Talk to me about baby shoes

U

Unregistered1

So I am wanting to get AJ a pair of shoes (the robeez/pediped type) here soon as he will be crawling in no time, and then pulling up, and then we're all in trouble! But here's the thing, I know almost nothing about baby shoes. I know the soft soles are best for little ones. But what's the difference between robeez and pedipeds and whatever other soft soles are out there? And what's the difference between the different types of robeez? Which kind are best for little guys like him?

TIA!

ADS

cpsaddict

I am a baby shoe addict. Seriously, DD has like 15 pairs of shoes. The Robeez slipper type work well for crawlers, since they are very soft and flexible. The Robeez Mini Shoez have a stiffer sole and work good for outside for new walkers. The Robeez Tredz are a stiffer sole than the Shoez. My personal favorites are Pedipeds. They have a soft sole, but not as soft as Robeez. They are flexible and work well for crawlers and walkers alike. These work the best with my DD's tall feet. We will go to the Pediped Flex once she outgrows the regular Pedipeds. I also have some Smaller by See Kai Run, but they are not working well with DD's tall, chubby feet.

steph

I agree with Jacky.

I've never been a fan of robeez (not so much that they are bad, just never cared for their looks).

I :love: pedipeds and Ryan wore them until he outgrew them (this was before pediped flex) and then he switched to See Kai Run which I also love!!

So I'd probably do pedipeds then See Kai Runs (or the pediped flex).

CaseyRN

Another vote for pedipeds. It is all DD wore until last summer. For some reason I prefer just dainty white sandals in the summer so we go Stride Rite now. But other than that she wears pediped flex now.

I never liked the look of Robeez....so we never even tried them

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I'm gonna go against the grain and say none...

I don't like putting shoes on babies, until they're walking well, and need to walk outside. My understanding is that it can hinder the development of their feet.

I think S got his first pair of shoes at about 13 mos, and he still has trouble walking in them at 15mos. They're just not natural for babies, they need to be able to feel under their feet to learn how to balance (and therefore walk.)

It's just my personal preference, though... not a soapbox matter lol.

christineka

Okay, I have a pair of 6-12 month sized soft shoes from Target for my baby. The problem is that she has tiny feet and probably won't fit into these shoes until 18 months. Would it be dumb to keep them around for her to wear? Should I just sell them and get shoes with more support since she will be walking soon? What are good shoes for new walkers? (I like to have shoes for out of doors when baby is walking/pulling up, especially during a summer camping vacation.)

vonfirmath

I really really wanted the Robeez, but could not justify their cost to myself. So my son wore nothing until he was walking. And then he wore flexible shoes with real soles (since the point was to protect his foot outside)

Yoshi

I don't like putting shoes on babies, until they're walking well, and need to walk outside. My understanding is that it can hinder the development of their feet.

I agree completely! Barefoot is best unless outside on pavement, rocks, etc.

msg221

My kids never fit right in See Kai Run or Pedipeds. I adore those shoes and have tried so many pairs. :(

Aden has 20 pairs of shoes, all are Shoeszoo off Ebay (just like Robeez but cheaper) and Robeez boots. I love them.

http://stores.ebay.com/shoeszoo

Those are so cute! Target has some that look like these, just different colors. I got some for my godson with the dinosaurs on them, but his are green and blue. I got them soon after they were walking because I wanted to make sure they didn't slip and fall on our tile floors. I think my goddaughter still fits in hers but her brother has outgrown his. I loved them! Of course it's going to be getting too hot here to wear these. They'll be living in sandals until October here in Phoenix!

o_mom

Given your situation, I would get the Robeez knock-offs at Target for $12 and call it good. You just want something to give a bit of protection but be as close to barefoot as possible. Thin, flexible soles that you can crumple into a ball are the best for new walkers and only when needed - barefoot the rest of the time.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
We have Robeez and ShoesZoo, amongst a host of other soft soled shoes. Robeez fit the best up until now...at 8mo, she's just now fitting into the 0-6mo ShoesZoo shoes and the 0-6mo Robeez are getting small. I refused to pay retail. So Robeez I got at JBF or eBay. ShoesZoo, I did buy new because their price is great. And they aren't like shoes, so much as they are like leather socks. I love them!

Calideedle

I think S got his first pair of shoes at about 13 mos, and he still has trouble walking in them at 15mos. They're just not natural for babies, they need to be able to feel under their feet to learn how to balance (and therefore walk.)

Which is why I like soft soled shoes that have only a thin piece of leather between the foot and the ground. My kids only used them when we were out and walking. In our yard and home we never use shoes. They also never had any problems walking in them because they are so thin and never used anything while crawling. I can fold them up and put them in my pocket, they are like socks.

Calideedle

Those are so cute! Target has some that look like these, just different colors. I got some for my godson with the dinosaurs on them, but his are green and blue. I got them soon after they were walking because I wanted to make sure they didn't slip and fall on our tile floors. I think my goddaughter still fits in hers but her brother has outgrown his. I loved them! Of course it's going to be getting too hot here to wear these. They'll be living in sandals until October here in Phoenix!

If you look through they have super cute sandals. Very airy!

canadiangie

The thing with soft soled shoes like Robeez and Pedipeds is they *can* feel the ground under their feet. It comes down to a happy medium... proper development and keeping little feet warm and protected. Anyone who spends the boatloads of money on higher end shoes such as those listed above is generally doing so because they are very aware of the concerns surrounding hard soled shoes. I actually think most Stride Rite shoes are too stiff... if I can't bend them in half, backwards, then they don't get purchased. Clearly OP knows not to buy crappy shoes for this LO, but evidentally she also *needs* to buy the LO something. Im not sure the suggestion to buy nothing is very helpful.

aeormsby

My kids just had Robeez until they were actually walking enough to be walking outside in the dirt. Then we moved on to the other type of soft soled shoes (we've had Pedoodles & See Kai Run). My kids were both learning to walk in the winter so they needed something on their feet in our cold house (and the Robeez helped the socks stay on too). They were pretty much barefoot in the summer until they were walking.

Shoes are something I don't mind spending money on (not to say I don't look for sales :p). But they only had 1 pair of Robeez at a time and only 2-3 pairs of shoes after that.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
But they only had 1 pair of Robeez at a time and only 2-3 pairs of shoes after that.

So the 3 pair of Robeez, 2 pair of ShoesZoo, 1 pair from Payless, 1 pair from Old Navy and the 2 pair of sandals are a bit excessive for an 8mo old? :D:cool::p LOL

cpsaddict

The Pedipeds slogan is "the next best thing to bare feet". Our house is cold, so DD usually always wears shoes. Without shoes, the socks come right off. When we go out and about, she wears shoes to keep her feet warm. I will not let her walk outside with no shoes, as we live on a farm and there is any number of things she can step on. Bare feet probably are best for development, but that is not always practical.

BananaBoat

I remember asking about this about 9 months ago! Can't find the thread, but I was quickly convinced of barefoot is best, follwed by flexible sole until age 2. Once I found MiniStar by Bobux for Target, I never went back to Robeez. They are just as good & cute & cheap. More selection online than in-store. The boots are awesome & I bought every size!

Anyhow, I also love Pedipeds, but only really on sale. Now that DD is nearly 2, I've been hitting sales for larger sizes of Pedipeds, Umi, See Kai Run & Naturino. Amazon does good sales fairly regularly.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC