Latchable Boosters

DabOfLoven

So, my DD starts Kindergarten this fall. And it looks like I might be picking up one of my neighbors sons after school along with DD. DD is currently in a Nautilus harnessed. And my DS is in a Marathon FFing. I can not fit another seat back there with those 2 seats. I was thinking of getting some sort of narrow booster to use for my DD who is 5 and 42lbs. She is really good at listening and knows how important carseat saftey is, so I think she's perfect for booster training. The school is literally 3 miles away. What 2 boosters (DD and friend) would work well in a 06 Corolla with a FF Marathon? I would prefer a latchable booster. Any suggestions?

ADS

Maedze

The narrowest boosters currently available are the Graco Turbobooster and the Britax Parkway SG. Neither of them is LATCHable (honestly, LATCH and narrow aren't going to come in the same package).

I don't know how they'll fit with a forward facing MA, though. Any chance your DS is small enough to be rear facing in the MA?

Evolily

The Ride Safer Travel Vest may be an option if you can fit a child between the two seats. It might actually be easier than reinstalling the nautilus every day or so and moving boosters back and forth.

DabOfLoven

I don't know how they'll fit with a forward facing MA, though. Any chance your DS is small enough to be rear facing in the MA?

He'll be 3 in July, but is already 38lbs. And just in the waiting on moving him to to top harness slots on the marathon. He's alllllllmost past the ones he's on now, it varies even with each install lol.

The Ride Safer Travel Vest may be an option if you can fit a child between the two seats. It might actually be easier than reinstalling the nautilus every day or so and moving boosters back and forth.

I've thought about that, and while I can squish myself in between the seats in an emergency, or when a certain BIL comes to stay for 3 weeks, I don't think there would be enough room for a child to safely to ride back there in one. I can't even lean all the way back when I'm back there, or buckle up.

It doesn't bother be moving seats around. We hardly even go anywhere other than stores and such. So she could mainly be in a booster. And for long trips I could install the Nauti. I dunno, I just wish my car would expand!! lol It's almost paid for, so I really can't see getting a new one. I'll figure something out that will work safely for all the babies. Might have to take a trip down to USA baby and just play around with some seats and see what works.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
LATCHable boosters are wider and sit closer to the center of the vehicle, decreasing room for a third seat. I would look at unLATCHed boosters or narrow harnessed seats for a tight three-across.

DabOfLoven

LATCHable boosters are wider and sit closer to the center of the vehicle, decreasing room for a third seat. I would look at unLATCHed boosters or narrow harnessed seats for a tight three-across.

That's what I figured, but never had my hands on one so I wasn't sure. From the pics I've seen they did look mighty wide. I'm just nervous about the Turbo Booster. I'm sure it's safe, and I know my daughter is older, but a friend of mins niece was in one 3 days after her 3rd birthday and was in a wreck. She's paralyzed from the neck down. She was sleeping and at that age, I'm sure wasn't sitting it in correctly. But still, just makes me nervous. This is just so frustrating.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I would not blame the Turbobooster for your friend's niece's injuries. She was too young, and very possibly too small, to be in a booster. Misused seats do not always adequately protect children.

You might be able to do a FFing Maestro with two Turboboosters, or two Maestros and one Turbo.

DabOfLoven

I would not blame the Turbobooster for your friend's niece's injuries. She was too young, and very possibly too small, to be in a booster. Misused seats do not always adequately protect children./QUOTE]

Oh I know, I don't "blame" it, but it does leave a bad feeling about it either way, I'm sure there was misuse and that she shouldn't have been in it, and she might have faired better in a 5 point. There is still that bitter taste about it though. I'm not ruling it out, but would like to check other options as well.

DabOfLoven

Okay, substitute Vivo for Turbo in my post above.

Ah, I do like the look of the Vivo more. It looks a bit more sturdy and more protected than the Turbo. Now I know I'll have to make a trip down to USA baby. I'm pretty sure they will be the only ones to carry it. I might could swing a Radian for DS to make more room for the boosters. Will have to see though.

Maedze

Or, a more expensive option :p

Since your little guy is not even yet three, what about buying a Radian and using it rear facing in the center position? That would give you considerable more leeway for width in the outboard seats.

I do want to assure you that the Turbobooster is a very safe seat when used correctly. My two big ones use them in their daddy's car, and I would never use a seat I had a misgiving about.

The child who suffered that terrible injury was too young for a booster, there is a strong chance as you said that she wasn't sitting correctly, and I wouldn't be surprised if the seat were incorrectly assembled (high level of misuse with parents forgetting to properly secure the armrests with provided screws.)

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Yes, if you get a Radian, definitely use it RFing.

(My big girl is in a Turbo sometimes too, and I feel fine about it.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC