tell me about the usefulness of baby sleeping bags

christineka

I'm talking about the ones you put on baby like clothes. I have a bunch of warm, fuzzy ones that dd wore all fall and winter long. I've been putting her in regular pjs lately, though. (Dh complains that she can't crawl properly while wearing a bag. It's often too warm for the thick backs anyway.) The Aden and Anais cozy sleeping bags are on sale. They look lighter than the fuzzy ones we have. Also, they are sized up to 24 months. Is this a useful product to have? We're going camping this summer in the western mountains. It will get cold at night. Would a sleeping bag thing be good to have for camping? They are on sale today and so I am actually wanting to know if I should buy one.

ADS

fyrfightermomma

I would think so.

My babies are swaddled for a longgggg time (as in 10+ months). SO for them to go from that to nothing was too much, so when they were ready to wean from swaddling we went to the sleep bags. It was an easier transition and they used those for almost another year

Also, since E was a near SIDS baby (she was resuscitated), I was so paranoid about ANYTHING in the crib. So they never had anything else in their bed until they went to big beds at age 3. So blankets weren't an option to me and the bags kept them warm as well

I would think it would be an awesome idea for camping. You could do warm fuzzy jammies and the sleep sacks over it (fleece as well) and they should stay toasty warm!

lpperry

I love sleep sacks! Oliver used his all winter. It shouldn't matter if your LO can crawl in it. When she goes to bed she is in her crib, so where does she need to crawl to? I put jammies on Oliver and then when he was ready to get into his crib to go to bed, then I would put the sleep sack on him. He didn't crawl around the house in his sleep sack.

Also, Oliver was able to crawl around his crib, sit up, and stand up in his sleep sack. It's not restrictive like a swaddle.

jjordan

We used sleep sacks for dd until she moved out of the crib at age 2, and are planning to do the same for ds. As far as limiting crawling, well, if they're just wearing the sleep sack while they're supposed to be sleeping, I don't see the problem. In fact one of the reasons I like sleep sacks is that it makes it much less likely that my little climber toddler will climb out of the crib!

christineka

My dd is a co sleeper, so she's in my bed, not a crib. During the winter I tended to keep her in the sleep sacks for most of the day because I was worried about her feet getting cold. The only thick pjs with legs that we had were too loose and so she'd get her legs all bunched up. She instead learn to army crawl with the bag on. I've been letting her have her legs all the time for the past month and she's learned the standard crawl.

jjordan

Even with the crib issue aside, I don't understand why she needs to be crawling when she's in bed. I guess it could be an issue if you leave her in the bag when she's not supposed to be sleeping though.

keri1292

My dd is a co sleeper, so she's in my bed, not a crib. During the winter I tended to keep her in the sleep sacks for most of the day because I was worried about her feet getting cold. The only thick pjs with legs that we had were too loose and so she'd get her legs all bunched up. She instead learn to army crawl with the bag on. I've been letting her have her legs all the time for the past month and she's learned the standard crawl.

I wouldn't keep her in a sleep sack most of the day. There are things she needs to be accomplishing developmentally that would be too hard in a sleep sack. We used sleep sacks and had a very cold, old drafty house (and oil $$$ heat!). I bought two of the thick footed blanket sleepers and popped those on over their PJ's and socks every morning. It just takes a minute and lets babe have full mobility. I really liked sleep sacks for cosleeping. That way I wasn't tempted to share my blankets. :D

ctbcleveland

Christine, just so you are aware, Halo sells ones that free their feet if you want one to keep on her during the day.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Halo-Innovations-SleepSack-Wearable-Blanket/dp/B000W8PYXS"]Amazon.com: Halo Innovations Early Walker SleepSack Wearable Blanket Micro Fleece: Baby[/ame]

christineka

Christine, just so you are aware, Halo sells ones that free their feet if you want one to keep on her during the day.

Amazon.com: Halo Innovations Early Walker SleepSack Wearable Blanket Micro Fleece: Baby

I like that! It looks like it has lots of room for a cloth diaper. I think the cloth diaper is the big interference with the sleepers. Dd has to wear a size up to fit her diaper, but then the legs are too long for her and so hers get trapped while crawling/scooting, which she does in bed as well as out.

ErinGoBragh

I like The Children's Place one piece sleepers. They have some elastic by the feet so that they do not bunch up when they are crawling.:thumbsup:

ctbcleveland

If you choose to go the sleeper route, Absorba brand tends to be roomier than other companies. Wider in the waist and butt.

It is more expensive brand, we find their clothes at Burlington, Filenes, and TJ Maxx for decent prices.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC