$@%!&%#@! forward-of-the-bight seatbelts!!

ADS

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
ME TOO! :( (just trying to realate...lol)

But seriously to clarify, these are seatbelts that come from the center of the seat cushion, right? Are there ANY seats that install with these belts? I know that MA's cant...

scatterbunny

Yes, it's when the belt comes out of the seating portion, not from the seat bight (crease where seating portion and back portion meet).

My middle row has two seats, one is only an ALR (automatic locking retractor) lapbelt that is forward-of-the-bight by at least 4 inches. That's the spot I want Hayley in, for multiple reasons. It's the farthest spot from any point of impact, and I need to leave the shoulderbelt spots open for other passengers.

The only seats I have found that install well with forward-of-the-bight belts are ones with a reverse belt path (discontinued Fisher Price Futura that expires next year, and the Husky/Regent). But the Husky/Regent now does not allow the reverse/long belt path with only a lapbelt (they used to). Hayley is now too tall for the Futura (technically she's still even with the top slots in my van, but over the same top slots in other vehicles) and the Husky/Regent is the only seat that will give her any growing room.

So for now I am using it per the old directions, long/reverse belt path, lapbelt-only. Against manufacturer's rules. But I am comfortable with the install myself, I just wish I could get it to work the "correct" way for my upcoming tech class. I'll have to take it out and put the Futura back in for class.

I thought the recline bar would help, but nope. :(

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Urgh! :( why did they change the rule anyway :confused: Won't the Futura be expired :eek: (Expired vs. old installation rules :rolleyes:)

lovinwaves

I hear ya Jenny!!! My Odyssey third row has one in the middle spot!! I absolutely cannot get my Roundabout or Marathon to install well there!!

((((ranting some more with jenny))))))

scatterbunny

The Futura expires next year (good for 8 years, made in late 2000). :)

Okay, I can't say if this is 100% truth because I got the info second-hand from a tech, not straight from Britax (don't know that they'd admit this anyway), but it's enough to make me feel comfortable using the old install rules:

With the long path/lapbelt-only, no tether (because remember, seats must pass testing without a top tether in the US), there was too much head excursion.

With the short path/recline bar/lapbelt-only it passed, so they changed the rules to say if you use a lapbelt-only, it MUST be with the recline bar and it MUST be the short path.

So, knowing that the reason is increased head excursion, I'm willing to do it the old way, long belt path, lapbelt-only, no recline bar, tethered to a third row seatbelt. I feel perfectly safe with it this way, but I wanted to do it "right" for the tech class. I had hoped the recline bar would make the seat stick out far enough that the forward-of-the-bight belt wouldn't cause trouble, but it didn't help. I tried every trick I know, too.

I would never recommend anyone else use the old install rules, though. It's strictly my parental decision.

scatterbunny

Yep, we did use a Laptop there for awhile! :p My dd finds it too confining, though, and another board member desperately needed one a few weeks ago, so I sent it to her. It does expire later this year.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
My dd doesn't like the feeling of the laptop either, but it's what she used when we flew across country to visit my inlaws and after my grandma died and we traveled to go to her funeral. She is old enough now that I will just take her booster next time but I think I want a Compass and a GO for traveling in the future, but I don't think we will be going anywhere anytime soon, so neither are urgent.

Dh uses the laptop for the rare times he has ds in his car, and I use it when I have other kids in my care, it fits a wide variety of children & it's easy to store!

They really do need to come out with some better options for lap belt only seating positions.

You said you have a van right? why not just install w/a shoulder belt?

scatterbunny

If I installed it with a lap/shoulderbelt it would leave me with only two shoulderbelt positions for other passengers, and I sometimes have all three spots full of those who need the shoulderbelts.

Also, I can't get tether anchors installed (well, technically I can, but Mazda wants over $200 to do ONE anchor, and they can only be put in the two outboard third row spots), so I need to have the seat in the middle row, tethered to the third row lapbelt (so I don't take away a lap/shoulderbelt spot).

It's all a big mess, really. I wish I'd never bought this van. It was an awesome deal, we paid cash, $1900, for it, at the time that Britax still allowed the long belt path/lapbelt-only install. It was perfect for our needs.

scatterbunny

I just need to have a baby so I can move Hayley to the third row and install a rear-facing seat in that lapbelt-only spot. I have a feeling I could get certain RF seats to work there. I might have to play around with my friend's 2yo's Touriva. She'll have a Marathon or Safe Voyage Deluxe soon, so I can try those, too.

And I'm just having major baby fever right now, a baby is probably not in my future. :p

beebear23

Senior Community Member
ITA!!!!! My moms 1996 Grand Prix has them and I HATE them. Thankfully the RA was pretty easy, but the Generations is a major PITB to install in there... Ugh..

LuvBug

you know I feel your pain ;)
Have you tried it with the recline bar? I know you were asking for one, so I assume you didnt have one to start. Did you get one?

scatterbunny

Yep, I posted about it somewhere, not sure where, LOL. I got the recline bar today and tried to install it three different times, but it makes no difference. :( I tried every trick I know, twisting the female end and using the van seat's recline feature, bouncing on the seat with my knees, pushing the front of the seat with my knees, nothing would get it tight. :(

scatterbunny

Yeah...maybe. I have a feeling I'm going to end up doing it the way I originally had it, though.

I might install it in my third row, lap/shoulderbelt, long belt path, recline bar (because without a top tether the recline bar is necessary), that way it will at least be a currently approved method. My manual is the one from 2002 that came with the seat, I do not believe it's had the update forbidding the long belt path with a lapbelt-only, so technically if the instructors don't know of the update they'll go by the manual and think it's fine? :p Only kidding.

Hayley's close to 50 pounds now, so the third row, lap/shoulderbelt long path, recline bar will only work for another few pounds, then it will have to go back in the middle row so I can tether to a third row seatbelt.

LuvBug

Was there a recall on that method? or did they just change it in the newer manuals?
Id think, unless they issued a recall, then it would be ok as long as you top tethered. I, of course, am not a tech, but if I was in your situation Id be tempted to do the same lol!

scatterbunny

Here's what the recall list says:

"Use of the long belt path with a lapbelt only may allow excessive forward head movement in a crash. Call for new labels and instructions; use the short belt path and recline bar."

LuvBug

hm, yeah. I think I might be ok with it using the recline bar and tethering lol!
I personally would just move DS outboard, but I dont have an issue with DS outboard in his husky/regent in our vehicles. I of course do not have your van so I dont know what I would do...

Can you move your second row to the back and your third to the front? I dont think this is possible on older vehicles, but worth asking.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC