baby is due sept 1st

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
ds will turn 6 in sept and we are trying to booster train him before new baby
arrives any suggestions would be appreciated
baby is due sept 1st

I'm..not sure what you are asking?

Are you looking for booster recs? What is his size? Is he ready for a booster?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Some 5yos are just not ready for boosters (mine was one of them) and no amount of "training" can compensate for the lack of readiness.

What kind of help are you looking for?

vangelder03

Some 5yos are just not ready for boosters (mine was one of them) and no amount of "training" can compensate for the lack of readiness.

What kind of help are you looking for?[/QUOTE
i have no idea this is my first kid and first attempt at booster training
he seems to sit okay in the booster until he sleeps which is almost every car ride then he tends to slide down under the belt and then it rests on his tummy
we are locking the seatbelt and making it as tight as possible
the booster seat is a recaro vivo
weight is 36lbs with clothes and shoes
height 42 inches
torso 16 inches
he currently rides in a truefit and we are on the top harness slot with no growing room left
ethan really wants to ride in a booster but what i guess i am really asking is if i should just buy him a new carseat and worry about booster training later i think all the pressure from being pregnant is clouding my judgement thanks

myliljunebugs

It honestly sounds like he is just too small, that is what my DS did at about the same weight and height (although younger) and I had to keep him harnessed until he outgrew that stage. I would try a harnessed seat with taller slots for now, I believe the Evenflo Maestro has 18" top slots and a 50lb weight limit which would fit him for quite a while to come if his toros is only 16". It is a reasonably priced seat also. I never did figure out a way to "train" while they are sleeping so I just avoided until he was older.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
He's a little guy!! I'd get him a combo seat...one that is less 'carseat like' but that still has a harness for him to use for another year or so until he A) either quits sleeping in the car or b) gets big enough to fit better so that if he does nap, he doesn't slouch in the seat.

My boys' big sisters are 7 & 8, and are HORRID booster riders. When they ride with me, they both ride in a harness. Some kids just can't safely 'do' boosters until they are quite a bit older.

all together ooky

Agreed with PPs. If he's falling asleep for almost every ride then he's much better off in a harnessed seat. Look at getting him a Maestro or if you can swing it, a Nautilus.
My 6-year-old is about 47" tall and 50lbs and still rides harnessed in a Frontier and Nautilus.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
yep, totally have to agree, if he falls asleep in the car, that is a prime reason NOT to boostertrain.
He is so tiny, boosterfit was going to be difficult anyway, but sleep[ing, hence slouching is going tomake him a very poor candidate for a booster right now.
The maestro or nautilus would give him the growing room he needs height-wise, and both look a lot more like a "big kid booster", especially the nauti, rather than a little kid car seat.

christineka

Uh, my 10 yo falls asleep in the car. She rides in a backless. I fall asleep in the car too if I'm not driving. That doesn't mean that my 10 yo, nor myself need to be in 5 point harnesses. The thing is that the child needs to be able to stay in place. Have you checked the recline of your van's seat behind the booster? It may be that the seat is just too upright for him? I find the vivo a bit roomy for my dd who is about as skinny as your ds. She fits great in the bodyguard, though you can't find those any more. Maybe one of those smaller boosters like the combi kobuk would be better?

my2kidsSafe

i agree that he doesn't seem ready for a booster. If you need a booster for occasional usage or in a grandparents car something to that extent i think i would go with the parkway sg with the antisubmarining clip.

ETA my 6 year old is 50 lbs and still harnessed in a radian and a regent.

vangelder03

thanks for helping we ended up with a nautilus form babies r us
we got a great deal on the seat and only paid $110 for it he is on the second to last slot with a small amount to grow and he doesn't weigh enought for the britax sg booster seat

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC