Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Is the crotch strap on the Britax Marathon really a problem?

I see a lot of reviews complaining about how the crotch strap is too short or too shallow. I have a 28 lbs. 17 month old in a Marathon and i don't really see a problem with it..yet. Should i expect probelms as she gets older? I was also wondering if the straps were supposed to fit over the thighs. In the MyRide i had before this, the crotch strap was higher, so the staps came higher up on her legs and abdomin. It's a pretty big difference and i was wondering which is safer?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Is the crotch strap on the Britax Marathon really a problem?

I never had a problem with the crotch strap for my DS. He still rides in his MA sometimes. As far as which is safer, as long as they are both tight it doesn't matter. They will lay different on each child. I know the old Evenflo Triumphs came up insanely high but they were still safe. It's just how they were designed.
    DD1 12 Seatbelt
    DS 10 Seatbelt
    DD2 8months Keyfit

I don't have a problem with the crotch strap either- so far, so good
    Momma to three munchkins! Own a Recaro ProSport, FR85, TF, Blvd70, Scenera, Radian, Britax Chaperone, Evenflo HBB, Evenflo NBB ... cruising around in a 2011 Ford Explorer and 2011 F-150

Megan rode in a Marathon from birth to 4 yrs old when she outgrew it/we retired it. She was just over 40lbs at the time (long torso). We never had any trouble with the crotch strap during that time, even in cloth diapers and during her really chubbly stage. I think it can be more of an issue with boys.

The straps do fit more over the thighs, it is just how the harness is designed. I don't think there is any difference in safety that we are aware of.
    Natalie, CRST-I, mum of Greg (15), Megan (10), Benjamin and Samuel (6).

DS is 4. We have never had an issue with the crotch strap.

My grandson will be 5 next month - 40 lbs. His mom hasn't mentioned a problem with the Marathon crotch strap and I'm sure she would tell me if there was.

We just recently moved our 4 1/2 year old out of his MA and into a Nautilus Elite. He still fits okay in the MA, and the crotch strap height was never an issue, and he's got a rather long torso.