Is he ready for a booster?

Milkie&Cookie

:confused:Uggg - DS is certainly old enough. He'll be 8 in July. MIL picks him up from school everyday. I check his seat periodically to make sure it is ok and I noticed last week that the highest strap is even with his shoulder. He's in an Apex 65 in her 2000 Honda CRV. I don't love that seat - it seams very flimsy to me.

So, should I convert the Apex 65 to a booster? I also have a compass folding booster for playdates, would that be safer? I also want to make sure it is easy to buckle in. I've noticed that it is even hard for me sometimes to buckle in a booster. They just flap around and don't seem very secure to me.

On a related note - he rides in Regents in mine and DH's car. I've noticed that his head is to the top of the seat even though he's not on the highest strap. What is my next step?

ADS

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
At 8 and 40+ lbs I would say he is ready for a booster if he can sit properly. I have not used the Apex but from what I understand it makes a very wide booster, esp. if you have a smaller child. I'd check his fit in both seats and see which is best.

mommyfrog

About the Regents.....It's fine if his head is above the top of the seat until the tops of his ears become even with the top of the seat. Or his shoulders go over the top shoulder strap slots.

Thats what my 7 1/2 yr old 65 lbs 4 ft 3 in tall child rides in as a booster and loves it. We just took the harness out and it has been awesome!

Oh and in my Ford Freestyle I can fit the Apex, a Marathon and a snugride without the base no problem..plus very easy to install and take out.

Milkie&Cookie

My concern is that he is tiny. He'll be 8 in July and is barely 40lbs. Does the width of the booster matter? The car that I'm worried about is the least "safe" car that he rides in. It is MIL's 2000 Honda CRV. No side airbags, no ESC, etc.

So, is there a better booster for him? Should I just swap one of my Regents into her car and put the Apex 65 in one of my cars? Should I just junk the Apex 65 and get a different booster.

What is the best booster for a tiny big kid?

Oh - one of the thing that concerns me about him is his head to body size ratio. He's always like in the 0-5% percentile for height and weight but his head is in the 100+%. He's a total bobble head. :p I know that is a risk for spinal problems in an accident. Help!

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I would be fine with a typical 40# 8yo in a booster, but the Apex will not be a good fit for a skinny kid. How about a Turbo?

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I agree, the Apex is a very wide booster. I'd look for something more narrow for your lightweight kiddo. The turbobooster or maybe the Recaro Vivo?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
If he's at least as big as this 5 yo, the belt probably fits fine... http://carseatblog.com/?p=1606 low on the lap, neatly in the middle of the shoulder. 'width' between the narrow child and the wide seat isn't known to be a safety issue, that I've ever heard of (Can someone confirm? I know people mention it a lot, but what is that based on?). However... I'd feel much more comfortable with a sturdier booster, and I think a good dedicated booster may be overall easier to buckle. Maybe something like the Monterey or Parkway SG would fit him well? Those are considerably more side impact protective than the Apex.

Milkie&Cookie

OK - so I checked out the turbo booster at Target last night and it seemed so hard. I know he'd have a fit. He has such a bony butt, he'd be whining in no time I'm sure. :rolleyes:

So, I'm looking at the PArkway SG and the Monterey. I love the latching part of the Monterey. I hate how boosters slide around. They just don't seem stable to me. But the Parkway seems to fit smaller kids better.

Any opinions for a 44lb tiny guy?

Also - should I put the booster in MIL's car or one of my cars and put a regent in her car? She's got a 2000 CRV. DH and I switch between an 08 Grand Caravan and an 08 Saturn Aura. Both with side airbags, ESC etc.

Qarin

FWIW, Babies R Us carries a Turbobooster with "GracoPedic (tm)" foam which seems to be a lot cushier under the bottom. My kids have never complained about the regular TB, but they don't ride in it fulltime or for really long trips.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC