Question WWYD?

SwingMom

I am pleased as punch to find that this time around (2nd baby due in Sept.) there are some options for RFing seats that are compatible with my '02 Mustang and DON'T render the front passenger seat unusable. I'm pondering what the best scenario is so that we don't have to repurchase car seats for the baby too quickly.
First, the background info:
DD is 3.5yrs, RFed 'til age 3.25 and would love to do the same with the new babe as well. DD is now FFing in two Marathons and a Scenera with loads of room to go in the shell (she's all leg). We will put her behind the driver to allow maximum leg room for the driver. The whole time she RFed (Graco SafeRide, Marathon) we were unable to use the front seat in this car.

Here are the seats that seem like they will work for the baby:
1. Combi Shuttle 33. We've already installed it and like it, the front seat can still be used when positioned so it barely touches the shell of the bucket. Seat specs say 33lbs and 33", so even if we don't ever take the seat off of the base it seems as though we should be able to make it to 2.5 yrs or more if this baby follows a similar growth curve (it's a girl)
2. Combi Coccoro. Seems able to go straight from NB on through, but at what age will a child outgrow this one RFing? Before or after the Shuttle? We haven't tried this one in the car yet, but I'm expecting it to fit as well or better than the Shuttle.
3. True Fit Premier or Recline. Since the headrest part comes off this would also work RFing for awhile, though I'm not clear how long. Since this is going in a 2-door, I think the complaints I've seen about it being difficult to adjust the strap height should be a non-issue; just flip the front seat forward and adjust. When we install in the car (hopefully this weekend) we will check to see if the front seat is still usable when at 35* as we would have it for a toddler down the road, since then it would RF to 35#.

So, if you were choosing between these seats for a child to use from birth RFing for as long as possible, which would you go with? Is there some other seat I should also try while I'm researching?

Thanks in advance!
Renee

ADS

Kat_Momof3

I'd go with one of the first two... because I just plain like them better....

as to which one... well, I'd hold out and see about the newer version coming out and see how it measures.

But I believe the CCO and the Shuttle 33 will both last about the same amount of time.

SwingMom

Kat, which one is getting a new model? Both? I suppose maybe they do that every year, huh? I'm not planning to buy until late summer anyway, but was really hoping to try the CCO in my car now. Only thing is I can't seem to find one in the Portland, OR area! BRU says they only have them online and Segel's doesn't carry that brand; Target website says it's only online as well.
Anyone in the Portland area know of a local store with this in stock?

DaniannieB

Ambassador - CPS Technician
The Shuttle 33 is the new version of the Shuttle.

The Coccoro is supposed to be coming out in a "2010" version. I don't think the dimensions will be any different. It is supposed to start at 3# rather than 5# (still goes to 33# RF), have a RF tether, and come w/ a RF recline wedge (like a pool noodle only nicer).

starbuck8088

IIRC, The headrest of the Shuttle 33 extends out past the shell of the seat when using the higher harness slots. If you've got it right now so that the seat in front touches the shell of the Shuttle, you might have a problem using the higher harness slots with an older child.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC