Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Does anyone know anything about chest freezers??

When we move in 2 weeks, we're going to purchase a chest freezer. We often go to Costco and buy a lot of frozen foods, but then have to cram them all into our freezer, and it drives me nuts. We're also thinking about purchasing 1/4 of a grain-fed cow so we'd need the space to freeze the meat in.

I've looked at Sears, Fry's, and Best Buy... but honestly, one of the things is I have no clue how to guesstimate what size would be sufficient for us...?

Any thoughts or tips or anything I should know when shopping for a chest freezer? Thank you!
    Anne, driving a '13 Odyssey and an '05 CRV

DD-Julia 9/04 (5 stepping now!)
    DS1-Luca 11/10 (Graco Wayz and Graco HB Turbobooster)
    DS2- Enzo 7/15 (Chicco NextFit and Diono R100)

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Does anyone know anything about chest freezers??

I personally would go for an upright freeze (looks like a fridge but one door). I hated digging through my aunt's deep freeze whenever we visited. She had a 25 cu ft or something around that big. As far as space? IDK, you could ask whoever will be butchering the 1/4 cow for you. They will know how much space you will need after everything is wrapped.

4. Thank You from:

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus UlrikeDG's Avatar

I'm actually thinking of switching from a chest to an upright. My parents and uncle and grandparents all had chest freezers. My 2nd cousin once removed (hahah--he's like another uncle, though) lives on a farm, and he's got at least 3 of them (I helped with meal prep at his house during harvest & deer season for years, so I had lots of experience with those freezers).

It doesn't matter how well organized you are, it is a PITB to access the stuff on the bottom. If you use baskets or boxes for the stuff on top, they get heavy, which means my kids can't lift them out on their own. You generally want to keep the oldest stuff on top, which means whenever you bring home a batch for the freezer (say a quarter of a cow or a season's worth of venison), you have to pull out all the old stuff, add the new stuff, then put the old stuff back on top.

I try to keep my meat color coded by when I got it. I just use a colored Sharpy to make a mark on the package so I can tell, "That's from last fall," and "This is the fresh stuff," since all our packages look alike otherwise. It's a lot faster than taking the time to scrawl a date on them, and it makes it easier to grab-and-go when I need something. I still occasionally find stuff that has been buried or otherwise hidden.

Whatever you decide to get, you're probably not going to fill it up immediately. I was told to fill the unused space with water-filled milk jugs in the interim, because a full freezer runs more efficiently than a half empty one.
    Ulrike, mom to:
    Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
    Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe, SPAM-free zone!

6. Thank You from:

Senior Community Member TerisBoys's Avatar

Check Lowes and Home Depot too - I got my chest freezer a couple years ago on clearance for about half price at Lowes because one end panel had a small ding and a scratch on it. Completely cosmetic.

My chest freezer lives in the garage. it now has many more scratches and dings on it from little boys and their bikes.

I agree with what the others said - find out how much room the chest will take and go from there.

8. Thank You from:

Moderator - CPS Technician BookMama's Avatar

I totally recommend an upright freezer as well. We bought one when we moved into our house (so, 8 years ago ) thinking that it was bigger than we'd ever need. Well guess what, we keep it pretty full most of the time! We stock up on meat when it's on sale, of course, but also ice cream, cheese (shredded cheese freezes wonderfully), ice cream/frozen treats, other frozen foods. For a while my kids were on a frozen waffle kick, so I'd buy about 15 boxes when they were $1/box and just stick 'em in the freezer. Even ham freezes well, which kind of surprises me - I bought two big boneless hams for $.79/lb. a few weeks ago, sliced each one into about 3/4 lb. slices and stuck them in the freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by UlrikeDG View Post
    Whatever you decide to get, you're probably not going to fill it up immediately. I was told to fill the unused space with water-filled milk jugs in the interim, because a full freezer runs more efficiently than a half empty one.
    Yes to this. Also, if you use some smaller containers instead of only gallon jugs, you can use when when you use a cooler.
    Andrea, CPST, Tech proxy, special Needs trained
    DS 4/01 - Seatbelt * DD1 11/05 - Oobr, PWSGL, Performance Booster
    DD2 10/09 - GN SS/Argos
    Plus a plethora of "spare" seats for everyone.

10. Thank You from:

Thanks everyone for your input. We'll definitely take a look at the upright freezers as well. I need to check the wall of the garage where the freezer will be placed to see how things would fit, but I can't imagine why a chest freezer would work but an upright wouldn't. I see uprights run a little more expensive, but I don't think DH will care about that as long as it's going to be easier to access what's inside of it.

Senior Community Member sirrahn's Avatar

One other thought about chest vs. upright freezer though depends on where you're going to put it and how much space you have. I thought I wanted an upright until it occurred to me that I would have to pull one of the cars out of the garage every time I wanted to actually open it

We have a smallish chest freezer (I think it was 7ish cubic feet) and I haven't had too much trouble digging stuff out of it although I've never had a whole cow in there or anything...just your basic giant bags of chicken breasts and veggies from Costco kind of stuff. It actually holds quite a bit though.
    Mom to DS-22 driving a 2011 Honda CR-Z, DS-19 driving a 2010 Toyota Prius, DD-16 driving a 2017 Toyota Yaris iA, and DD-14 riding in a 2018 Mazda CX-9 & 2018 Mazda CX-3

Ambassador - CPS Technician CTPDMom's Avatar

Are you in a cold weather area? We had to move our extra fridge from our garage into the basement because it was running constantly and not freezing any more due to the cold. We thought it would be fine since it was near the house, but no. So if you're in a cold zone that's something to think about.

And I agree about an upright. We used to own a chest freezer and I hated it. To restock properly you really need to remove everything, put the new stuff on the bottom and put the rest back...otherwise you're either using the new stuff first or always trying to dig through to get the older stuff. It was a pain.
    CPST - Special Needs Trained

The things you take for granted, someone else is praying for.

Quote Originally Posted by CTPDMom View Post
    Are you in a cold weather area? We had to move our extra fridge from our garage into the basement because it was running constantly and not freezing any more due to the cold. We thought it would be fine since it was near the house, but no. So if you're in a cold zone that's something to think about.
    We're in So. Cal. so not exactly a cold weather area.

I want to get an upright freezer too. My MIL said that uprights are less energy efficent than the chest freezers but I don't care. From what dh said, ikt would cost about $40 more per year to have an upright, but I think thats worth it since to me an upright would be a lot more convienent for storing and organizing.
    Mom to:
    Hannah 11 Graco Connext, Abby 10 Graco Connext, Josh 7 Recaro Performance Booster, and Zach 2 1/2 Sunshine Kids Radian 80.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0070921x00003a

We have this one. I like it because it is much shallower than a typical fridge so it fits well in the garage and things don't get lost in the back because it is too deep.

It is easy to keep like-stuff together between the shelves and the door.

Frigidaire makes a similar model. Ours was purchase on black Friday.
    Chardon, Ohio - One Heartbeat - 2/27/12

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus UlrikeDG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    I want to get an upright freezer too. My MIL said that uprights are less energy efficent than the chest freezers but I don't care. From what dh said, ikt would cost about $40 more per year to have an upright, but I think thats worth it since to me an upright would be a lot more convienent for storing and organizing.
    I told my dad last night that I was thinking about switching to an upright, and he said the same thing about efficiency. He also swears that better organization would solve all my issues with accessibility, but I lived with the man for 18 years. I know how "easy" it was pulling food out of HIS chest freezer. It's a design flaw.

Now, he did have a point. Heat rises, cold sinks. If you open a chest freezer, the cold stays, mostly, in the chest. If you open an upright, the cold "falls out". We don't open ours that often, less than once a week, but I suppose it could add up.
    Ulrike, mom to:
    Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
    Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe, SPAM-free zone!

We had a chest and an upright freezer when I was a kid, and honestly, I *hated* getting anything out of the chest freezer. they take up way too much floor space and stuff always gets lost in the bottom.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

Is your garage heated and cooled along with your house? If not your electric bill is going to get high. Your fridge is going to run more to compinsate for the differnent temp. Its like during the winter you don't have to have your fridge in you house turned to the coldest setting because the weather out side is already cold but during the summer its the opposite. If you have a basement it would be better to put it down there. When we lived in pa we had a basement but now I live in sc and we only have a garage and its not worth the extra expense to have another fridge or freezer. Chest freezers are usually more efficient than upright freezers. Chest freezers are better insulated and cold air doesn't spill out when the door is opened.
    Here are a couple of sites to look at. The last site tells you the best energy star appliances. See some copanys have been passing the products off as energy star when they really not so they have gone back and tested them and put them on this site.
    Good luck.

http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/...igerators.html

http://energystar.custhelp.com/cgi-b...p?p_faqid=3099

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...find_a_product.

Senior Community Member aeormsby's Avatar

Just wanted to add - make sure you don't get a frost-free one. Frost free freezers increase freezer burn.

We have an upright freezer and it's usually pretty full. Besides stocking up on meat & such when they're on sale, I make large batches of soup (if you're making some it's not much harder to double a batch) and fill up meal-sized containers to freeze for quick meals later.
    Ann

DD - 1/06 - 5-stepping
    DS - 12/07 - Incognito, Recaro Performance Booster & Harmony Literiders
    And a Bubble Bum for backup/travel

Quote Originally Posted by aeormsby View Post
    Just wanted to add - make sure you don't get a frost-free one. Frost free freezers increase freezer burn.

We have an upright freezer and it's usually pretty full. Besides stocking up on meat & such when they're on sale, I make large batches of soup (if you're making some it's not much harder to double a batch) and fill up meal-sized containers to freeze for quick meals later.
    Thanks for that tip!

And yes, I'm thinking an upright might be the best choice for us. I plan on doing freezer meals when my due date is approaching, because I have so many food allergies that I know I won't get dinners like most moms in my mom's group do. My mom always made big pots of soup and froze them when I was growing up. =)