holy projectile risk, grandpa!

Hollyob

I drove my son in my dad's car the other day. When I put him in his GN, I noticed six (six!) concrete pavers on the floor of the back seat. :eek: I mentioned it to my husband, who said my dad put them in there in case he ever has to change a tire, and that way he can prop the car up instead of depending on the jack to hold the car. I don't know how long he has been driving around like that, but he does take my son places from time to time. And he has a trunk! When I see him this week, I am going to mention my concern about this and ask if he can put them in the trunk. I do NOT want my son to get a paver to the face in the event of a crash :thumbsdown:

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
On the floor in the backseat is actually the safest place for them. Or the trunk. Make sure he puts them against the backseat in the trunk.

I wouldn't worry too too much about them being projectiles where they are, though. Things will move toward the point of impact. They can't go forward, they can't go backward, they can't really move side to side very much.

More to the point, how often does he have to change a tire that this is a concern? Buy that man a AAA membership. Let AAA do it.

Wendy

simplychels

Bla, I so would not want to be in a rollover with cement blocks in my car!

I only keep unsecured things in my car that I wouldn't mind throwing at DD :p Cement blocks don't make that list!

But do remember that things from the trunk can also make their way into the vehicle compartment in a severe enough crash, so even then I'd be very hesitant to drive around with those. I agree with buying that man a AAA membership. Happy birthday Gramps! or maybe even a Happy Saturday gramps! and just get it done.

Hollyob

Hmmmm. AAA membership would make a nice birthday gift, but I don't know if he'd call them to change a tire. I think he'd rather do it himself. He's like that. We'll see. Thanks for the suggestion.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC