Tech class to be held in Dallas, Oregon

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
There with be a tech class March 13-16, 8:30-5:00 and March 17th 10:30-3:30 (inspection) at the Dallas Fire Department, 915 SE Shelton, Dallas. The cost of this five day class will be covered by the Oregon Department of Transportation. Anyone that is interested in the class, call 503-588-SAFE. If you would like the registration paperwork, I could foward you the email I was sent. We are in great need of volunteer techs in Marion and Polk county!

ADS

scatterbunny

I will BE THERE! :D Woohoo! I cannot express how excited I am to finally be able to do this.

It would be really cool if some of the other Oregonian members of car-seat.org could join me. :)

scatterbunny

Thanks. :) I just need to work out childcare. We can't afford to pay daycare for the week, we can't afford for Mark to take off work like he did last year (when I didn't finish the class). My Nana would do it, but my mom is adamant that Nana can't handle Hayley for that length of time. :( So I don't know what I'm going to do. I need to find out if Nana's upstairs neighbor is willing to kind of hang out for part of the day. She's got a young daughter, too, and she spends time with Nana pretty often, so hopefully it will work out.

lovinwaves

Thanks. :) I just need to work out childcare. We can't afford to pay daycare for the week, we can't afford for Mark to take off work like he did last year (when I didn't finish the class). My Nana would do it, but my mom is adamant that Nana can't handle Hayley for that length of time. :( So I don't know what I'm going to do. I need to find out if Nana's upstairs neighbor is willing to kind of hang out for part of the day. She's got a young daughter, too, and she spends time with Nana pretty often, so hopefully it will work out.

I am in the exact same boat! Once we do finally get a local class I then have to find a babysitter for those 40 hours! I am actually hoping the next class that comes is one that is like one day a week for 4-5 weeks. That would be much easier for my family to help me out. Well, gee...If I lived close to you I would watch Hayley for you ;)

LuvBug

yeah if we didnt live on opposite sides and opposite ends then Id watch hayley for ya lol!
Good luck with the childcare, Im sure you will figure something out.

scatterbunny

I talked to Nana and she said don't listen to my mom, she can handle Hayley just fine. Hayley IS usually an angel for Nana anyway (Nana spoils her with soda and chocolate donuts, LOL). I found out that Nana will be able to watch her with the help of her upstairs neighbor for the first three days of class; the fourth day my 13yo sister will be there to help, and the fifth day (seat check day), my mom will be able to be there. :D

lovinwaves

I talked to Nana and she said don't listen to my mom, she can handle Hayley just fine. Hayley IS usually an angel for Nana anyway (Nana spoils her with soda and chocolate donuts, LOL). I found out that Nana will be able to watch her with the help of her upstairs neighbor for the first three days of class; the fourth day my 13yo sister will be there to help, and the fifth day (seat check day), my mom will be able to be there. :D

I'm so happy for your Jenny! This has been a long time coming, huh? :D

scatterbunny

It sure has!!!

Last February I paid $60 for the class and only went the first day. I had a hard time dealing with the instructors and I had a long drive to and from class and it was freezing weather and I had an anxiety attack on the drive home from the first night.

But this time the class is just a few minutes from my mom and Nana, with different instructors ( :p ), so I'm thinking I'll be fine. I'm soooo excited!

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Jenny - So glad you're finally getting to take the class! Congrats... :D

This probably wouldn't work every single day and would depend on your instructors, but if you had to, could you take her with you? I was in a situation with Nolan one morning when things fell apart a little and thought I was going to have to take him with me until lunch, when Brian was going to come get him. So I loaded up his DVD player (and headphones), some toys and snacks, etc. It ended up that I didn't have to take him with me after all, but I was going to try! And go with the idea that "it's easier to ask forgiveness than get permission".

When I was wondering about childcare for Nolan, I remember that you had said you'd keep him if you were closer. (Thanks, BTW ;) I'd do the same with Hayley...:D

ETA:(FYI, I wouldn't have done it if I thought he would disrupt the class - with his movies, he sits perfectly still. Scary, actually.).

lynsgirl

Yeah Jenny! I'm so excited for you! I think all of us can understand the need to have childcare in place before doing this :) . I had to pass several times on the class until dh could take a week off and be home. Again, so excited for you! I bet the timing and instructors and location have worked out just for you :D (seriously) and I'm glad. Have a super time!

bensmom

Admin - CPS Technician
I agree. I got lucky and there was a local class 2 weekends in a row, so DH was home with DS1.

Glad you got things worked out!

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Jenny I do live near you and I would watch Hayley for you anytime. Hey I have a 6 year old dd she can hang out with too! I can't wait for you to take the class and let me know how the instructors are at this one.

Southpaw~ I had the instructors she had in her class and they are very set in their ways and did not promote extended rearfacing or extended harnessing. They also got very defensive when I would bring up something like extended rearfacing and would argue with me like I didn't know what I was talking about. Pshha!

scatterbunny

Aww, thank you so much! :D I think it's all worked out, though. Nana, with the help of her friend/neighbor will handle it Tuesday/Wednesday and Thursday, then my sister will be there Friday and my mom on Saturday. :)

And yep, Danielle hit the nail on the head. The instructors really pushed the bare minimums and made me feel like an idiot when I interjected what I knew was fact.

The ACTS Oregon website (the agency these techs work for) didn't even have any higher weight limit options listed in their FAQ until I emailed and complained. They had all this info on if a child is 40 pounds and the vehicle has only lapbelts that they are exempt from Oregon's booster law--but how about offering some SAFE alternatives for those 40#+ kids in lapbelt-only situations?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC