Question What car seat brands do you tend to stay away from?

Jazlynn's Mommy

2 part question:

If you have a Britax Marathon, do you love it? What are the pros and cons? I have a Britax Marathon CS for my 17 month old daughter, and i haven't have any cons. The only one i can think of would be leg room, i wish it had more. Also a higher RF weight limit, but 35 lbs. is still pretty high, and most kids outgrow car seats by height first.

What car seat brands do you tend to stay away from? For me, it's anything from Dorel. So Safety First, Eddie Bauer, Costco. Just not a huge fan of them.

I'm kinda thinking about buying another car seat, but not sure what to look into. Any suggestions? My daughter is 28 lbs. and 33 inches. I want to RF as long as possible.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
There are no brands I stay away from completely. In fact, the Safety 1st Complete Air, Cosco Scenera, and Safety 1st Avenue are very commonly recommended.

Britax seats tend to have shorter shells and less leg room/leg support than the other seats anywhere near their price range. For that they're not as oftenly recommended. Great seats, comfortable, easy to install and use, but not as cost effective as others. So actually, not that I avoid them or hate them, but I tend to not recommend Britax on that ground.

For a 28 pound 17 month old I'd look at something with a 40-45 pound rear facing weight limit. That would be the Graco My Ride (if she has a shorter torso), Safety 1st Complete Air, and the Sunshine Kids Radians. If you can wait, the new Evenflo Triumph Advance 65 (or is it just Triumph 65?) and the Evenflo Momentum 65 will also have 40 pound rear facing weight limits.

Wendy

mpk3

If you have a Britax Marathon, do you love it? What are the pros and cons?

I have owned three Britax Marathons. My oldest two girls rode in their Marathons until the seats expired. My baby is still riding rear-facing in her Marathon.

I never had any issue with them, for the most part. They are really easy to install and I, personally, have always felt confident about the quality. As my two older kids got older, especially my oldest, it did feel like they were outgrowing the seat...even though they were WELL within the weight and height ranges for the Marathon. It almost looked uncomfortable for them the way the base of the seat was so high up, if that makes any sense. In fact, when I switched them to their Britax Frontier 85 seats recently, they both felt much more comfortable.

My baby is RF in her Marathon and she's very tiny for her age. Yet, it's starting to look like her leg room is decreasing already. I know this isn't a problem or safety issue, but I am a little surprised to see this happen so soon.

I'm kinda thinking about buying another car seat, but not sure what to look into. Any suggestions? My daughter is 28 lbs. and 33 inches. I want to RF as long as possible.

I just bought a Radian XTSL for use when I need to do a three across in our SUV. But, I'm thinking I might be switching my baby into this seat for day-to-day use because I think it will suit her better for RF longer.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Dorel makes Cosco seats, not Costco seats.

There is no manufacturer that I consider unsafe. I personally don't buy or recommend Britax convertibles for a whole host of reasons including relatively low RFing limit, tall bottom straps and short top straps, high base, lack of leg room, and questionable (but NOT conclusive) test results.

Maedze

I do not 'stay away from' any car seat brands. There are some people who will turn up their noses at a brand, but that is not scientific and frankly not very helpful to people who need to buy the best seat for THEIR situation without someone's personal and unwarranted views putting pressure on their decision.

Dorel makes some of the most commonly recommended seats

1. Safety First OnBoard 35: Tallest infant seat available, but fits premature babies well. The BRU version even has a seatbelt lock off.

2. Cosco Scenera: inexpensive, fits children from birth, and will get most kids to around 3 years old. No frills, but fantastic range considering the overall cost of 50 dollars.

3. Safety First Avenue: The Scenera's older cousin. More padding, taller top harness slots. Still relatively inexpensive.

4. Safety First/Cosco Apex/Alpha Elite/Biltmore: not a common recommendation anymore because its been superseded by other products, but it was the first affordable, non-Britax, higher harnessing weight combination seat that was readily available to the general public

Britax makes some fantastic products, but the Marathon doesn't make my personal 'best recs' list. It surely was innovative when it was developed 7 years ago, but other companies have surpassed it. It has a 35 pound rear facing weight limit which seems weak, given the overall cost of the seat and the availability of 40+ seats on the market since last year. It also has much less leg room than any other large convertible on the market. Those two things make it not ERF-friendly for average-to-large sized children, in comparison with other seats available.

So while it's not a 'bad' seat, it simply doesn't come up to snuff in comparison with more recent developments from other manufacturers.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'm not a brand snob, but I don't buy many Britax products, because I find other products can serve me just as well for less money, usually. If an opportunity comes up to purchase one at a good price, or a real need comes up for a niche only they can fill, I'd spend the $$$ though. Ditto Recaro. Other than that-- I own/have owned seat(s) from every current seat maker (except Evenflo, and I really like some of their products, I just haven't personally had an opportunity to buy any yet) and have liked them all in some ways or another. (I did own a Recaro and do own 2 Britaxes. Just, how I came to them was unusual and I wouldn't have bought them at full price.)

lorinick

2 part question:

If you have a Britax Marathon, do you love it? What are the pros and cons? I have a Britax Marathon CS for my 17 month old daughter, and i haven't have any cons. The only one i can think of would be leg room, i wish it had more. Also a higher RF weight limit, but 35 lbs. is still pretty high, and most kids outgrow car seats by height first.

What car seat brands do you tend to stay away from? For me, it's anything from Dorel. So Safety First, Eddie Bauer, Costco. Just not a huge fan of them.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:I'm in full agreement. Same for me. I do like other seats. Rf limit to 35 isn't an issue for me. I will be turning my seat at three. My ds will not 35lb at that time.

As for all the pp stating that don't recommend the seat is that because it only goes to 35lb?

Twinklefae

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:I'm in full agreement. Same for me. I do like other seats. Rf limit to 35 isn't an issue for me. I will be turning my seat at three. My ds will not 35lb at that time.

As for all the pp stating that don't recommend the seat is that because it only goes to 35lb?

Not entirely. I don't recommend it because A) in Canada it only rf to 30lbs b) It costs an arm and a leg c) there is very little rear facing leg room d) there are many other seats on the market that do what the MA does for a LOT less money.

Maedze

As I stated in my previous post, I do not recommend it because it only goes to 35 pounds rear facing, has limited leg room for older toddlers and preschoolers, and costs a lot more money than seats that do a lot more for less.

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
Except for kids with really long torsos or seats with really short shells (ComfortSport, Roundabout), kids tend to outgrow convertibles rear-facing by weight. So, the Marathon with it's 35 pound rear-facing weight limit was great for my DD, because she didn't hit the weight limit until she was 4 years old. It wasn't sufficient for my son, because he hit 35 pounds at 2.5 years old. DD went forward-facing (in a Frontier) at 4, but I replaced the Marathon with a Radian XTSL for my son so that he could continue to rear-face.

I personally would continue to rear-face until at least 4 years old, and I'm willing to buy new seats as necessary to meet that goal. I did like my Marathon, so I used it to the limits, then bought a new seat. If I were in your position, I'd use the Marathon for the next 7 pounds, while keeping my eye out on any new releases for seats that rear-face past 40+ pounds, in addition to considering the My Ride, Radian, and Complete Air that are already on the market.

The Marathon is a decent seat to use if someone already owns one, but there are several other seats on the market that can rear-face longer. While I used to recommend the Marathon (and the Boulevard) all the time, other companies have really continued to innovate in terms of their convertibles, so I have a hard time recommending the Britax convertibles given what else is on the market. While I wouldn't consider any of the current Britax convertibles if I were shopping for a seat, I do like the Frontier 85 (we're currently using the older Frontier) and the Parkway SG booster.

There's at least 1 seat I would consider from every major manufacturer, and there's no manufacturer that doesn't have at least 1 seat that I definitely wouldn't purchase. It's all about the individual seat for me, not the entire manufacturer's line-up. :twocents:

Jazlynn's Mommy

Not entirely. I don't recommend it because A) in Canada it only rf to 30lbs b) It costs an arm and a leg c) there is very little rear facing leg room d) there are many other seats on the market that do what the MA does for a LOT less money.

While i agree that there are less expensive car seats with higher rear facing limits and more leg room, i can't seem to find another car seat with all the added safety features that the Britax seats have, except maybe a Radian. I love that my Britax can tether rear facing. I love the belf lock offs and the fact that i can get a rock solid install everytime. Plus it has higher harness heights for forward facing. Is there another convertible car seat that has even higher harness heights as the Marathon, or are all about the same?

SavsMom

I generally shy away from the Dorel seats - but not because they aren't good, but because I find them to be a pain in the butt to install.

I had a Marathon and Boulevard and loved them both for quite some time until leg room became an issue, I sold them both and ended up getting a Sunshine Kids Radian and Evenflo Symphony65.

While I loved my Britax seats I am hoping that they come out with a seat with a higher rear facing weight limit and more rear facing leg room - for the price you pay for them there are a lot of other brands out there that are offering more seat for less $$$

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
While i agree that there are less expensive car seats with higher rear facing limits and more leg room, i can't seem to find another car seat with all the added safety features that the Britax seats have, except maybe a Radian. I love that my Britax can tether rear facing. I love the belf lock offs and the fact that i can get a rock solid install everytime. Plus it has higher harness heights for forward facing. Is there another convertible car seat that has even higher harness heights as the Marathon, or are all about the same?

The tether offers some side impact benefit, but otherwise Britax and Radians have no added "safety" features. The lockoffs can help in some cases to make for an easier install, which means it may be safer than a tougher seat that will be left "good enough" rather than "acceptable", but otherwise they have to pass the same safety tests as everyone else. The Scenera is just as safe as far as we know as a Marathon. When both are installed properly and used properly.

The Britax seats have some of the lowest top slots for HWH seats. They're about 16-16.5". The My Ride has the same top slots and shell height for half the price. Otherwise the True Fit, Radians, EFTA, and Complete Air all have slots 1-1.5" taller for less money. And more leg room/leg support (it's not just rear facing, nor is it a safety issue. However, a seat that does offer a lot of support forward facing will often lead to a kid who complains about leg or back pain in the car because their legs are dangling without support). The Radians have eight year lifespans, the True Fits seven. For less money than the Marathon. The True Fit Premier has an antirebound bar, similar to the rear facing tether, it has lockoffs, it has a taller shell and higher top slots, it has a longer lifespan. For less money.

The Britaxes aren't bad seats. They are safe and comfortable and easy to install. However, Britax's convertibles are riding on the high of seven years ago when the Marathon first came out (nearly eight years ago now) and brought HWH seats to the masses. The innovative features and comfort and convenience features were unmatched. And today many of the convenience features are still only found on Britaxes. The velcro to hold open the harness. The comfort pads were new on Britaxes as far as I know. But now most are doing some or all of those features. They're making bigger seats for less money. They're making seats that last longer in both directions. Britax needs to come out with The Next Best Thing in convertibles if they want to stay in the race, honestly. The Frontier 85 IS The Next Big Thing for combo seats. The Chaperone is lost in the infant seat crowd. But the Britax name keeps the convertibles selling, and the magical Britax Bubble keeps the name being thrown around when people ask for recommendations.

Wendy

Maedze

"Safety Features" is a relative term. The SAFEST feature is the one that allows the child to remain rear facing. It doesn't matter if your Marathon tethers rear facing, if your 18 month old is 34 pounds.

We have no proof that tethering in the rear facing position is statistically any safer than good old fashioned rear facing. It's a feature I like, myself, but again, no proof that it's better.

Most of the new higher-harnessing weight convertibles have top slots equal to or greater than the big Britaxes.

Lock offs are a nice feature, but certainly not a necessary one in 2010. Cars have been required to have locking mechanisms on all passenger belts since 1996, and most manufacturers met that requirement several years before they had to. Even for those vehicles, most of them had a center lap belt w a pull tail

Are there parents out there who own cars that pre-date locking belts? Yes, absolutely, but if you own a 25 year old car there's a good chance you can't afford a 300 dollar car seat any way. And locking clips aren't terribly difficult to use.

Again, the Marathon is not a 'bad' seat, but it's certainly not 'superior' either.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
If you are happy with your MarathonCS, then enjoy it (meant sincerely, not snarkily). No one is going to advise you to get rid of a seat you like if it fits your child and your car and can be used properly.

But in an objective discussion about brands, features, longevity, and value -- it's not going to come out on top.

Jazlynn's Mommy

The True Fit Premier - I've never came accross one of these. I have done a lot of research but if i can't try it before i buy it, then i shy away from buying it. Where can i find one of those seats? Where can i find a Radian to try out? There isn't a whole lot to choose from where i live, and actually, BRU in my area stopped selling all Britax seats because they were too high priced and people were not buying them (so they told me). Luckily Target sells them and i could try it out before i bought mine online for only $20 more than the MyRide i returned. So i guess price wasn't a huge issue for me, since i didn't pay their $300 retail price, but my seat was manufactured in 2010 and brand new when i bought it. I've REALLY been wanting to find a Radian to test out, but no one around here sells them. :eek:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The TFP may be in baby boutiques, like USA Baby, Buy Buy Baby, or a mom & pop independent store. Otherwise they're online.

If your choice is Target or bust, then the Marathon would make the list, since there I would recommend the EFTA, My Ride, Complete Air, and Marathon. Those are the four that will last a while there.

You can buy online with a good return policy, or buy seats from Target.com (I don't know if the TFP is there, but the Radians are I believe) and return to a Target store if it doesn't work.

Wendy

Jazlynn's Mommy

Yayy! I found a store (Galt Baby) about an hour away that sells the Radian XTSL! Now i really want to sell my Marathon, even though i love it, i want a seat with higher weight limits. Anyone recommend the Radian?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I PERSONALLY avoid Dorel seats because I have philosophical problems with the company. However, that doesn't stop me from recommending their seats to others, when appropriate, because it's not my place to make value judgrments for other people.

On the other hand, I have no philosophical problems with Britax, yet rarely find myself recommending their seats.

So although I "like" Dorel less, I recommend them more. At the end of the day, it's about price and longevity.

lorinick

The main reason I love the Britax MA and BV are they install easier than another seat imo. I think the Air Compete is a nightmare. An easy install means so much. It makes it worth the price in my book.

My local BRU store sells about six of them. Most cars in my area have them in there cars. But for me it's a great seat with the best install I've come across so far. Minus the KeyFit base and SS. I love the lock offs, the latch connectors. Also really like the padding. I'm not a fan of Cosco Sec. The lack of padding would keep me from using that seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC