FF,FF,FF Radians across 3rd row of 2005 Honda Odyssey? Moved from Re: Successful Three Across thread

victor_4488

I've seen FF,RF,FF radian installs for 2005 Odyssey, but does anyone have successful install of FF,FF,FF Radians across the 3rd row of a 2005 Honda Odyssey?

Make/Model/Year: 2005 Honda Odyssey
Install method: Seatbelts , LATCH
Configuration of seats:3rd row, Forward facing Radian, Rear Facing Radian, forward facing radian.
Seats used: RadianXT, radian65, radian65.
Checked by a Tech: Yes, two. :p

8ce25e3d.jpg

ADS

Pixels

I haven't actually tried it, but based on that picture I think it's doubtful. The seat area of the Radian is 14 inches wide, the shoulders is 17 inches. So you need at least three more inches to do all FF than FF/RF/FF. It doesn't look to me like there's that much room in that picture.

victor_4488

Three across in the rear seat!

Just successfully installed three Radian XTSL seats in our 2005 Honda Odyssey Touring.

The trick is to install the left and right seats first using the locking clip and shoulder belts. Then install the center seat last using the latches. The new XTSL "super latch" seats will be safe for kids up to 80 pounds.

4581657145_07740ef5f0_o.jpg

hrice

Just successfully installed three Radian XTSL seats in our 2005 Honda Odyssey Touring.

The trick is to install the left and right seats first using the locking clip and shoulder belts. Then install the center seat last using the latches. The new XTSL "super latch" seats will be safe for kids up to 80 pounds.

The baby in the middle sure looks young. Did you FF just for the pic?

lil.miss32

The baby in the middle sure looks young. Did you FF just for the pic?

I just asked the same thing in the other thread. LOL.

monstah

The trick is to install the left and right seats first using the locking clip and shoulder belts.

You shouldn't need a locking clip on a 2005 seatbelt. And to use Super Latch, the car needs to be manufactured after September 2005. Have you checked to be sure your Honda is included in that?

I hope that middle guy is forward facing for a photo op. :(

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
It's very, very common for an '05 model year to be made much earlier in '05 and back to '04 as well. Normally, the following model years are in production in the fall already, so vehicles made after September '05 are usually '06 model years and not '05's.

So, victor_4488, check the DOM of your vehicle, should be on the driver's side door or door frame. If your vehicle is made prior to September '05 you can only use the SL to 40#.

ETA: case in point, I bought my '05 Escape in July '04 and the DOM was sometime in June '04.

Last edited:

Pixels

You shouldn't need a locking clip on a 2005 seatbelt. (

It may not be necessary, but using a locking clip ensures that all of the seats are tight enough and independent. When you reinstall, you have to make sure you get the seat at least as tight as it was when there was no seat next to it. Using a locking clip is the easiest way to do that.

Maedze

The likelihood that a 2005 Honda Odyssey was made after September 2005 is slim to none.

I have a 2005 minivan as well; the date of manufacture is early 2004.

Therefore, the LATCH limit is effectively 40 pounds in your van.

As the others have said, that baby appears to perhaps not even meet the bare legal minimums for forward facing (20-22 pounds AND 1 year of age).

That being said, we do not recommend a child of that age be forward facing at all, even if he does meet the legal minimums. We recommend for safety's sake that he remain in a rear facing position for several more years.

The best feature about the Radian XTSL is that it rear faces to 45 pounds, and you should definitely take advantage of that. Your baby can easily rear face to 4 years of age, which is certainly a safe age to then turn forward facing.

Have you used the top tether anchors for the children? How much do they weigh and are you or are you not using the SafeStop? :)

Maedze

The 2005 Odyssey only has one top tether anchor in the center position, so that is the only seat that could be tethered.

Excellent catch! I forgot about that burp in the Odyssey line up :rolleyes:

OP, I recommend turning your infant rear facing, and moving your older children to other seating positions with top tether anchors before driving the car with them in it :)

ame0312

Re: Successful Three Across thread

4581657145_07740ef5f0_o.jpg

that baby in the middle really needs to be rear facing! :whistle:

mam1937

I think you could do 3 ff radians, with the center one installed with latch. I just did a rf coccoro, ff radian, ff marathon. I didnt think it would work because the latch anchors appear off center, but they are actually pretty centered, its just the slits in the upholstery that is off center. I installed the 2 outboard seats first, then the radian. Then removed the two outboard seats and the radian was still in rock solid.
HTH-
Melanie

victor_4488

Wow, weird that these replies don't go to my email... do i need to subscribe even though I'm the OP? I guess so...

To all those that are worried, thanks!

Our child that is in the center is 14 months old and well above 20 Lbs ( the minimum weight for FF recommended by the manufacturer).

Our 2005 Odyssey Touring was manufactured 07/2005 so as some have mentioned, the latch anchors are only going to be able to secure a child 40lbs or less. I didn't know this so thanks! This is actually fine, since I can use the center seatbelt to secure the middle Radian... It's actually an easier install since the adjusting straps for the latch clips are a bit tricky to tighten.

For access reasons I needed FF,FF,FF otherwise I would have saved a lot of money buy purchasing a different brand if I could have done a FF,RF,FF config...

As for tethering, the Radian XTSL seats come with a secondary tether straps that allows you to securely wrap the tether around the base of the van's seat and anchor the Radian securely.

I always use a locking plate (even if it's not necessary) when doing a seatbelt install because it keeps the seat belts from slipping over time which causes the seats to become loose.

Thanks to all for the recommendations... I've been flamed for my multiple posts... I'm sorry 'bout that, but wanted others to know that it's possible and that if you want FF,FF,FF in a 2005 Honda Odyssey Touring, there's only one successful config.

Hope this helps!

Cryssy Jane

Wow, weird that these replies don't go to my email... do i need to subscribe even though I'm the OP? I guess so...

To all those that are worried, thanks!

Our child that is in the center is 14 months old and well above 20 Lbs ( the minimum weight for FF recommended by the manufacturer).

A 14 month old should still be rear facing... check out joelsjourney.org for more information why.

You child shouldn't be a minimum.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC