If you had a 7 passenger Sienna and had to transport 6 kids,

wendy1221

Where would you seat them? My ds's 2 friends/neighbors are staying with us for a few days while their parents are away. They are 8 and almost 11. My 3 younger kids are all still in seats. My oldest doesn't use a booster anymore, hasn't for several months now. I had to take them all somewhere yesterday, and did what seemed best, but I wanted to check here to see if there was a better way. My oldest ds the tallest, at almost 11 years old, but he only weighs about 65-70lbs. I'm not sure how tall exactly he is now, but he comes up to my chin, so about 4'10, I guess. I put him in the front seat next to me in a backless booster and moved his seat as far back as possible w/ baby sister's rf seat behind him. Ds2 and ds3 rode in their regular seats, and the neighbor boys sat in the rear bench w/ just seat belts. :( I don't have any extra boosters for them, and their parents got rid of theirs as soon as they hit 8 (law here.) They are both tiny and should still be in boosters, but I did the best I could, I think. They are about the same height, not much taller than my 6 year old, who is short for his age.

I wasn't planning on having to take them all somewhere, but my dh couldn't leave work to take ds1 to Hebrew school. I don't think it's going to come up again, but just in case, what do you think?

Btw, I checked to make sure, and the airbag wasn't on. I could tell b/c the seatbelt light flashes if someone is sitting there when I start the car if they don't have the seatbelt light on. It didn't come on when I had him unbuckle then rebuckle so I could check. I'm not sure how much I trust that, but it did make me feel a little better.

ADS

lpperry

Are any of your kids harnessed ff? I thought that it was safest to put the oldest ff harnessed child in the front. I am not sure if this was just safest if you are choosing between harnessed ff and rf though. Not sure where the booster comes into play.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
The technically correct answer is oldest harnessed child in front, but I personally would probably prefer to see an 11yo in a backless booster up front than a 4yo in a harnessed seat.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I agree. The standard answer is oldest harnessed child, but I'd rather see a child in a backless (or no) booster up front, as far back as possible, than a forward-facer in an untethered seat up front.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
IMO/IME, the "oldest harnessed up front" comes into play when there are four kids under five (for instance) and the choice for up front is 4yo in booster or 3yo in harness, not 11yo in booster or 4yo in harness. Sometimes common sense counts too. :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I agree with that too. But don't try to tell that to the Instructor who taught my class. ;) (We had a slight, um, difference of opinion, though she conceded that I made a valid point.)

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
IMO/IME, the "oldest harnessed up front" comes into play when there are four kids under five (for instance) and the choice for up front is 4yo in booster or 3yo in harness, not 11yo in booster or 4yo in harness. Sometimes common sense counts too. :)

Yes this...I use the "oldedst harnessed child" UNLESS there is an ADULT-SIZED child/teen, in which case I tend to go with the adult-sized person.
In this case, 4'10 and 70 isn't quite truly adult-sized, but pretty close.

wendy1221

Thanks! I'm glad to know most of you all would have done it this way. :) They're leaving to go with their cousin right after school tomorrow, and dh should be home from work soon, so it looks like I'm getting away w/out going anywhere again w/ both of them plus all 4 of mine. They walk to school in the AM or my dh drops them off an his way to work. But I do ocassionally watch them after school as well. Hopefully I won't ever have to take them all anywhere again, we could walk to the store if we had to, but I'll do it this way if it does happen.

btw, my 4yo is still harnessed in his Frontier, but I really wouldn't feel as comfortable having him in front of an airbag as I did my 10yo. My 10yo was at least my height in his backless booster, if not taller, so at least the airbag wouldn't be hitting him stright in the face like it would my 4yo if it malfunctioned and went off anyway in an accident. Plus that Frontier is a PITA to move! oh, btw, I measured my ds, I think he's 4'8, not 4'10 like I thought. But like pretty much everyone except me in this family, he is long torsoed.

leighi123

Didnt you say in another thread that your oldest doesnt ride in a booster b/c he passes the 5step test? If thats the case, I'd give his booster to the younger of the neighbor kids, and put the oldest harnessed child in the front, and your oldest in the seat where he fits w/out a booster.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC