On the topic of vintage seats

ADS

fyrfightermomma

I love the first paragraph! LOL Very cool article

ETA: I just saw the last sentence. Just let the baby carrier do the babysitting for you! Now what, 40 years later, we are preaching to NOT let them become babysitters :)

hel

My parents had a GM car seat for me (born in 73 in Canada), and used for both of my younger siblings as well, but I remember it being FF, so not this one.

tjham

I had that seat for my son in 1977. But I bought it used and it had no harness. :eek: I actually felt like the fluffy blanket made it safer and held him in better, under the lap belt. :eek::eek:

NOBODY else I knew used ANYTHING for their babies, except maybe a laundry basket on the floor, so I thought I was ahead of the crowd, at least in my area. Seeing that these came out in 1971 amazes me! I'd love to print out the article but can't figure out how to do it.

http://www.car-seat.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=951&d=1197180859

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Interesting article - thanks for sharing! I hadn't realized that the GM Love baby seat was out in 1971 - I thought it was a little later than that (like, mid-70s).

Ali

That's what my mom had for my brother and I. It was a hand-me-down from her sister.

Jennifer mom to my 7

I had that seat for my son in 1977. But I bought it used and it had no harness. :eek: I actually felt like the fluffy blanket made it safer and held him in better, under the lap belt. :eek::eek:

NOBODY else I knew used ANYTHING for their babies, except maybe a laundry basket on the floor, so I thought I was ahead of the crowd, at least in my area. Seeing that these came out in 1971 amazes me! I'd love to print out the article but can't figure out how to do it.

http://www.car-seat.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=951&d=1197180859

Okay, disclaimer. Although my parents had this seat (as my dad worked for GM at the time) they did just wedge it in the center of the two seats of the 65? ford mustang fastback:eek: I don't think they ever actually used the seat belt. Then again, this was 1971 and I am grateful I was in a seat.

canadiangie

When I was 16 I 'worked' in the childcare centre of a local gym and one of the moms brought her baby in riding in a seat like this. It was ivory plastic, with brown vinyl for padding, it had a harness, and she kept the harness tight. She drove a Mustang and baby rode in the front seat. I remember watching from the windows intently (totally being nosy) and she always bucked it up. This would have been in 1995, btw. :whistle::eek:

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
I had that seat in 1985! I have pics of me in it that my dad just needs to scan for me. :)

To the best of my dad's knowledge it is still in the shed behind our old house. It was too rainy and muddy last time I was home to attempt to get out there. The shed is an 18 wheeler trailer parked in the woods b/w the old house and my uncle's house out in the country. :eek:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
My mom borrowed one of those (or maybe it had been mine? I'm not sure) in about 1978, I was born '72, and put a doll in it so we could ride in the carpool lane on the freeway with 3 people :whistle: I was fascinated by it in the living room, no wonder my living room now always has a few seats sitting around in it :eek:

susanx4

My mom and i where just talking about this seat today!! she called it the GM love seat! she used it for all 4 of us kids 1971-1979, she said its still in her basement! I used it for my bird seed baby i had to take care of in highschool! lol

appleorchard

I've been looking for a picture of one of these forever! I owned one for my son born in 1972. The next year or so they came out with an older child's seat, I think, better than the hook over the seat thing I had for my older son. But after age 3 or so, the older ones were loose in the back of the station wagon. I cringe to think of it..

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My eldest sister rode in a car bed (secured with seatbelts) in 1970 when she was born, because she had dislocated hips (footling breech, vaginal birth) until she was about a year old, when she went to a forward-facing car seat, then a shield booster until age 4.

My second sister, born 1973, had a seat like this, then a forward-facing seat after a year, then a shield booster.

I rear-faced until about 9 months (20 lbs.) then forward faced, then shield booster until 4 or so.

My little brother, born 1986, rear-faced until 22 lbs. in a brand-new seat, which was about 6 months for him, then forward-faced until 9 mos. (when he was 30 lbs.), then shield booster until age 4 when he was 40 lbs.

aeormsby

My brother had one like that, he was born in 1983. Everyone had those in the 80's. I remember all my little cousins and the babies my mom babysat used them. I think the hospital loaned them out.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC