Are play yards worth it?

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
We had a Jeep one with mosquito netting which I loved. At home it was in the basement family room for the first few months, and I loved not having to run upstairs to change a diaper. (I hated changing diapers on furniture if I could help it.) We moved it upstairs to the living room eventually and used it for playing so mommy could get things done. Once they're mobile, the blanket thing only lasts a few minutes before they come 'find' you. LOL We used it outside on nice days with the sunshade/netting. We used it at grandma's (out of state) and for taking to the beach and for camping.

And I have to agree...we used our PNP way more than we did the crib set. :twocents:

ADS

2BunniesMommy

I didn't think we needed one with DD1. Then I saw one for a great price and picked it up anyway. We used it with her for every out of town trip from age 8 mo until 2 years and 8 mo. We used it at home for just a couple months to play in during showers or running out to the garage to do laundry.
With DD2 we used it from the start with the bassinet insert so she had a safe place off the floor in the living room. Once she was too big for that we still kept it out here and were using it regulary once she became mobile. We use it 100% of the time to block her access to a corner with cords that we don't want her messing with. We put her in it less than once a week, but it does come in handy those times. Usually if we are doing something where we are going in and out a lot and don't want her to take off out the door. We have only gone on a couple overnight trips with her, but of course it came in handy each time. The one your mom likes looks really neat!

cpsaddict

I used my sisters fancy Eddie Bauer that we bought for her baby. It had the bassinet and changing table thing, but we only used the bassinet part. It was wonderful and I wish we had done it right from the start. We borrowed it when DD was 6wks old. I got so much more sleep after that. We originally had the the co-sleeper that fits in our bed and what a joke. None of us got any sleep. I will for sure get one of my own next time. Oh, my sister used the changing station since the nursery was upstairs and it was nice to have a place to change him downstairs.

vonfirmath

YES.

We used our play yard for the first 6 weeks for our son to sleep in while until guests stopped coming and we could put up the crib.

Then we used it as a makeshift "gate" at times to keep him confined in the living room and/or away from the kitchen/stairs when necessary

(in the earliest of times, a blanket is plenty. As soon as they start moving around, there will be times you need to confine them for their safety. If you confine them in the play yard, they can still be out front and near you.)

We used it at times to teach him to focus on just a couple of toys instead of having the whole room to keep track of.

We also used it for travelling purposes, for him to sleep in. And we hold onto it now for when younger folks come to visit/hopeful future babies.

Mom2FiveGirls

The only time we ever used one was the couple of times we went camping (and then it was just used for naps since we cosleep and they just slept with us) and when we stayed at a hotel (because the hotel cribs or whatever they provide creep me out...hotel beds/sheets in general do, but I'm weird). My mom and grandma both have one at their houses that the girls used when they were younger and we'd go visit.

The only time I used one at home was when DD#2 was younger and had a feeding tube. She was hooked up to a feeding pump at night and it would occasionally start beeping, etc. Plus I just wasn't comfortable with her being in her crib in her room, so I put her in the room with me in the pack & play. Other than that, I never used it at home. We had a very basic one and I'm glad we didn't get a fancier one because I know it wouldn't have been worth it. I think the basic one we had was worth it even just for the little bit we used it though.

Anne

Until recently, I'd say the pack n play saw more use than the crib. We used it at my mom's house for naps. I would also set it up wherever I was going to be for a while and lay her in it to do whatever I needed. I used it often instead of the bouncer or swing, I'd just put one of those toy arch things over her. It now gets used for naps for the little boy I watch. She has slept right in bed with us since the day we brought her home. Her naps used to be in the bed, but I've recently moved her to the crib for naptime, so the crib is finally seeing some use.

Yoshi

Didn't read any relies, but we used a pack n play for traveling to relatives and in hotels A LOT. She still fit at 15 months and we used it a ton, so for us it was worth it. Then we sold it and got some money out of it as well.:twocents:

msg221

For me, the PNP were an absolute necessity. They were for my god twins when they stayed overnight with me (which from the time they were 7 weeks old until about last August, was nearly every weekend. Now it's about two weekends a month). I had to have somewhere for them to sleep. I bought them both off CL, but made sure they were in immaculate condition and no recalls. Both of the ones I got looked barely used and came with the changing table, bassinett, sound/vibration unit and I bought them for about $60 each. They worked out great for us since they were so easy to set up and take down and move from room to room as needed. The babies slept in them until they were about 6 months old and then I just bought two cribs after that. I now have a nursery, not to mention swings, Exersaucers, toys, strollers, diapers, and baby clothes in my house and no kids of my own! Any stranger could literally drop their baby at my house and I'd be set!

April

If it were a choice between a play yard and a crib set, I'd take the play yard. The crib set is pretty useless, IMO. We've had a few play yards and have only ever used the main part and the bassinet part, never the silly mobile or the change table part. :twocents:

Starlight

Senior Community Member
We have 2, a mini w/ a bassinet and a full size, and though they don't get frequently used, they are invaluable. We use them for traveling, for visiting families, for camping, etc. We travel more than the average family with umpteen small kids (last year, we were gone from home for 2 2 week trips, 1 1 week trip and countless 3 and 4 days weekends) so we actually have a small attic section devoted just to traveling - 2 portable booster seats, single and double maclaren strollers, the 2 pack n plays, portable swing, suitcases, etc...

Jennifer mom to my 7

I have an old school pack n play from like, the 90's that works fine as a playpen. It's been through 5 kids (daycare) and numerous foster puppies (I'd keep them in that when they'd been spayed to keep them from jumping around) but it still is sturdy and does it's job. It's pink though. :p

I know I can get a new play yard for cheap...but it was the co-sleeper thing that's the perk of this one. I'd *use* a bassinet/changer/whatever thingie for the living room and other people's houses, but I didn't consider it a necessity so I wasn't going to get one.

But this kid needs a place to sleep anyway, and if I'd use the rest of it maybe it will be useful...? It's too new to find on CL right now.

He has a crib Shaun bought. It's an Ikea one we did get off CL. So my parents were gonna get us the crib set as a gift.

Heehee, is it a fisher price? with all the bars that have to go in the square, etc? My mom has that one! Ds loved it.

A pack n play can be very usefull. I finally got a smaller one (have a tot block graco that I love!) but wanted a bassinet feature. After the 4th time I asked dh to bring down the bassinet from the upstairs bedroom, he got me one. We paid like 99 dollars for one with a bassinet option, and the separate changing station (it isn't attached like on my brothers). It was used for the last 3 babies to sleep in downstairs. Upstairs, they slept in the bassinet, and then the crib and we do also cosleep. The pack n play would have worked with my bed as a cosleeper of sorts, since my bed is so high.

katiesmommy

I'd also go with the play yard. We have gotten so much use out of our pnp. We also got the cheapest most simple pnp on the market at the time. Set it up in a corner in the living room intending for it to be her downstairs bed for the time being. We couldn't afford a crib and I figured she wouldn't need one right away anyway. So I ended up using it as a changing station (you don't need the changing station to use it as such), and downstairs bed whenever we were in the living room. Then it went into her room and served as her bed until she was 9 months. Then we got a crib and it went back into the living room and ended up being a toybox at some point. We still use it for toys now. When DH was out on the ship I dumped the toys out and brought it into my room and DD slept in it in my room till she was almost 4.

super_grape

we have, so far, worn out 3 playards:eek:. they're pretty indespensible for our family! we use them for a downstairs place to nap or for a safe place when she needed to be away from the bigger kid(s). we also travel A LOT and have used them in many a hotel (the hotel playards/cribs are usually kinda grimey) or a relative's house. my oldest and middle girl also used a playard as a bed during one of our many moves.
we never used all the do-hickeys that came with whatever playard we bought tho. the last one had a bassinette attatchment but it made her roll into a little ball in the center like a hedgehog so we were afraid to use it:thumbsdown:.

Ok, I skimmed through & didn't read all posts.

First: I'm not sure I'm getting what's so exciting about the "co-sleeper" option. Will the PnP actually be at the same height of your bed? Our PnP was higher then our bed so even though I had it right next to the bed I still had to get up to get them. If it actually would be at the same level then I say go for.

Second: If it's not at the same level or if you really just don't want to spend money on one I have 2 PnPs & you could pick the one you want. 1 is a Fisher Price Aquarium PnP but it is missing the toy that came w/ it (none of my kids even had interest in it though, likely why we lost it) & we lost the carry bag. The other one I dunno what it is but it is in perfect condition. My inlaws used it & gave it to us when they moved. It's a neutral color & has it's carry bag.. I'll have to see if I can find pics of it.

kidzndogz

Holy crap, thanks for all the responses.

Looks like it depends on the house/family/and lifestyle eh? Hmm.

And Lisa, yeah it will be even with our bed. Our bed is really high. I measured, and it's pretty much exactly the same height so it would be just like an extension of the bed.

Thanks for the PnP offers! :love: I'll let ya know, I have one but it doesn't have the bassinet option and then I might as well just use his crib from the get go you know? I'm just trying to find a way for me to be lazy in the middle of the night and not have to get up to get him, but not have him smashed between us.

Athena

the last one had a bassinette attatchment but it made her roll into a little ball in the center like a hedgehog so we were afraid to use it:thumbsdown:.

:eek: I am always hesitant with sleep devices. We looked at many when having baby #1 and I could not believe how terribly made many were. The child would be held up by some flimsy support that could easily break, and some of the floor models already were.

With that said, I did feel okay about our Graco PNP's bassinet, or at least better than the other options I saw. It had metal support bars on the underside of the bassinet and it held nice and straight. But I think Graco has had some PNPs recalled too. With any sleep device, I look closely at how it is built and supported and trust my gut. That's all you can do.

cryswilkins

If you would have asked me this before DS was born I would have said total waste of money. DS though, we are getting a lot of use out of the PNP. We have one with a full bassinet and elevated changing station. Its set up in our room and he naps there since the kids share a room.

natysr

See, if you already have a play yard, and what you really want is a co-sleeper, I would get an Arm's Reach co-sleeper over the Baby Trend one. It has a higher weight limit for the bassinet portion, and is much sturdier. You should be able to find a 2nd hand Arm's Reach for less than the cost of a new baby trend one. And I think it would have a higher re-sale value.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC