Got my GN!

ChckLiz

Just got Jonah's GN from Wal-mart tonight! This seat is so neat! It has a great DOM also, 3-1-10! So it's brand new! I can't wait to try him out in it *he was in bed*. I set the harness to the 2nd slot, he has a 14 in. torso and that looked right. I gotta say.. I thought the Como was big.. this seat is BIG! Yay! I'm excited! lol :love:

ADS

skitle1802

I just picked one up at our local Wally world. DOM of 03-02-10. I was amazed it looks as wide as the frontier did in the 3rd row in our burb. But DS2 likes it and it means DD1 and DS1 get shoulder/lap belts and headrests, so I'm happy!!!

ChckLiz

Here's a pic of him in it, does everything look right? I have the harness on the second slot and the crotch strap on the 2nd setting. I was wondering about that.. I remember seeing something on here about it.. if they're sitting on it it has to be moved, right?

14130_1321188992684_1319581480_30951920_4691567_n.jpg

Also, does this look right? I forgot where the waist part of the harness came from and I did have it next to the back of the seat.. but when I was fixing the crotch strap, noticed that they fit in the slots here. So is this right?

14130_1321189032685_1319581480_30951921_4631344_n.jpg

ChckLiz

Another question, is the belly pad really needed? Or is this just how this harness is? I took a pic of him in it in the car and noticed that it doesn't sit on his thighs like the como harness does... he has skinny legs though so that might be it.. Would taking off the belly pad fix this? *Oh and I moved the crotch strap in.. noticed in the car that he could scootch forward A LOT!, so that's fixed!*

14130_1321235713852_1319581480_30952043_5408883_n.jpg

firemomof3

I agree with chickabiddy, he really should be rear facing. The GN will fit him better when he is a little bigger/taller.

ChckLiz

Was really hoping someone would just answer my questions, that's what this is for! But whatever.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Cute, fits, but wait till the first time he falls asleep, his bobbing, flopping head will make you simply cry :( If DH really can't stand him RF anymore, put him in a seat that's more cradling and supportive with better side impact protection. Side impacts are the greatest danger to young forward facing babies, and when his head flops out of the side wings of the Nautilus, he'll be having no head protection at all.
Not sure if you've seen this, but it might help you make the safest choice for him.. http://carseatblog.com/?p=5168

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Was really hoping someone would just answer my questions, that's what this is for! But whatever.

The answer to your question (which I did also answer above) is that yes, the seat fits properly. Is it tethered? I can't tell. But it would be irresponsible to "okay" the use of that seat for that child, despite proper fit.

Spam

I don't think the belly pad is needed. If you like it better without take it off. I took my nephews off when I first got because I figured my sis would just lose it. I understand he's rfing in your car and ffing in your dh's car? I have the same thing, except in gma's because I decided to not put seats in dh's car. He does look small, but he's a lot bigger than a lot of babies are when they start riding ff.

xxluckychicxx

Cute little guy and he looks great in the seat, but I'm just going to chime in on the head slump issues, especially for a little bitty.

DS was 35lbs at 2.5, so into a GN he went. He's been riding in it for over a year, and just now at almost 4 is no longer slumping when he sleeps. It was bad.

You know why you should RF, so I'm not going to go into that, but I would like to say that you should look into a more supportive FFing seat if that's what you choose to go with. :twocents:

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
The hip straps would worry me being that high. the pic in the car moreso than the one in the house. It looks like it's going to put the force on his abdomen instead of on his hips. I think the crotch strap is too long, it allows them to ride up too much.

If you absolutely, positively cannot RF, I would try a seat with more FF recline. A CozyCline/SS2, a MR, maybe a TrueFit... My 5yo is just now staying upright, with practice, in his GNE, with the headwings tilted inwards. I know your DH is dead set against him RFing, but it just makes me want to cry seeing a little sit that way :(

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
oh that's..heartbreaking. What a tiny little guy. I agree, the fit does not look good at all. It of course pains me to "recommend" any forward facing seat for such a small baby, but the nautilus, while, I absolutely LOVE it for an appropriately aged child of 3-4+, really does not seem safe here, that crotch buckle looks like it would just dig right into his soft organs, and it's so upright.

emars002

I think the crotch buckle is just too long for him. I don't think the nauti fits little ones very well - my oldest has one and I tried my big then 2 1/2 yeat old in it and i didn't like the way she fit. Could you try out a my ride somewhere? i think that might fit him a little better and if you are going to keep him FF, I think it would cradle him much better

ChckLiz

This is the seat we're sticking with, we don't have the money to return and get another seat. He's riding in the como FF too. I snapped a pic of him in it (como) today and noticed that the buckle on it is just about as long as the GN. The one point I will def. agree on is the head slump.. he's nodded off a couple of times now and he looks like a bobble head :eek: but other than that, we love the seat as much as the como :)

28643_1323548211663_1319581480_30956617_7144135_n.jpg

30547_1328108325663_1319581480_30968778_8136170_n.jpg

monstah

This is the seat we're sticking with, we don't have the money to return and get another seat. He's riding in the como FF too.

From a different thread:
When did you turn(or are you planning to turn) DC FF?
At 2, in other cars I will let him going FF.. in my car which is the main car that he is in the most, he will RF until the limits of his seat - 35 lbs. My car doesn't have side air bags, doesn't have tether or latch, and all in all isn't a very good car period.. so I feel much better with him RF!

How young should a child be for you to buy a new seat to accommodate RF?
If it was only up to me, I'd buy a new seat if I needed to at 3.. after that then I would be comfortable with him FF. But since my DH thinks I'm crazy for still RF him as it is, then that's just not going to happen!

At what age do you take child's opinion into account?
3.. for the simple fact that I don't believe a child younger than 3 can honestly tell you what they want clearly. My son can't do that at all right now.. *lots of tatrums.. poor kid! lol* But I would not consider it until they hit 3.

:confused: I poked around at your old posts and you always seemed adamant about keeping him rear facing until atleast 3. He's still one, why the change of heart? Anything we can help with?

MissAllyLou

I too am wondering why you turned him FFing in the Como? I would say, if you MUST, HAVE TO, have NO other option, turn in FF in ONE car, put the Como FFing in Dh's car WITH the top tether, and get a Myride, Radian, Symphony, EFTA, ANYTHING for you car. A 1 year old, FFing without a top tether, is irresponsible, especially since you know better, and heartbreaking. :mad:

lil.miss32

You said that you couldn't afford a new seat? If you return the GN, you could get a MR for less, AND have money leftover, AND be able to RF him...

*Praying for your precious little boy*

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC