Living Overseas & I need a new convertible!

Neatfreak

DD2 is currently RFing in a MA. It expires on November 24 2010, so I am going to buy her a new convertible seat when we're in Canada this summer. I was planning on getting a Radian - it makes sense for us in many ways, but I'm having doubts now. DD2 is eighteen months old right now, and about 24 lbs. She easily could be RFing past the expiry of the MA. However, the MA *just* fits RFing in our current vehicle (it's also installed as upright as I can get it), so a Radian would not work RFing. The factor that makes this purchase complicated is that we live overseas* and do not have the option of returning the carseat and choosing another if it isn't a good match for our vehicle.

What I would like to know is if anyone has any good seat suggestions for my situation. I'll need a convertible seat that installs well enough with the vehicle belts and a locking clip (both RFing and eventually FF). There is no LATCH or tether anchors in our current Toyota SUV (we don't own it (company car), so we cannot alter it, either). Any seat we use can't take up any more room RFing than a MA would, but I'm not eager to spend the $$$ on another Britax seat that will have a lower RFing weight limit than the one that I already have!

Thanks so much!

* there are no existing laws requiring carseats where I live, so I can use whatever I want - no regs to comply with

ADS

Pixels

True Fit? No locking clip necessary, fairly compact front to back RFing, will last a while FFing. I see you have two kids, do you need the seat to be narrow for a third back seat rider? Narrow the TF is not.

Neatfreak

No, not really. The MA is currently installed outboard b/c the install with the lap/shoulder belt was much better than with the center lapbelt (I blame that on my vehicle, not the MA - the MA has installed beautifully in nearly as dozen cars that I've used it in!). My bigger kid's GN is in the third row.

mommycat

I was going to suggest the TF as well, or a Complete Air, though that nees the locking clip. But it is narrower. Both install fairly upright. Do you fly with your seats on board? How tall is she?

I see you say there are no tether anchors. Do you need to keep other seating positions open? I would probably put both the kids in the 2nd row and tether the GN to a 3rd row seatbelt.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
It would help to know what you drive--I'm thinking Fortuner?

I personally wouldn't chance the Radian--it would suck to buy the seat, and get it there only to find that it's incompatible. I think you're better off spending money on lotto tickets--your results will be more pleasing.. :) At least you can be likely that the TrueFit will install in there and you'll have a little more angle play. Maybe a MyRide or a CA? Or play it safe and get a new Britax?

-Nicole.

InternationalMama

Since you live overseas and are not limited by Canadian legal requirements, have you considered have a Swedish rear facing seat shipped to you? A poster on this board runs a business that will ship Swedish seats pretty much anywhere in the world (carseat.se).

Some advantages to this would be longer rear facing time, which in addition to being safer also means not having to worry about not having tether anchors. Also, many of the seats he sells that are popular overseas don't require locking clips (either due to lock offs or other ways of locking the belt). And if you drive a European car it may be on the car fitting list for the seat you're considering so there's less of a gamble as to whether a particular seat will fit. Plus you won't have to worry about traveling with the seat on the plane, which could be a pain, with the True Fit or My Ride especially, because they are *wide*.

Also, the Swedish seats only require a 10 degree recline instead of the 35 degree recline of the TrueFit (for example), which means they often take up a lot less space in the car. Also, they can have a shorter shell (less space in the car) while still allowing extended rear facing because they can be used until the ears are even with the top of the shell. We have a Graco Duologic seat from carseat.se and it is a 40 lbs rear facing seat and I didn't have to even move the seat in front of it forward to do the installation. :thumbsup:

Really the only downside of getting a Swedish seat is the cost. They are expensive, especially with certain currency conversions. But if you have the finances for them and there are no legal reasons not to I much prefer our Swedish seats for ease of installation and use as well as the benefits of extended rear facing so I just wanted to throw that option out there since it's available to you.

amyd

I would also look at a Swedish seat for all the reasons mentioned above. If you did want to get another MA, though, you could always see if you could get an American one for the 35lbs RFing (and the smaller price tag).

Adventuredad

The Swedish car seats need relatively little room, even the largest ones need far less than a Radian. Which Toyota SUV are you driving and also how tall is your child? If you provide a little more info I can show you photos of how different seats fit in different cars.

The largest Swedish 55 lbs rf seats, Britax Multi Tech and Britax Two-Way, fit fine in a regular VW Golf and can normally keep kids RF to 5-6 years, a height of about 125 cm (50 inches). More compact seats such as 55 bs ritax Hi-Way keep kids RF to around 4-4.5 years and need less room.

The Swedish seats are more expensive than other choices but can also be used Rf far longer and fit virtually any car without any extra equipment

Neatfreak

Nicole, you are correct - we have a Fortuner at the moment. I am looking into swapping it for the more mini-van-like Innova, because some models have captains chairs in the second row. We'd gain a lot of accessibility and I can put the RFing seat in the third row and the GN in the second row, where I can tether it to the third row seat belt assembly (thanks, Cat - I know about that one!).

Cat, we have a Scenera for air travel, and I'm also considering getting a CARES harness while home this summer. We usually do need to keep one of the outboard positions in the middle row open, and DD1 rarely rides in the vehicle. DD2 is just under 33" right now.

Of course, I wouldn't say no to a Multi-Tech! But swinging that financially would be really difficult. We've been assessed duty at 100% for baby gear in the past, and there's a strong possibility that we'll be assigned to the USA in 3 years time, so whatever I get for DD2 this summer will need to be replaced before the end of it's useable life. Unless I find someone giving away a swedish seat, it also isn't the most practical choice.

Does anyone know if a TrueFit takes up more room RFing than a MA?

mommycat

I think they are pretty similar, though I've never done a comparison install. I don't think I will have the time this weekend to try it out so hopefully someone else would know. How far from the border are you when you are in Canada? What seats do you use when you come to visit (and do they need to be Canadian if it's your "regular" seats)? I might look at getting a US version if you are possibly getting assigned to the US, that way you could just take your seats with you if it happens.

amyd

I find that the TF takes up a bit less room than the MA when installed for an older baby/toddler. If you know you will likely be in the US in a few years, I would absolutely try to get a US seat now.

Neatfreak

Thanks, Amy!

Cat, I'll be in Edmonton, so cross-border shopping is more than just a day-trip. DD2 will ride in her (um, American) Scenera when we're there (we're legally considered non-residents, so I'm not worried about being hassled over her carseat). Theoretically, she could use the Scenera full-time after the MA expires, but I loathe the harness adjustment.

I honestly would not mind an American TrueFit b/c the covers are more appealing (where are my priorities? LOL!), but in three years time, DD2 might be riding FFing in something (like the GN, which is the US-version) and I'll be shopping for a HBB for her sister. I can't just order a US seat and have it delivered to my parents' house in Canada, so there would be some logistics issues to work out. It's reasonable that I approach this from a "what can I get in Canada and take back on the plane?" angle, b/c that's the likely scenario.

mommycat

That does sound more doable, and besides, it sounds like you just don't know where you will be, etc so do what works now. :thumbsup: What is the DOM on your GN? Will the harness still be good long enough for DD2 to get any amount of use out of it? (since it's only 6yrs for the backrest/harness.)

Neatfreak

The GN's date of manufacture is sometime in April 2009 - it's the seat we managed to import when it was time to hand over the MA to the baby last year. It seemed to be a wiser purchase for our situation at the time than a Frontier (I'll admit that I measured the length of my seatbelts to see if there might be enough for the long belt path, though).

Neatfreak

Bumping this up to update and thank everyone again for sharing their knowledge! We've had a positive change of circumstances - we're moving elsewhere in Asia and we'll be getting a Kia Sedona/Carnival with second row captains chairs. And a Radian for DD2, after all. I am so darn excited for life with a minivan!

Mingie

CPST Instructor
Bumping this up to update and thank everyone again for sharing their knowledge! We've had a positive change of circumstances - we're moving elsewhere in Asia and we'll be getting a Kia Sedona/Carnival with second row captains chairs. And a Radian for DD2, after all. I am so darn excited for life with a minivan!

Yay for you! And if the Kia Sedona/Carnival is anything like the Sedona/Entourage(Hyundai) here the Radian will install beautifully.

Neatfreak

I did as much homework here as I could this week about the Sedona/Carnival/Entourage and Radians (and with DD1's Nauti), and it looks very positive!

And thanks for the good wishes, Melissa!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC