Input wanted -- Cold, sniffles, or allergy

Morganthe

Hi all,
I'm trying to make up my mind in the next 2 hours whether or not to take dd to her "Toddler Tuesday" gym class which she loves. I need some opinions to help me choose.
It's the last one before a 2 week 'spring break'. Well, at least the weather IS Springlike with the temp supposed to be over 80 degrees today :rolleyes:

We've had very high winds for the last 6 days. They settled down yesterday, but it's extremely dry and dusty. My eyes have been burning & feel like sand. DD had sniffles on Sunday, a full blown runny nose yesterday, and now she has a reoccuring cough that is phelgmy. She slept the night without too much trouble & just woke once from a wet diaper.

Her temperature is normal. Eyes are not her bright self, but that could be from the dust. She was actually rubbing them yesterday which I've never seen her do. Her appetite is normal, unlike a cold which usually cuts it off. But she nursed a lot this morning and that's something she does when she's about to go into a cold. Her mood is upbeat, but with an occasional whine.

DD really wants to go to class today. Usually, when she's really sick, she'd rather stay home. I've found that a Traminic chewable tablet for cold & cough will stop or lessen all these symptoms for 4 hours. (She HATES syrup, but loves the tablets). So she'd be able to run and play for the 45 minutes of class without any issues.

I just don't want to take her if she is coming down with a cold and pass it along to the other children. But I'm really starting to believe that this is because of the intense dusty warm conditions, just because she is pretty bouncy and happy..

So any thoughts on this?

ADS

Dillipop

I personally would take her. DS's preschools sick guidelines are uncontrollable running nose, unclear running nose, fever, uncontrollable cough...keep them home. Otherwise, they are welcome. She seems to fit into the welcome section so I'd take her. Just make sure she washes her hands (or uses hand sanitizer) if she coughs on them and that she is not licking the other kids! There will probably be kids there that are on the unwelcome symptom list, anyway.

southpawboston

i would guess allergy over a cold, based on the weather conditions you're describing. this past fall/winter i could have swore that i was getting colds left and right, until my doctor finally put me on allegra... i'm a new man now... all this time i thought i was constantly sick, and it was nothing more than allergies!

Morganthe

Thanks everyone for such a quick response. :D
Allergies won out and we went. She wasn't the only one with the same symptoms. All of us had some type of issue going on. In fact, the instructor was out because of severe allergies. :rolleyes: So it was 'free play' and she had a great time just wandering from one activity to another with her "bestest friends in the whole wide world" :p

Now it's quiet time and rest in front of Blue's Clues Jobs dvd from the library. "That's the News and now everyone knows.

I hope it rains soon to settle all this dirt down. Saturday was so windy out that the sky and air were a very dark YELLOW! Ick :( There was a tornado warning in the counties north of here and everything was blowing away. A friend lost half her fence and she's getting ready to sell her house :(

beeman

A General rule of thumb for determining cold or allergies is that cold mucus is yellow and allergy mucus is clear. Hope that helps with your identification.

MySillyKids

Now it's quiet time and rest in front of Blue's Clues Jobs dvd from the library. "That's the News and now everyone knows.

LOL I wanna be added to the newspaper! LOL

We used to be a HUGE blues clues house. We have moved on to oswald, bob the builder, disney's CARS, nemo, and the UPSIDE DOWN Show.

LOL.

southpawboston

A General rule of thumb for determining cold or allergies is that cold mucus is yellow and allergy mucus is clear. Hope that helps with your identification.

good point, i forgot all about that!!! (but colds can start out clear running, then turn yellow later on).

Morganthe

Oh great, now that really confuses the issue.... :p
Yesterday pm, her snot was yellow green ropes. This morning it was clear. By afternoon, back to colorful icky stuff :rolleyes:
She just can't help being complicated, it's her nature ;)

She's doing ok, but I can tell she's not up to her usual forceful personality. She was happily in her bed after only 3 books at 6:45pm. Sleeping and snoring less than 8 minutes after lights out. But she did have a busy afternoon after tv was off. Even helped hang out bird feed & played ball with daddy. It's a fulltime job being 3 1/2 :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC