I had to jump in on a conversation in BRU today

essnce629

I was in BRU today and walking down the carseat isle when I overheard a dad asking a salesperson for help. He said he had just bought a Britax FR85 and a Boulevard for his two kids and needed help installing the seats. The salesperson said she couldn't install his seats, but could show him on the display bench how to install it. She asks him if he needs it rear or ff'ing and he says ff'ing. So she puts it on the test bench and shows him how to install it using LATCH and then she tells him after he tightens the LATCH straps that he can go ahead and use the seatbelt at the same time! She then procedes to install it with the seatbelt over the LATCH install! This is when I walk over and ask if she just said it's ok to install with both LATCH and the seatbelt? She said yes, and that she tells all the customers this, and that some people don't have LATCH and would be using the seatbelt anyways so what's the problem with using both together!!!! I tell her that this is definately not ok and that it says so in the manual and that installing it this way has not been safety tested and would void the warrenty. I tell them I'm a birth and postpartum doula (not just some random crazy person) and the dad is really interested in what I'm saying. I ask him how old his baby is and he says 13 months and about 25lbs! I tell him he should definately keep her rf'ing as it's way safer than ff'ing and that the AAP recommends rf'ing till 2 years old or the limit of the seat. The salesperson says it's ok to ff at 1 year old since that what it says on all the carseat boxes. I say that is just the minimum limit, but not best practice and that no tech would recommend ff'ing a 13 month old that is 10lbs under the weight limit of their seat. She said she had never even heard of the AAP recommendation and had been working at BRU for 3 years! I ask the dad what seat his daughter is in currently and he says a Graco infant seat of some sort and he "thought" it had a 35lb limit. I explain to him that it's not outgrown till she either reaches the weight limit or has less than 1" of shell above her head. He then tells me that she definately has more than 1" above her head but that he was getting concerned since her legs were having to bend in the seat! I explain how the goal is to protect the head/neck/spine in a crash and that there's no data showing increased leg injuries in rf'ing kids, but there's definately data showing increased injuries in ff'ing kids. I tell him how older kids can sit rf'ing quite comfortably with their legs criss crossed, out to the side, or even up on the seat. The dad is very impressed with my knowledge and thanks me a bunch. He says the extended rf'ing makes sense. I tell him to make sure he reads his manual and tell him about the rf'ing tether and show him how to connect it and how it prevents rebound. I ask the age of his kid that will be riding in the FR85 and he says 4 1/2 :thumbsup:.

I'm glad I could make a difference!

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
:thumbsup: If she's been working at BRU three years, the only training she's gotten is the signs on the wall that say FF at 1 and 20, and the "class" that says, "turn them FF when the feet are at the edge of the seat". I'm dead serious.
I'm SO glad you said something. As long as those of us who know something are gentle, I think we can make a big difference when we step in (I have to remind myself of that, you should see my face when people rave about their mighty tites, :eek:)

StillThankful

Thanks for sharing the facts effectively--I'm so glad the man was receptive to your knowledge. The 13 month old is very blessed that you shared the info with her dad. Keep up the good work. I'm not so eloquent, so I'm going to start carrying written info in my baby bag just in case I come across this situation.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
:)

You could also point out to her that the Frontier has a 2 year old minimum to use it as a harnessed seat.

Athena

:thumbsup: If she's been working at BRU three years, the only training she's gotten is the signs on the wall that say FF at 1 and 20, and the "class" that says, "turn them FF when the feet are at the edge of the seat". I'm dead serious.

I have repeatedly written to BRU about this issue, the fact that their employees give out incorrect and unsafe car seat info, and I cannot even get a real response from them, much less them to do a thing about it! :mad:

Cryssy Jane

I have repeatedly written to BRU about this issue, the fact that their employees give out incorrect and unsafe car seat info, and I cannot even get a real response from them, much less them to do a thing about it! :mad:

I have too. I even volunteered to teach their buckle up and boogie 'class' that they teach parents. There are 3 local BRUs' to me. I've been to all 3 classes as an observer, all three gave terrible advice such as:
'turn them when their toes touch the back of the seat'
'you MUST turn them when they turn 1 or are 20lbs'
'kids should stay in carseats until they are 3 then they can go in a booster because that's easier and is a big kid seat'

I have never once heard back from anyone. I spoke to a couple of managers about these things and they said they'd get back to me, even gave them a copy of my tech card and my tech business card. I've heard nothing back. :(

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Great interception! Remember in BRU, you can walk over to the MyRide and point out the AAP recs right there on the tag of the seat. How's the employee going to look after the customer realizes that they aren't even reading the product cards that are RIGHT THERE on the product...not hidden in the instruction manual.

Susan

Last edited:

Athena

That's really bad for the BRU classes to be so misinforming. I wondered if it was a company/training issue because there are way too many people and locations doing it, but that fully supports a huge problem and the fact that the company is not inclined to fix it.

When I had baby #1, I went there a lot. As time has gone on, I've shopped there less and less because of this. It makes me cringe to even walk in that place.

Last edited:

AliciaM

CPS Technician
Good for you!

The other day at BBB I was trying my son in a Radian and an employee told me "oh, that's not the seat you want, he can go in a booster." If I'd been in a better mood I might have tried to educate but it had been a horrible day so I just gave her a quick "NO, this is the one I want" and ignored her. :rolleyes:

rodentranger

I have too. I even volunteered to teach their buckle up and boogie 'class' that they teach parents. There are 3 local BRUs' to me. I've been to all 3 classes as an observer, all three gave terrible advice such as:
'turn them when their toes touch the back of the seat'
'you MUST turn them when they turn 1 or are 20lbs'
'kids should stay in carseats until they are 3 then they can go in a booster because that's easier and is a big kid seat'

I have never once heard back from anyone. I spoke to a couple of managers about these things and they said they'd get back to me, even gave them a copy of my tech card and my tech business card. I've heard nothing back. :(
Have you gone to the Lynnwood store? I spoke with an assistant manager there named Tiffany who seemed quite receptive and asked me to come back with my card. Now I just need to get the time to go.

Well done Latia.

I was at baby depot last weekend checking DS's fit in the momentum. The sales lady proudly proclaims he's big enough for a booster & that's what I need. She was trying her darndest to get me to get him out of that seat & into a booster. I told her I was sorry but the 5pt harness is the smarter & safest option for him right now & then she proudly threw out that her 3yo twin boys sit in booster seats. I replied, "I'm happy for you but I practice best practice when it comes to car seat safety." She then tried to tell me that I obviously didn't understand enough about car seats to which I replied, "I know more than the avergae person as I am a CPST. Let me fully explain the benefits to extended harnessing for you." She listened to what I had to say but I clearly could tell that she still felt she knew more than I did.

I'm not usually that short w/ sales ppl or nosey bodies but DS wasn't in a fully cooperative mood at the time so I just wanted to test his fit & get out of the store.

medicmama

CPS Technician

:thumbsup: I have also written about this same issue. Makes me mad that they don't have to have some type of cert to give out car seat info.

zavyirsdaddy

Well done Latia.

I was at baby depot last weekend checking DS's fit in the momentum. The sales lady proudly proclaims he's big enough for a booster & that's what I need. She was trying her darndest to get me to get him out of that seat & into a booster. I told her I was sorry but the 5pt harness is the smarter & safest option for him right now & then she proudly threw out that her 3yo twin boys sit in booster seats. I replied, "I'm happy for you but I practice best practice when it comes to car seat safety." She then tried to tell me that I obviously didn't understand enough about car seats to which I replied, "I know more than the avergae person as I am a CPST. Let me fully explain the benefits to extended harnessing for you." She listened to what I had to say but I clearly could tell that she still felt she knew more than I did.

I'm not usually that short w/ sales ppl or nosey bodies but DS wasn't in a fully cooperative mood at the time so I just wanted to test his fit & get out of the store.

I work at Burlington Coat Factor/Baby Depot. The employees have ZERO training on anything in the baby section. In the store I work in it's 2 young guys and 2 women who work in baby depot, and none of them have any knowledge about carseats.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
That's really bad for the BRU classes to be so misinforming. I wondered if it was a company/training issue because there are way too many people and locations doing it, but that fully supports a huge problem and the fact that the company is not inclined to fix it.

When I had baby #1, I went there a lot. As time has gone on, I've shopped there less and less because of this. It makes me cringe to even walk in that place.

Yeah, I used to just cringe even driving by the place. Then I decided I'd just have to get a job there to see if I could make it better :love:

Supposedly there's a partnership with Safe Kids, but we never have any SK activity. The Graco pamphlets and SK DVD they play are absolutely excellent, but the 'speech' we are supposed to give while getting people to register for aftermarket products is terrible. I'm not sure what it's going to take to get things to change, probably about a thousand letters to some head honcho in corporate, because really nothing will ever be changed at the store level, that's just not where they have any time or power to do anything.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC