Bicycle Helmets

ADS

tweetykl

That is a really good question because I bet mine has. I think I got it middle school. Luckily I have not rode my bike in a bit.

natysr

Well, motorcycle helmets are good for 5 years. So, I would say Yes. Bicycle helmets expire.

For an adult helmet, I would feel good following that 5 year rule.

For kids, I would replace them as the kids outgrow them (ie. not pass them down to younger siblings), because kids are rougher on their stuff and more likely to have dropped them.

Technically, if a helmet is dropped, it should be replaced. But Jordan has dropped his a few times, and we haven't replaced it.

vamom

When I was looking at a new ski helmet for ds I read a few things that said new bike helmets and other sport helmets every 3-4 years, after a wreck, etc. I replaced ds's ski helmet and bike helmet this year. I still need to get him a new riding helmet. Mine too - mine is ancient.

skaterbabs

I read every three-five years, and immediately after a major impact (such as a child having an accident while wearing it or dropping it really hard.)

Athena

I asked about this at our bike shop the other day, but was just told to throw them out after a collision or lots of sweating in it. But it makes sense that the materials would degrade over time and that was the reason I was asking. My DD's toddler sized bike helmet that we bought two years ago has barely been used to the point that it looks like new and was always stored inside. What would you do with that one? It seems so wasteful to throw it out.

sweetfeet

Well right now we're going through a helmet per child about every 2-3 years due to growth. I'm not saving them because I have a girl and boy who are 4½ years apart. I do think they would expire. I always replaced my riding helmets every 3-4 years because it seemed like a good idea and they were usually disgusting even though I took good care of them. I will continue to replace helmets once they do slow down with growth because I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Athena

Two years old? I'd keep using it, personally. I just passed down the One's toddler helmet to the Three.

Thanks. I feel like it is fine to use (espec given the condition), but the thing is, we have outgrown it (DD2 has a big head so there is no handing down of helmets and hats for us) so I need to decide what to do with it.

Someone mentioned that if they are dropped, they should be trashed. But if you buy them somewhere like Target, how many of those helmets have been dropped in the store? We bought at the bike shop so there is less chance of that, but I would think most people would buy somewhere like Target. Just got me thinking about this.

natysr

I'm surprised that these kiddos are outgrowing helmets.

Jordan is 5 1/2 and still fits in the same helmet that we got him when he was a year old. (Giro ME2). Though we are on our 2nd helmet of that model. His helmet has a dial on the back so it is very very adjustable.

hsjwmom

Yeah, my girls still fit in their old toddler helmets...they just looked odd. lol

Oddly enough, the newer helmets that they tried fit a lot more age appropriately. Like the 5+ were too small and the 8+ fit nicely.

I finally bought the older girls new helmets, but I'm having trouble finding one for the little one. All I've found at Target is ones for 3+. I hate to buy one online without trying, yk?

Athena

Jordan is 5 1/2 and still fits in the same helmet that we got him when he was a year old. (Giro ME2). Though we are on our 2nd helmet of that model. His helmet has a dial on the back so it is very very adjustable.

Some of the small helmets are not adjustable. :)

Last edited:

Athena

Yeah, my girls still fit in their old toddler helmets...they just looked odd. lol

Oddly enough, the newer helmets that they tried fit a lot more age appropriately. Like the 5+ were too small and the 8+ fit nicely.

I finally bought the older girls new helmets, but I'm having trouble finding one for the little one. All I've found at Target is ones for 3+. I hate to buy one online without trying, yk?

Have you tried the 3+ on her? A toddler can have a larger head than some 3 yos. Otherwise, do you have a good local bikeshop? They should be able to determine the right size and fit.

hsjwmom

Yeah, I tried the 3+ on her and they were too big. That was several months ago...maybe I need to try again. There are a couple of sporting places that might have something. I guess I'll have to suck it up and go to one of them.

Zappa

DH and I have been recreational cyclists for years and I have purchased many child helmets over time to take nieces/nephews/babysitting charges on rides with me.
Now that I have my own child I of course bought her a helmet as well.

The [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EPIEEA/ref=oss_product"]Giro ME2[/ame] is the best toddler/child helmet I have ever bought and I highly recommend it to anyone with young kids. I bought it for my DD last spring and have been using it ever since. She is a mid/large sized 3 yr old and has plenty of growing room. At roughly the same price as Target helmet, you will definitely get more bang for your buck. As for expiration, I always replace my helmets every 4 years or so.

Pixels

My toddler helmet thread from a little while ago, which I posted after having the same problem you are having.

I ended up with this one. It also comes in a blue, with ... sharks? on it. DD wanted the "teddy." It fits quite well.

hsjwmom

Hmmm. I need to check dd's head measurement. I really like Bell helmets and I'm sure she'd love that bear one, too.

Athena

Yeah, I tried the 3+ on her and they were too big. That was several months ago...maybe I need to try again. There are a couple of sporting places that might have something. I guess I'll have to suck it up and go to one of them.

That's too bad it didn't fit. I had the best luck getting expertise and a good selection of toddler helmets at the little locally owned bike shop. I wouldn't count on big box sporting places to offer the same service, but I hope you find what you're looking for.

krasota

My son has always had a big head, but not big enough for the 3+ helmets at big box stores (at least not when he was 18-24mo). He has a L'il Bell Shell toddler helmet. It's more rounded, less aerodynamic. His is the red baby dinosaur design.

I highly recommend visiting your local bike shop. Grandma ordered this one online before I could get to a shop, but I was quite happy with the fit.

We'll replace it after a hard fall or if we notice any cracks in the foam. He has flipped over the handlebars, but he landed on his side/shoulder and his head didn't crack against the sidewalk.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC