April 30 Recall -Infants & Children Tylenol, Motrin, Zyrtec, Benadryl (worldwide)

rochelle

"Fort Washington, PA (April 30, 2010) – McNeil Consumer Healthcare, Division of McNEIL-PPC, Inc., in consultation with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), is voluntarily recalling all lots that have not yet expired of certain over-the-counter (OTC) Children’s and Infants’ liquid products manufactured in the United States and distributed in the United States, Canada, Dominican Republic, Dubai (UAE), Fiji, Guam, Guatemala, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Panama, Trinidad & Tobago, and Kuwait. (SEE RECALLED PRODUCT LIST BELOW). "

http://www.mcneilproductrecall.com/page.jhtml?id=/include/new_recall.inc

ETA:
"Autor said the agency's findings showed that McNeil bought contaminated raw material from its vendors, which tested positive for a type of bacteria that the the FDA has not yet identified.

The FDA found there were no written procedures to ensure "the identity, strength, quality, and purity" that the drugs produced there were said to possess."

Last edited:
ADS

Qarin

Fort Washington, PA (April 30, 2010) – McNeil Consumer Healthcare, Division of McNEIL-PPC, Inc., in consultation with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), is voluntarily recalling all lots that have not yet expired of certain over-the-counter (OTC) Children’s and Infants’ liquid products manufactured in the United States and distributed in the United States, Canada, Dominican Republic, Dubai (UAE), Fiji, Guam, Guatemala, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Panama, Trinidad & Tobago, and Kuwait. (SEE RECALLED PRODUCT LIST BELOW).

ALL lots.

I have generics, from Walgreens. It's not clear to me how to figure out where they were manufactured (I looked up what I could at fda.gov), but I won't be too surprised to find they're made in the same place.

This seems like a really huge deal.

tiggercat

I am confused. I have a bottle of children's motrin here (that I literally just gave Sam because he is feverish and in pain from teething) and I can't find the NDC number on it. It is unexpired. Should I be worried?

Qarin

The NDC number should be right above the name of the medicine, and should be labeled with the letters "NDC". It's printed on the label, not stamped like the lot# and expiration date.

tiggercat

The NDC number should be right above the name of the medicine, and should be labeled with the letters "NDC". It's printed on the label, not stamped like the lot# and expiration date.

It is not there. There is a DIN number (02242365) and an exp/lot number (10/11 SPM012), and an unidentified number in a little box (7840030) on the back of the label but no other numbers anywhere. I guess I will call later.

Qarin

Here's a picture of childrens motrin. The NDC is top-center on the label:

motrincropped.jpg

Harder to see on this box of infant motrin, but there it is, between "see new warning for information" and "for ages 6mo to 3 years":

infantmotrin.jpg

mom2juliarose

Well, wonderful. We have a bottle of Motrin and a bottle of Tylenol (dye-free) that have been recalled. Am I missing something, though? What is supposed to happen in terms of getting a refund for the products we have? I'm not a big fan of buying name-brand for medicine, but DH insists on doing so when it comes to acetomenophin and ibuprofen...and they're not cheap!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Awesome. We have one new, unopened bottle of Motrin and two (at least--there might be more somewhere else) Zyrtecs. All recalled.

I also have at least two bottles of Kirkland "Aller-Tec" which is made by the same company. It doesn't appear to be on the recall list, but I'm wondering what makes it different. (Different manufacturing plant, perhaps, but that seems inefficient.)

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Is there a plan to reimburse people for these products? I swear I read the press release a dozen times and didn't see it. I just discovered another bottle of Motrin, too.

abacus2

I just called. Apparently they are planning to send out product replacement coupons for people who call in, but "their system is down" so there's no way for them to take my information and I'll have to call back Monday or so I was told after waiting on hold for about 15 minutes to speak to someone. :thumbsdown: I have 5 affected products and no other children's pain medicine in the house.

tiggercat

I bet that Tiggercat's is different because she is in Canada.

Here is the Canadian Press release. Looks like fewer products are impacted.

http://www.mcneilcanada.com/en/downloads/JJ_Release_on_April30.pdf

ETA - your # is impacted :(

We are dealing with the same thing. DS is sick and DH just bought new children's tylenol and motrin. there is nothing I can give him until I can get to the store and buy the generic brand.

You got it, thanks. So, what exactly are we supposed to do if our kids needs meds? ugh.
ETA, looks like our tylenol is ok, so we have that. Not sure that I trust it though!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I just called. Apparently they are planning to send out product replacement coupons for people who call in, but "their system is down" so there's no way for them to take my information and I'll have to call back Monday or so I was told after waiting on hold for about 15 minutes to speak to someone. :thumbsdown: I have 5 affected products and no other children's pain medicine in the house.

Cool. We bought all of ours at Costco, so I'll probably just return them rather than wait for coupons.

I called Costco corporate to see if they have info about the AllerTec, but they didn't. It's distributed by the same company, but it looks like it's manufactured by someone else, but al of this name-brand/off-brand stuff is so convoluted.

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
Well, that's just great. I have 3 bottles of Benadryl and 3 bottles of Motrin (1 of each upstairs, downstairs, and in the diaper bag). At least I have chewable Tylenol and individual Benadryl doses on hand until I can get to the store (I'm at home with a sick kiddo). If it were just 1 bottle, then I don't know if I'd bother to put the energy into calling them (I'm lazy), but with 6 bottles, I'd like the replacement coupons.

simplychels

Oh lovely. Guess whose DD was given motrin 1 hour ago?? Mine. And I just checked and it's in the recall batch.

I wish they were more specific in terms of risks children are at if given the expired product. I mean sometimes these things are so minor that it's really of no concern, and other times its really something you don't want them to have at all.

hel

I wish they were more specific in terms of risks children are at if given the expired product. I mean sometimes these things are so minor that it's really of no concern, and other times its really something you don't want them to have at all.
As I read the press release, they don't know, because the recall isn't based on any reported incidents of harm.. if no-one has reported having problems, they can't give an indication of the effects.

::hands over shaker of salt:: I don't know this to be the case, and am guessing based solely on my reading of the release and my discussions with my father about his work in quality control. With that said, my first guess is that someone at the manufacturer realized that a machine was calibrated incorrectly, they don't know when it started, and they don't know exactly what the mis-calibration will do, but they can't take the chance that lack of reported problems means there's no risk. Not saying that's what happened, but it really wouldn't shock me to find out that was the case.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Thanks for the heads up on this recall. We have at least 5 affected liquid Benadryls between school, backpacks, purses, at home, and grandparent's houses due to food allergies for DD1 and DD2. :(

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Our Benadryl is affected-- and 2/3 gone. It hasn't hurt her and has done its job (and from what I understand it's more difficult to overdose on Benadryl than say Tylenol) but I'm glad we have loratadine in case she has an allergic reaction before it's replaced.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC