booster recommendation

swtgi1982

my friend insists on putting his DD (almost three) in a booster, she is 42lbs. I know it is not best, but what seat would you recommend to be safest in this case, if he is set on it?

She is 42lbs currently in a 40lb harness seat (so which is better seeing her in an outgrown harness or a correctly used booster?)

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
A correctly used booster is better than in incorrectly used harnessed seat, but a 2yo cannot use a booster correctly. I would not be comfortable recommending any booster under those circumstances: it's not just "not best", but very unsafe and I would say that.

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
This must be a very frustrating situation for you to be in. How much is he planning to spend on a booster? Yes, a 42 pound kid is not safe in a 40 pound harness, but a 2 or 3 year old isn't safe in a booster, either. It really shouldn't be an either or scenario; neither is safe; a child in this scenario needs a harness. The Evenflo Maestro is only about $80, and that would buy 8 more pounds of harness time. The Graco Nautilus can be found for about $150. Those (plus I guess the Frontier 85, but I figure someone looking to put a 2 year old in a booster isn't interested in spending so much money on a car seat in general) are the seats that I would recommend in this type of situation.

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
If he's wanting to put the child in a booster now, he's probably not going to hold out much longer even if you do convince him to harness for a bit longer. I'd shoot for the Maestro. If the child is almost 3, hopefully, that will get them to at least age 4 and we know she's already past the 40lb so that's kind of the bare minimum. If he will spend more, I agree with the Nautilus but if he's not wanting to spend much, the Maestro is not much more than the booster.

swtgi1982

we have a maestro and I was hoping to get him to try it in his car when he is here tomorrow, so that was kind of hoping to get him to go for, but was just curious since he is so set on putting her in a booster

I dunno but he just told my DH he spent 400 on tires, that did not need replacing, but he did it anyways

if he can throw money around like that I do not see why can not afford a seat for his DD to be safe.

Last edited:

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I agree, but it's not up to you. It would be irresponsible, IMO, to recommend any BPB for a 2yo -- and that's exactly what I would say if he asked.

Andie

I agree that a booster is not the best choice for a just-turned 3 year old. What if she refuses to give a recommendation and he just goes and gets a no back for the child because they are over the weight minimum? Couldn't it also be irresponsible to not recommend a HBB that will fit the child properly for the most part? I know that they won't sit still most likely, I would think with the high back the child would be semi-contained & have SIP. At least there is a chance that the child will be in it until it is outgrown. :twocents:

I do agree that you should talk to him about the Maestro first, but if he won't listen than I would at least recommend something that fits small children well like the Turbo. Just make sure he puts the screws in.

babyherder

I would tell your friend that his DD is not safe in a booster. However, if he insists that a highback that fits her well is the best booster (not the best seat) in this situation. I would say TB or vivo depending on the fit.

Maedze

I agree, but it's not up to you. It would be irresponsible, IMO, to recommend any BPB for a 2yo -- and that's exactly what I would say if he asked.

Correct. You should NOT be recommending a booster to this parent. If your opinion is asked for, or there's an organic opportunity for you to open your mouth, the only recommendation you should make is a an appropriately fitted harnessed seat.

Maedze

I would tell your friend that his DD is not safe in a booster. However, if he insists that a highback that fits her well is the best booster (not the best seat) in this situation. I would say TB or vivo depending on the fit.

Both of those recommendations would be illegal and inappropriate. The OP should not recommend a booster to the parent.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Both of those recommendations would be illegal and inappropriate. The OP should not recommend a booster to the parent.

Whikle i 100% agree with your sentiment, I think we have to be careful, because technically, it isn't *illegal* in the op's state to put the child in certain boosters. Inappropriate? yes. Dangerous? certainly.
But illegal....sadly, we can't say that. MI is a proper use state, and there are a few boosters on the market which do allow a child of that age and weight to use them.
For example, the cosco boosters, vantage, highback, ventura, summit, etc all allow booster use by a child weighing 40+ lbs who is over 1 year old, both of which criteria the child in question meets.

Who wants to call dorel, and verbally beat them?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'm more of a physical type.

Even if it's LEGAL, I would not, for liability reasons, recommend anything but a harnessed seat for a child that age.

Maedze

Whikle i 100% agree with your sentiment, I think we have to be careful, because technically, it isn't *illegal* in the op's state to put the child in certain boosters. Inappropriate? yes. Dangerous? certainly.
But illegal....sadly, we can't say that. MI is a proper use state, and there are a few boosters on the market which do allow a child of that age and weight to use them.
For example, the cosco boosters, vantage, highback, ventura, summit, etc all allow booster use by a child weighing 40+ lbs who is over 1 year old, both of which criteria the child in question meets.

Who wants to call dorel, and verbally beat them?

Most states have a proper use clause, and the Vivo and Turbobooster both have an age 3 minimum, so yes, those specific recommendations as I said would be illegal.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Most states have a proper use clause, and the Vivo and Turbobooster both have an age 3 minimum, so yes, those specific recommendations as I said would be illegal.

Did you respond without reading my post? :confused:

I specifically said that YES, MI is a proper use state.
And I specifically said that CERTAIN boosters, such as the dorel ones, do in fact allow use by a child of the age and weight of the the child in question.

Listen, I hate the idea too. I think it's a clear example of Darwinism in action. I was just saying that it is not technically illegal for a 42 lb 2.8 year old to ride in *certain* boosters in the state of Michigan. It's not. You can hate that it's not, but that doesn't change the facts. And every time we make incorrect, false statements to parents, it diminishes our credability as a profession.
So..tell them the facts. Give them information. Explain vehemently that a BPB is not in any way shape or form, a "recommended" restraint system for a 2 year old. Hell, tell 'em thateven though it's legal, you so strongly disapprove of their decision, ,you can not in good conscience help them put a child in such danger. But once you LIE to them, and tell them it is "illegal", then you've crossed a line yourself.

I don't see how this is any differnt than the family who is adamant about turning the 21 lb 12 month old FFing. You educate. You give the facts. You STRONGLY urge them to make the right decision...but in the end, if they make the poor decision, you put the seat in FFing. If it is not *illegal*, it's the parents choice. No matter how :mad: it is.

KQ - again, I don't get what you are saying about "liability". IF the family chooses a LEGAL, appropriately used - according to manufacturers directions - seat for their child, regardless of how not optimal it might be, I can't see where liability would come into play. You'd be following state law, and manufacturers instructions, and documenting that you advised the family that the choice was absolutely not recommended. Again, I cite the case of the FFing 12 month old. I dont see how this is any different.

I will agree that some boosters would not be legal, such as the turbo or vivo. Sadly, the ones most likely to fit well, and reduce the huge risk, are ones that would be illegal.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC