to 'harness as long as possible', but merely until he reaches the booster minimum weight of 40 pounds and has the maturity necessary, usually reached between 5 and 6 years of age.

ceruti82

I just bought the 85.

A friend who has the 80 said that she loves the seat (she has 2) but the few things she didnt like (not life changing, more of annoyances) were:

1. the straps were twisty (supposedly the 85 has better straps)
2. the buckle tongs would slide inside the seat (this was fixed on the 85 with a "stopper piece"
3. The cupholders took up a lot of side to side room (85 are part of the seat, not off the sides)
4. the mesh that went all the way to the front of the seat was snagging at the farthest point (mesh only goes halfway down now)

so basically, all her CONS of the 80 were corrected in the 85!! i was sold!

lorinick

Thanks all for the feedback. I'm going to wait and get the 85 when I need it. I like the new additions as well.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I have owned both and wil say that the 85 is way more compatible and easy to install from my experience.

I can install the 85 in about 1 minute rock my truck solid.

The 80 took me over an hour and still was barely acceptable.

I actually have another on the way since DH was impressed with the fact DD slept of over 2 hours and never once slumped forward.

Target has them for $237 right now if you have AAA you can get 10% off. $252.15 shipped standard.

Amazon did have them with prime, but stopped the prime on them.

skaterbabs

I have owned both and wil say that the 85 is way more compatible and easy to install from my experience.

I can install the 85 in about 1 minute rock my truck solid.

The 80 took me over an hour and still was barely acceptable.

I actually have another on the way since DH was impressed with the fact DD slept of over 2 hours and never once slumped forward.

Target has them for $237 right now if you have AAA you can get 10% off. $252.15 shipped standard.

Amazon did have them with prime, but stopped the prime on them.

Ditto. In fact I bought her original Frontier and it's a pain in my car too. ;)

I will say that I think it is actually very possible that a child with an average build will make it to 85 lbs or close to it in the F85. Back in the days of the Husky, my boys both outgrew that around 80 lbs, and they're long-torsoed (especially my younger one.) The Frontier 85 isn't quite as tall, but for a child with more average proportions, 85 lbs isn't unreasonable. That said, most kids don't need to be harnessed until they're ten. ;)

melniemi

I'd wait too and get the 85. I've never had a problem installing a seat quickly and solidly until the Frontier80. I despise installing that thing with a seatbelt. I found Latch to be very quick and easy, but I don't have latch in my van.

lorinick

I'd wait too and get the 85. I've never had a problem installing a seat quickly and solidly until the Frontier80. I despise installing that thing with a seatbelt. I found Latch to be very quick and easy, but I don't have latch in my van.

Thanks so much. That is great to know. An easy install means everything to me. Right there I know I need to wait and I need the 85. No my kids likely won't still be harnessed in. Ds1 is almost 10 and been out since 9.5. He is a great sitter. He only weighes 75lb now. But he is a gaint. Very tall. 100 percentile.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
I bought 2 FR85 for the extra harness height. I don't care as much about the weight...height limit for me, was the deal breaker. My 2yr olds will be 3 next month. One of them, has a really long torso...the other is a shrimp. But they have been FF since 2.5, so didn't see a reason to wait. They love their new seats. I love how low profile they are. The cup holders also double as foot props....my bigger twin put his feet in his cupholders and feel asleep that way! LOL

skaterbabs

FWIW, depending on your vehicle, the F80 may install very easily. It's worth trying them both if you can.

In my Suburban, the F80 is a PITA. In my FIL's Avalanche, it's easy as pie.

Ltaylor

LOVE my FR85 !! SOOOO easy to install. Love the low profile of it. its easy for DD to get in and out of.

The harness height and seat depth was a big thing for me too.

I bought mine from Chitchatbaby for $223 with code and free shipping. I got it the next day. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC