using facebook to spread awareness

njmommy

I have a FB friend who has pictures of her 2 1/2 year old in a booster seat w/ regular seat belt :( I dont know her well enough to say something but I wanted to do something, incase she didnt know how unsafe it was.

So I came across this video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2LFo8vVi04"]belle's gift[/ame]

& posted it on my profile asking parents of young kids to check it out.

She messaged me a few hrs. later saying that she had no idea how unsafe it was & thought a booster was the next thing because her son meets the weight requirements. she asked me for seat recs! YAY!

ADS

MomToEliEm

That is great that she watched the video and is wanting to change her son back to a harnessed seat. I have posted that video as well as others and have received no feedback at all on them.

njmommy

Yea besides her, no one else has said anything. But a few people shared it on their own pages, so I think thats great.

This girl is on FB a lot during the day from work, so I was really hoping she would see it. Her son is a little peanut too, he just looks so unsafe in those pictures.

Jazlynn's Mommy

I'm happy someone posted this! It's not JUST extended rear facing that saves lives, but extended harnessing as well! Good job :thumbsup:

Maedze

I'm happy someone posted this! It's not JUST extended rear facing that saves lives, but extended harnessing as well! Good job :thumbsup:

It's not 'extended harnessing' when the child is only two years old :)

Extended harnessing is anything beyond 4 years AND 40 pounds, and honestly, there's no evidence showing that if a child is 4, and 40, and has the correct maturity to use a booster well, that harnessing is any safer than boostering.

A harness for this child is not 'extended' anything, it's a bare minimum. The OP did well to bring the information to the mother's attention without being hurtful or pushy :thumbsup:

Jazlynn's Mommy

It's not 'extended harnessing' when the child is only two years old :)

Extended harnessing is anything beyond 4 years AND 40 pounds, and honestly, there's no evidence showing that if a child is 4, and 40, and has the correct maturity to use a booster well, that harnessing is any safer than boostering.

A harness for this child is not 'extended' anything, it's a bare minimum. The OP did well to bring the information to the mother's attention without being hurtful or pushy :thumbsup:

I'm aware, and that video states a child should not be in a booster under 5 years old. So it is suggesting extended harnessing. I was not saying the child in the video had anything to do with it. Just simply saying this video is good for teaching parents about extended harnessing as well.

ProudMommysince09

That is a great idea! And exactly what I needed.:D I saw a distant friends new uploaded pics earlier, and she had her 13 month old in a Nautilus. That child was an IUGR baby and is still tiny, the chestclip and the buckle are not even an inch apart.:(
So thanks and Im stealing your idea :whistle: since I was wondering what I could do about this without approaching her, because its not in my place I dont know her well enough.
But I think it might not help much, shes moving about a 1000 miles tomorrow and doesnt have much money..

jjordan

I think people often mean different things by "extended harnessing." For example, for someone it might mean "harnessing past the point where the child meets the minimum requirements for xx booster," and maybe another person means, "harnessing beyond what the law requires." With either of those definitions, harnessing a 2 year old may be considered "extended harnessing."

I posted a video about ERF on facebook once and one of my friends has since brought up that she should turn her son back around. They've been out of the country since January though so I'll be curious if she mentions it when they come back.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC