A few ?s about our Nautilus

jessi f

A few ?s about our Nautilus *Pic of harness added*

*Pic of harness added in post #4*
So a couple of months ago I bought a Nautilus for our 3 1/2 year old DS. I really like it but when I moved the straps up to the next highest slots I noticed a few little issues. Moving the straps up made the seat seem huge for him. The seat seemed to fit him so well before but now the headwings seem like theyre up so far :( His shoulders were pretty much at the second slots up not over but hard to tell if they were under so I'm pretty sure I needed to move them. Also I noticed the adjuster strap seems to be fuzzing up some. It's not bad yet but the seat pretty new and Ive never seen that on any of our other seats. I got it from WM and could still take it back but I dont know how much of an issue that is? Also when I reinstalled the seat I didnt notice the buckle ended up against the belt path a bit and when I tightened it I made a small white stress mark. I twisted the female end of the buckle down so it doesnt touch anymore. I didnt hurt the seat did I? I really do like this seat for him just want to make sure it's working out. Heres a pic of him in his seat.

Last edited:
ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
That's normal for the headrest to move up and look too high. He'll grow back into it. And then it'll happen again the next time you move the straps, and he'll grow into it again.

Fuzz is not an issue in the least. An honest to goodness fray -- going into the webbing of the strap and not just along the edge -- is a problem. Fuzzing is normal to an extent.

I wouldn't worry about the seat too much from the buckle. They are ok taking some small dings, I mean, kids do sit in them. If you're talking a three inch stress mark then I'd be worried, but a little nick of a mark, nah. I might get that bumping it as I put it into someone's car.

That is a super sweet picture. :)

Wendy

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I have a 4.5 year old and I too was surprised when I moved him to the next slots and realized how high the headrest seemed when I put that up to the next notch as well. It would be nice if they had some more in-between clicks. But they don't, and my ds's head was still within the wings so I was fine with it. And he's a real cutie-pie! :D

jessi f

Thanks for the replies! I :love: that pic too, they ride around like that all the time it's too sweet.

I guess my worry with the fuzzy strap is that it will turn into real fraying after my time when I could exchange the seat is up. Is Graco good about repairing/replacing stuff like that if it does get worse?

The stress mark is super tiny. Like smaller than the tip of a pencil eraser. I'm glad it's not a problem.

Good to hear I'm not the only one that thought the seat seemed big for their kid. I cant imagine the next slot up! I am getting used to it allready though.

Ok, I went out look at the strap and try to get a pic of it and it's kind of worrying me more now. It's not fuzzy all over it's more of a snag that's like 4 inches long or so. But it seems like the threads involved are actually broken through. What do you think?

CTPDMom

I can't say whether that would be an issue or not. But we've been using a GN for over a year now, daily use, and mine doesn't look anything like that. I'd just call Graco, tell them about the problem and offer to send the pic...and see what they say. :twocents:

jessi f

Thanks again. I just sent them an e-mail with the pic. Should I have called instead? Didnt notice you said call :eek: I feel ok with the strap right now but in 2 more months if it keeps doing this I think it will look pretty rough....

Has anyone else had this problem? Or a link to pics of fray vs. fuss?

Raegansmom4

I had concerns about the fuzzing on my GN adjuster strap, so right before the 1 year was up, I called them about it to see what they had to say. They claimed they hadn't heard of this problem before? They sent me a new base (just the seat part that has the adjuster stap) - no new cover for it. I haven't put the new one on yet (wanted to wait for the fuzzing to get worse - plus I got a Regent for primary), and I've actually noticed no change since then (about 6 months ago). So I think for the most part it fuzzes up to a certain extent and then maybe doesn't get any worse. Same with the adjuster strap on the MyRide - it got only so fuzzy and now hasn't shown any more fuzzing since then, if that makes sense?

jessi f

Did yours get fuzzy all over or just on one spot? It looks like somthing is catching the strap as it feeds in and out so the wear is showing in a straight line. It feels really rough when you rub your finger down it.

Raegansmom4

That's exactly what mine did and why I called Graco. The fuzzing went down the top of the strap in a line about 2-3 inches long (whereas typical fuzzing on adjuster straps are on the edges). When I described it to Graco, the rep claimed to never have heard of that problem before. That's why they sent out the new base (adjuster strap is not replaceable by itself like on some car seats). Since then, I haven't noticed it getting any worse, and it's not fraying at all, just fuzzy in a weird way. Yeah, it almost seemed to get that way like something was dragging across the top of the strap when I tightened or loosened it?

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
You've got great answers. The headrest issue is one that is annoying. It really would hurt them top redesign the headrest slightlky so that it sits a tad further downon the sideds in relation to where the harness slots portion is....I hate having the red belt guideds beside my kids head, and so does she...she still car sleep, which is why she even still in a harness, and they are not very comfy.

CTPDMom

Thanks again. I just sent them an e-mail with the pic. Should I have called instead? Didnt notice you said call :eek: I feel ok with the strap right now but in 2 more months if it keeps doing this I think it will look pretty rough....

Has anyone else had this problem? Or a link to pics of fray vs. fuss?

E-mailing is fine I'm sure. :thumbsup: Let us know what they say.

I'm inclined to think that if it's 'catching' inside the seat somewhere that it's likely to get worse, as opposed to 'fuzzing' on the edges which is to be expected...if that makes sense.

zavyirsdaddy

I just spoke with Graco this morning because of this same exact issue on one of our Nautilus', except it's fraying, not just fuzzing up. They are sending me a check for a replacement and a return shipping label. Out of the 4 in our vehicles, 1 is really frayed, and the 3 others are starting to fray. They all have a 2008 DOM. I plan to call Graco tomorrow about the other 3. I love the seats but am very disappointed that the straps are fraying already.

Andie

Did yours get fuzzy all over or just on one spot? It looks like somthing is catching the strap as it feeds in and out so the wear is showing in a straight line. It feels really rough when you rub your finger down it.

If you put your finger in the adjuster area and lift the lever, you can feel a sharp edge on the side that is against the strap. I always pulled to tighten straight down and never had an issue w/fraying. I think that if you pull up or straight out from the seat, it causes the fraying as it rubs against that edge more.

CTPDMom

If you put your finger in the adjuster area and lift the lever, you can feel a sharp edge on the side that is against the strap. I always pulled to tighten straight down and never had an issue w/fraying. I think that if you pull up or straight out from the seat, it causes the fraying as it rubs against that edge more.

That may be why I've never had a problem...I always pull straight out. I even checked mine again tonight on the way home from dinner and it's definitely just fine...no fuzzing or anything.

jessi f

Here's the response I got from Graco

We are sorry to hear of the problem with the product. We will be happy to assist you with this. The seat with the pull strap is replaceable and we have ordered it for you. Please, allow 10 business days for delivery.

I'm happy with this bc it will obviously fix my problem for now. But it seems like this is not the first time anyones had this issue. What about the kids who's parents arent on the lookout for this type of thing? I can see how pulling the strap straight down could help this not happen but it seems like they could just make a non-snaggy adjuster... And it would have been nice to get a whole new seat like the PP ;)

Reactions: Mae

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC