Question Mercedes wagon middle seat - how to install a car seat base

marcusaurelius

Hi,

We purchased an R350 recently. The middle row is the same as an E350 car or wagon, which is to say the middle row does not have LATCH.

Since our two outside seats are in use with LATCH attached car seats, we have to use a seat belt in the middle seat to attach a car seat base.

The PROBLEM is this: the middle row seat belt buckle attachment is a loose one (fabric) and protrudes 3-4 inches (it is not built in to the bench like the outside seat buckles). So there appears to be no way to attach the car seat base CLOSE to the seat - it ends up being 3-4 inches from the backrest.

Isn't this dangerous in terms of rebound if we were hit from behind? This also means the car seat base moves around side to side A LOT.

Anyone have ideas how to correct this situation?

Thanks so much!
Marcus & Sara

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Could you take a picture please? I have no idea what you're talking about. You say the middle row doesn't have LATCH. Do you mean the center seat? Because if the middle row is like the backseat in an E350, then it should have LATCH. And you say you're using LATCH for the two seats on the outside.

It sounds like the stalk of the buckle, the female end, is about four inches from the crease of the seat? Is that right? If so, that may be an issue, but it shouldn't be. Several inches of movement, though, is not good. You need less than 1" front to back and side to side at the beltpath (the head of the seat may move, and that's fine).

It would help to know a lot what seats you have installed back there, how old the kids are, and how heavy they are. I'm guessing an infant seat since you said base, but I'm not positive. Is the seat there rear or forward facing?

Pictures, though, would be fantastic. Let us know if you need help getting pictures posted here. We don't need them of your kids, just of your seatbelts and carseats.

Wendy

tl01

I can see a pic of the seat on the MB website. My R350 that I no longer have was from before they offered the 7th seat. If the belt comes up out of the spot where it can be stored, does it actually attach far in front of the seat bite or is it closer to the seat bite like the others. I wonder if twisting the buckle stalk would help. You can twist it up to 3 full twists. I find the other stalks were quite easy for installing seats b/c of their location but I can see how this one might be a challenge. Can you take a picture of the stalk when you are holding it so we can see where it connects? What sort of seat are you trying to install in that spot? It is a pretty narrow seat also which might pose a problem. For the other's reading this post... here's a pic... assuming the link works. The buckle for the center is the front buckle on the side with two buckles. Okay... the link doesn't link to the pic. You need to choose interior pics and then the pic with the 3 seat row.
http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/#/explorePhotosVideos/?yr=2010&vc=R&bs=GST&vmf=R350V4

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Oh wow. Looking at those pics you are in for a tough install in that seat, what with the weird buckle position and the bump right at the base of the seat.

You'd have better luck putting a convertible there than an infant seat base, IMO. Could you put one of the older children in the center and the baby outboard. (we like to put the least protected child in the most protected center position whenever possible anyway. A child in a booster is less protected than a ffing child and a ffing child is less protected than a rfing child).

If you want the baby in the center, you could use an infant seat without the base pretty easily in that spot. The Combi Coccoro has a unique belt path that would also work well with the odd belt geometry.

As far as bases go. You *might* have better luck with the Chicco Keyfit or the Combi Shuttle 33 bases.

Good Luck

marcusaurelius

Problem solved! Just wanted to say thank you for people's advice on this subject.

I used the long belt path method and it REALLY secured my Britax Frontier XT even though the Mercedes middle seat has a long stalk seat belt several inches from the backseat.

Thanks everyone!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC