What is the difference in the Leapster and Leapster 2?

Holly

We're getting the girls a Leapster for Christmas this year.
I just found out that today and tomorrow Toys R Us has the regular Leapster on sale for $24.99 when it's normally $49.99! Tell me why I may or may not want that instead of the leapster 2.
Thanks!

ADS

CarSeatPoncho

Basically, the Leapster 2 can be connected to a computer. Kids can get ... something? points? codes? if they enter .... something? into some website. Maybe extra games? I think parents can also check their child's progress either by plugging the leapster into their USB port or by going to the leapfrog website. SOrry I have no other real info for you, because...

My son has had a regular Leapster for almost 3 years (which I don't think they even make anymore), with no computer or web capability and he never seemed to miss it. All the games work in every leapster.

I know these original models are still being sold on the leapfrog website, at a lower price than the leapster 2's. About a year and a half ago, leapsters were redesigned to look a little cooler, more like game controllers. I think they are also lighter, which can be a good thing or a bad thing. DS's is heavier, but basically indestructible.

Sorry this is rambling, but I think Leapsters are great -- you can't go wrong!

AliciaM

CPS Technician
My boys have Leapster 2's and we have never connected them to the computer, despite them having that capability. So the original would have been perfectly fine for us and I would jump on it for $25 :)

All the games are universal between the two consoles.

Holly

She answered that.

I noticed but wasn't sure if thats what she really meant. I wasn't sure if it was one of those things where once they upgrade systems the new system plays the old and new games but the old system can't play the new games.
Good to know that they can both definitely play new and old games. I'll have to go see if Toys R Us still has any left. I'll try to see if I can track down a Toys R Us ad too so I can price match at Walmart if Toys R Us is out.

sirrahn

We have both since I got a regular Leapster for DD1 before the Leapster2 came out, and they're basically the same as far as how to play. I have occasionally connected DD2's Leapster2 to the computer, but it's definitely not a must have feature I don't think. DD doesn't seem to care much about the rewards and while it's kind of neat for me to see how well she's done on the games, I'm not overly concerned about it either.

The Leapster2 does seem a little better designed (no extra cover that kind of just gets in the way and the pen is connected better) but neither of those are deal breaker features IMO.

Holly

Is it rare to find these on sale for this price?
I'm just wondering if I'll be able to find a similar sale if I'm not able to get these tomorrow.

AliciaM

CPS Technician
I don't think it happens super often. They're out of stock on the Toy R Us website so it must be a pretty good deal.

Northriver

The older model of Leapster was one of the Black Friday deals at Toys R US. I'm not sure but I think that might have been $25 or $29.99 - a great deal. I tried to get one but the line was just insane. I bought the Leapster 2 for $50 at Walmart, but have never connected it to the internet.

Either version of the Leapster is great, my niece has both. Our girls love theirs.

I'd jump on the $25 Leapster!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC