Booster training

mburks26

How many times a week/month would you allow an almost 5yr old (5 on June 9) to use a booster over 40 lbs and trips no longer then 15 to 20 min before stoping and getting out etc. My dd is now refusing to use her GN dont know why. The past 2 weeks that we have gone somewhere she has thrown a fit and her daddy gives into her. We normally only go somewhere on the weekends 2 or 3 days a week, unless I have to go to the store and she knows if its just me driving or if its raining she will ride in the GN, but when her daddys with us she just does not want the GN anymore.
Is that too much time if she sits right at her age? Oh she has maybe an inch left in harness anyway so one big torso growth spurt well then no more harness.

ADS

babyherder

If she's throwing a fit over sitting in a seat that keeps her safe she's not ready for a booster (maturity wise) IMO. Only calm, rational people should get to sit with the adult seat belt (with or without a booster). I wouldn't give in to her tantrums. I would talk with her about why she no longer wants her GN. Then, talk with her about when you'll let her ride in a booster (age, times, destinations, however you want to define it).

natysr

If she sits well I wouldn't have a huge issue with the booster, but I would with her "throwing a fit".

I agree.

When we started to booster train Jordan a couple of months ago, I had his frontier and booster both installed in the car.

Our training trips were driving him to school. 9/10ths of a mile, surface streets, 35 mph speed limit to get there, and only in good weather.

I know my son well enough to know that novelty is his currency. He loves "new" things and has a hard time transitioning back to old routines.

Before he had his first ride in it, I sat him down and explained to him. We were training, which meant practice. Mommy and Daddy decides when we are doing practice, and when we are not. If he is not sitting correctly on the ride, he gets one warning. If he still can't/won't sit correctly, we pull over and he moves into his frontier. If he ever throws a fit about which seat we ask him to sit in, the booster gets removed from the car and put in the garage for 1 week. Then after that week, we will take it out and try again.

Setting out these rules REALLY helped. There was one time he almost threw a fit when I told him that he needed to ride in the frontier because we were going on the freeway. I reminded him that his booster was about to be put in the garage for a week, and he stopped immediately.

Generally, he does really well still riding in the harnessed seat. What he really likes is being able to ride in the booster when dropped off at school. He can unbuckle himself and get out of the car like a big boy, without help from me.

msg221

I agree.

Before he had his first ride in it, I sat him down and explained to him. We were training, which meant practice. Mommy and Daddy decides when we are doing practice, and when we are not. If he is not sitting correctly on the ride, he gets one warning. If he still can't/won't sit correctly, we pull over and he moves into his frontier. If he ever throws a fit about which seat we ask him to sit in, the booster gets removed from the car and put in the garage for 1 week. Then after that week, we will take it out and try again.
QUOTE]

I am going to have to remember your method when it comes time for me. Thank goodness, booster training will be a long way off; the thought of doing this with twins scares me! I have a feeling that with the twins, one of them will be more ready than the other but it would be hard to start training one without the other one getting upset that his or her sibling gets to ride in the booster and not him or her. Talk about throwing a fit!

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I agree about the tantruming.
The booster would get taken out entirely for a week or so, and only the harnessed seat used. Them I would have a talk similar to what nat said, before bringing it out again. Then start over.
In general, I wouldn't have much problem with a 5yo WHO WAS MATURE ENOUGH to ride in a booster full time, but clearly, there are some issues there. MY dd trtied pulling some power struggles like that when we first startged booster training, but we got over them. Now, a year later at 5.5, she is compeltely used to the different seats, and sits really well in the booster. IF we outgrew the GN tomorrow, I wouldn't have an issue with her bring fulltime boostered.

steph_s

I totally agree that if the child is throwing a fit they likely aren't mature enough for a booster. I also told my children they are training which means when I say so and when I decide they can ride in it. It hasn't been an issue too much. Then again my kids love their big harnessing seats and dislike boosters for the most part.

Now, if the tantrums are over with then I typically do before and after school trips which is only about a mile and a half or so and then once a week to my mom's house which is about 15-20 minutes away depending on traffic. Once they are really good in their booster I try a trip to the lake which is about an hour and 15 minute drive. Also trying on the way home from the lake on Sunday's when they are really tired and I know they will fall asleep. I just take a different way home so I can easily pull over and move them to a harnessing seat if necessary. I think part of being able to ride in a booster is being able to sleep in the booster.

mburks26

She sits fine in the booster as long as its no longer then 15 min to 20 mins and she has slept in it and was fine( I do lock the belt) she has slept better in the Vivo then the GN.
She only does the fit throwing with daddy cause he gives in all the time about almost everything. She wants to sit in it cause its Pink. Gn stays installed theres always that option if she does not behave.

solmama

It actually sounds like you need to have a talk with dad. You both need to be on the same page, especially regarding your child's safety, and you both need to be able to back the other up.

babyherder

Well, she can't see the pink if she's sitting on it! Tell her she can sit in the GN so she can see the pink seat better.

mburks26

lol the Vivo isnt installed all the time.
Is a booster unsafe for 5yr over 40lbs that will sit right in it? I have read conflicting reports.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
If she is mature enough to use a booster properly, it is safe for a 5yo child over 40#. If she "throws a fit" over carseat use, I question whether she is mature enough to use a booster properly.

christineka

Is a booster unsafe for 5yr over 40lbs that will sit right in it? I have read conflicting reports.

Imo, no. I'm not an expert, though. Perhaps you could find someone to swap gn covers with to get a pink one and then your dd will be happier in the gn?

I have a child or two who insist upon sitting in pink seats, so I understand.

ginny4

perhaps my boys shouldn't ride in a car at all. they throw fits soemtimes STILL at 10.5 & 9.5 yo. tho their fits might be different but sometimes they choose not to sit right cause they are mad about something. i don't move til they of course do sit correctly. they will straighten up pretty much ASAP. kids throw fits no matter the age. in fact so do adults too. so just because she throws a fit doesn't mean she's not ready. she's just confused.....that dad lets her have her way in a booster anytime she feels like it. she's testing her limits. its more of an issue with mom & dad not being on the same page.

tho i think a pink GN will hlp solve the color issue. i have a DD who needs PINK too

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Um, I am in the "if she throws a fit she doesn't get a booster at all" camp. I would explain that throwing a fit is not a way to get what she wants, and that her behavior is indicative of her not having good impulse control, and if she does not have good impulse control then she may not ride in a booster as it is not safe.

She's old enough to understand that, and to get the point with appropriate reinforcement (if she doesn't have a fit for a few days, you offer to let her ride. Then next time she's back in the harness, if she has a fit again, you don't offer for a longer period of time. The better behaved she is, the more frequently what she wants is allowed.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC