Fading on Malibu (PICS added)

mommy2jasmine

I posted this in another group, but I wanted to get some second opinions.

I bought our XT back in September or October. I don't remember exactly. One of the two though. So, after 2 weeks Jasmine had dropped something, like raisin or something sticky in the seat. When I went to pull it off, a chunk of fuzz came off! So, I called them to let them know that this happened, and they sent me out a new cover. Well, I don't have that cover anymore, because I didn't find it necessary to have an extra cover when the one we had was just fine.

Well, just recently I have realized that there is some SERIOUS fading going on, on the cover I have. One response to my other post was that I should be putting something over it, so that it protects it. If this is the case, I will not call them. But, considering it's only 6 or so months old, I think it's a little crazy that it's fading already.

So, is it my fault that I didn't protect it? Should I suck it up, because I already got a free cover from them, and decided to get rid of it? Or, am I ok in thinking that I should call them at least and try. And if I do call, and do get a new cover, would they be able to send me a different pattern? I was thinking a meshy one wouldn't fade like the fuzzy ones do.

Thanks

Last edited:
ADS

mommy2jasmine

Re: Fading on Malibu

Pics

Here is of the padding that's not faded, sitting on the seat that is.
IMG_6055.jpg

The wing by itself
IMG_6049.jpg

The wing compared to the padding
IMG_6050.jpg

jessclear

My Malibu is faded as well. It is dirty so I'm going to take it out of the car soon to wash it. If it's really bed, I am going to call SK, but I'm not sure what they will do. I am disappointed in it though, considering, none of my Britax covers faded like this, with the same use, same climate, same sun exposure, etc.

I'll keep posted on this thread to see what the responses are. I'm in the same boat, but I'm not sure I can get another cover. My daughter only continues to RF because it's either RF in the pink seat or FF in the old blue one and she always picks the pink (I win! :p)

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Should I suck it up, because I already got a free cover from them, and decided to get rid of it?

:yeahthat:

I don't mean to sound nasty or crabby or anything, but... you had cover A, it was flawed, so they sent you cover B. You opted to neither use nor save cover B, but rather sell it (I presume) and continue to use the cover they had replaced.

If it's really that bad, then I would use the $ you got from selling cover B and use it to fund cover C. Had you switched the covers out, what's to say Cover B would have faded the same (though it probably would have,) kwim?

I don't want to sound witchy, at all, it just seems like a lot to expect another replacement for something that's already been replaced.

steph_s

You called them and got a replacement because the first cover was defective. You choose not to keep that cover which confuses me since it was such a big issue that you called them to get a new cover. Why did you call and get a new cover then? :confused: Now if you kept the new cover and got rid of the old one that would be a different story, but I can't see calling up yet again to get a new cover when they already sent you one and you didn't use it. If they sent you the new one yet again would you keep that one? This is the sort of thing that makes prices higher for everyone since the company has to re-coup the money somehow to make a profit.

Now if you want to call them and fess up that you sold the last replacement cover and that this was the original already damaged one that is now fading and they give you another one then ok fine, but getting a new cover yet again is dis-honest!

BTW: I have 2 malibu covers and both haven't faded yet. Granted one is in the center of the van and doesn't see much light, but the one in my mom's car is fully exposed and hasn't faded yet. Wondering if your cover was defective the entire way around since it peeled and now is fading.

xxluckychicxx

I had a Malibu and mine faded the exact same way, I called and they sent a new one.

As for the ethical thing to do? I think that since they already sent you a new one and you chose to keep the flawed one that you shouldnt ask for another one :twocents:

mommy2jasmine

Thanks everyone. That's why I was asking. I would feel guilty to call again. The first time I called, it wasn't to get a new cover though. I only wanted to tell them that in just a weeks time the seat had flawed. It had already got a rough spot in the back, on top, too, if I remember right. I didn't need a new cover, because the one I had was just fine. Which is why, when they sent me out the new one, I sold it.

I'm not trying to sound like a dishonest person, or unethical. I really just wanted an opinion. If I was that sly I would have just called them already, and not asked for advice. I was feeling guilty, and wanted to make sure I wasn't going to do the wrong thing if I called. I still will probably call, let them know that there is serious fading, but also let them know that I don't expect a replacement since I had one from a previous issue I had with the cover. This was my original plan. I guess that's how I meant to come across in my original post. Any info I gave to you guys in my original post would have gone to them as well. I'm not asking anyone to convince me to deceive anyone. And I do understand that it's my fault I no longer have a second cover, so I'm probably SOL, unless I purchase one from swap.

In all honesty, I am annoyed with the fading, and quality of this cover. Maybe my annoyance came across as the wrong thing, and I apologize if I came off that way.

mommy2jasmine

I just wanted to reply to this one in particular, because I feel like there may be a misunderstand that I want to clear up. The fuzz that pealed off wasn't a big issue. But, it was a defect that I wanted to make sure they were aware of. I don't believe that a seat should start wearing out that fast. We aren't messy people, either. So I was surprised that this happened. I wanted to make sure they were aware of this. They insisted on the replacement cover. Maybe I should have said "No, thank you"? I didn't want to sell the old one, because it was defective and used. I would have felt greedy to do that. I kept the "bad" one, and got rid of the good one.

If I called them up (and told them the whole story, which I never meant to sound like I wouldn't tell them) and they sent me a new cover, I would use it, yes. I would probably trash the current cover, unless someone wanted a worn out second cover. I have no use for 2 covers. I have a spare seat I use for when I bring this one in to wash it.

Like I said, I'm not trying to be dis-honest. This is why I wanted to ask, and get second opinions even. I have noticed this fading for awhile now. It probably became apparent about 1-2 months ago, but I haven't felt like I should call, because I would feel bad for complaining twice. :(

I'm kind of wondering if I got a bad cover too, because there are a lot of snags on it too, and the velcro seems to be off centered under the flap for the harness tightener.

You called them and got a replacement because the first cover was defective. You choose not to keep that cover which confuses me since it was such a big issue that you called them to get a new cover. Why did you call and get a new cover then? :confused: Now if you kept the new cover and got rid of the old one that would be a different story, but I can't see calling up yet again to get a new cover when they already sent you one and you didn't use it. If they sent you the new one yet again would you keep that one? This is the sort of thing that makes prices higher for everyone since the company has to re-coup the money somehow to make a profit.

Now if you want to call them and fess up that you sold the last replacement cover and that this was the original already damaged one that is now fading and they give you another one then ok fine, but getting a new cover yet again is dis-honest!

BTW: I have 2 malibu covers and both haven't faded yet. Granted one is in the center of the van and doesn't see much light, but the one in my mom's car is fully exposed and hasn't faded yet. Wondering if your cover was defective the entire way around since it peeled and now is fading.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I bought mine from someone here on the board and it's very faded as well. I've never had a seat that has looked like this one just from normal use.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC