Gentle Laundry Detergent?

SPJ&E

You might remember my post asking for suggestions to relieve my sons' eczema (thank you all for your responses, by the way) and now I'm asking for laundry detergent suggestions.

Pacey is potty training now and I thought for sure the constant rash he has on his butt cheeks would clear up once he was out of diapers and getting plenty of air, but nope. It's actually got a whole lot worse!! So my only guess is that it's the laundry detergent.

Right now, his clothes are washed in All Baby, which I know has fragrances and can be tough for the skin. We also have Sun Classic, which is supposed to be good for baby clothes and cloth diapers. We also have some All Free and Clear. I got all of his clothes that had just been washed and rewashed them in All Free Clear, so we'll see how that goes.

Any other suggestions??

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
A friend of mine with super sensitive skin and (her and her kids both have it) swears by mainstream Tide Free liquid detergent, it's fragrance and dye free. I've heard Tide Free is not a good option for laundering cloth diapers though, just in case you're one of the many who use cloth on the board. :)

SPJ&E

Thanks! I was thinking about the Tide Free, but didn't know if it would be a good choice for sensitive skin since I know it isn't good for cloth diapers. I don't use cloth diapers now though, so that wouldn't be an issue!

arly1983

We use All free & clear. I have heard it does ok with cloth diapers. We are having the opposite problem. DS has eczema rash doc thinks is because of something in disposables. So we are switching to cloth for both ( bc of many reasons i found when I was reading up on what disposables were made of) I have a cousin who uses the Purex free & clear.

MySillyKids

We use All free and Clear also. My DS#2 has horrible eczema, and its relativly gone. He's got some patches on his legs left. Stubborn eczema lol!

The thing you need to think about, is that ALL the clothes your family wears needs to be washed in it. That way its an all or nothing thing, and he cant get reactions off of my clothes (if they were washed in something else).

After switching, our clothes dont "smell" as good, but they are better on his skin! :)

Good luck!

SPJ&E

The thing you need to think about, is that ALL the clothes your family wears needs to be washed in it. That way its an all or nothing thing, and he cant get reactions off of my clothes (if they were washed in something else).

Thanks for the tip!

MySillyKids

Yea!! that was one of our BIGGEST issues!! DS#2 was STILL breaking out, then we switched ALL of us, and its cut back by like 75%!!

MySillyKids

Good luck with the PT'ing, my near 3 year old still isnt :(

he could sit in his poopy diaper all day! Ugh! :grumble:

Amaris

We use all free and clear, and when we visit DH's parents we use their tide free and clear. Both seem to do a pretty good job, but the all seems to be a bit better and since we plan on cloth diapering I guess we will be sticking with it since I've heard from several people now that tide doesn't do well on them.

skaterbabs

FWIW. we used ALL Free for years, but switched to plain old Purex and have had no problems with it at all.

super_grape

My Mom SWEARS by Charlie's soap! My Stepdad has super sensitive
everything and they find it works very well for them.
She says the stain remover gets out anything too.
We use Nellie's soap (kinda like Charlie's but I think Charlie's is better)
and it's good as well....it may be Canadian tho.

SPJ&E

Thanks you all! If the All Free Clear doesn't work, I'll definitely check into the Charlie's Soap (I'm reading on the site and it sounds great).

Good luck with the PT'ing, my near 3 year old still isnt :(

he could sit in his poopy diaper all day! Ugh! :grumble:

Thanks! He's doing awesome with it so far...this is day 6. He's had accidents here and there, but overall, he's doing great...I'm really proud of him!

He was so ready...he knew when he was peeing or pooping and would tell me...then when he was done, he'd grab a diaper and lay down in the floor and say "Change it mommy!" I figured if he could do all that, he could do all that in the potty!

Good luck to you...I'm sure your 3 year old will get there...they sure can be stubborn sometimes, lol!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Thanks you all! If the All Free Clear doesn't work, I'll definitely check into the Charlie's Soap (I'm reading on the site and it sounds great).

Thanks! He's doing awesome with it so far...this is day 6. He's had accidents here and there, but overall, he's doing great...I'm really proud of him!

He was so ready...he knew when he was peeing or pooping and would tell me...then when he was done, he'd grab a diaper and lay down in the floor and say "Change it mommy!" I figured if he could do all that, he could do all that in the potty!

Good luck to you...I'm sure your 3 year old will get there...they sure can be stubborn sometimes, lol!

Yeah, I like the All, too.. in the super compact powerful tiny size...it's SO cheap at walmart, last time I looked, like a buck cheaper a bottle than target? It's been awhile...if you were closer I'd give you my supply of that, I just bought a bunch before I bought a 5 gallon tub (1280 loads... a couple years, even for me) of charlies, rofl!

nisi

Senior Community Member
Julie beat me to it ;) but I'll add my vote for Charlie's. I LOVE the stuff. I bought it to try on diapers and I ended up switching to it for all the laundry. I could go on and on but I'll spare you. :)

I see a lot of people like All F&C. I'm kind of surprised because when I tried it for dd2's diapers, she got horrible rashes (and any rash was rare with her). It was fine in the regular laundry, though. Go figure.

cpsaddict

My mom gets rashes instantly with almost any soap, but she uses Purex liquid and has no problems at all. She can use any of the different scents, but the minute she switches to even any of the Free and Clear, she has terrible rashes on her legs. I get them somewhat, but not nearly as bad.

skaterbabs

Yep, we use the Purex powder and itworks great for us. Most things make me itch horribly, so I tend to not shop around when I find something cheap that works. :rolleyes:

skaterbabs

Yep. I just wish I could get it in a biggre box. The $3 box from wal-mart lasts us about 3-5 weeks, depending, but I'd love to get one of those big 5 gallon tubs of it. LOL

racesmom

Senior Community Member
My day care girl was getting nasty rashes and they discovered it was her bath soap. It doesn't seem to bother her skin anywhere else, but her bum. They switched to a natural bath bar and her bum healed right up.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC