On Board 35 Air vs On Board 35

cookie123

I went to BRUS for a gate to day and also, of course, checked out the car seats.

They had 2 safety 1st systems on the end cap, one with the On Board 35, starting from 5 pounds, and one with the On Board 35 Air, starting at 4 lbs, with the preemie looking pads. No separate On Boards. Is this how it's going to be now?

They also had the Serenade, which looked like it could be installed without the base, and a 5 lb minimum, as well as the Shuttle 33, which I had a difficult time getting into the lowest slot position. It didn't seem all that low. I believe that just said up to 33 lbs.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My BRU only had those for a while, but now also carry a higher-end travel system with a 4 lb. OnBoard and the nice base. :thumbsup: I'm hoping soon they'll get a separate nice OB but I have low expectations since they don't carry any other Dorel seats separately.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I didn't ask about the basic OnBoard, but I was told that the new Onboard 35 has a new base, is 5-35 pounds and has a simple infant head roll. The Onboard 35 Air has the advanced head roll with additional inserts, adds the Air Protect feature and has mini-connectors for the LATCH attachments. I'll have a review of the Onboard 35 Air within the next week or two at www.carseatblog.com.

autumnlily

I saw the On Board 35 Air and really really liked it. The base looked great too. If I had had time, I would have taken the seat to my car to test the install!

cookie123

Did you guys note the strollers that come with? The back wheels seem really far apart.

Oh, I've never really looked at the test bench before. I about died when I saw the latch bars. They must stick 6 inches out from the seat bight. I'm sure you all know that already, though.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
If you have a newer BRU, the *real* LATCH bars are in the center, you have to dig for them in the center spot.

We have both those systems (I've only seen the carseat sold separately online or maybe at Target), the stroller seats are lacking padding, and the spare bases don't have lockoffs and have a weird recline foot. I like them better than the Gracos, though, not as much as the Chiccos...

:)

cookie123

If you have a newer BRU, the *real* LATCH bars are in the center, you have to dig for them in the center spot.

We have both those systems (I've only seen the carseat sold separately online or maybe at Target), the stroller seats are lacking padding, and the spare bases don't have lockoffs and have a weird recline foot. I like them better than the Gracos, though, not as much as the Chiccos...

:)

Are you saying that you like the spare On Board bases better than a Graco base?

y_p_w

I didn't ask about the basic OnBoard, but I was told that the new Onboard 35 has a new base, is 5-35 pounds and has a simple infant head roll. The Onboard 35 Air has the advanced head roll with additional inserts, adds the Air Protect feature and has mini-connectors for the LATCH attachments. I'll have a review of the Onboard 35 Air within the next week or two at www.carseatblog.com.
First post, so take it easy on a newbie. Wife's a few months away, but we were looking to get some things out of the way early.

I just got an OnBoard 35 today from Target - it's an $80 special in their national weekly ad. I was set on getting an OnBoard 35 Air, but the discussion was that they grow out of the infant seats quickly, and perhaps we should spend on a larger forward-facing seat that could be used for years. I very nearly got an OnBoard 35 Air (Silverleaf) for $144 on Amazon.com (not one of their affiliates), but waited for my wife to quiz others she knew with babies, and by that time the price bumped up to $165. My wife really wants a Britax Marathon when the time comes. I was hoping for a 35 lb seat to keep the baby rear-facing longer since I've heard that they can grow out of a typical 22 lb seat in 6 months. I live in California where the regs requires rear-facing under 1 year even if over 20 lbs.

It seems pretty nice for the price. All the other 35 lb seats on the market seem to start at much more. I thought the OnBoard 35 Air seats I saw had better looking fabric, but this seems to be easier to clean.

The one thing I'm concerned with is the base. The regular OnBoard 35 seems to come with the standard OnBoard base (model# 22955) with two positions. The front end is the lower portion, and the two-way adjustment is at the rear. I placed this in my wife's car (middle back) with the standard setting, and once I install the seat, the little ball seems to align right at the green area (5-11 lbs). The only adjustment extends a block at the rear with the result being the recline is even further, and I can't get it in the proper angle for 11-35 lbs.

210_999_2446_4030.jpg

http://www.safety1st.com/usa/eng/Pr...955-onBoard35-Adjustable-Infant-Car-Seat-Base

The OnBoard 35 Air seems to come with the "deluxe" base (model# IC037)with a 3-position adjustment of some kind. I haven't really seen one in a store. The only OnBoard 35 Air seats I've seen in person are part of a travel system and the retailers never bothered to display the base. The one thing I noticed about the "deluxe" base photo is that the front-end of the base seems to be a little bit higher than the standard version. I'm getting that this would probably help with my little problem with the recline angle.

210_999_2623_5405.jpg

http://www.safety1st.com/usa/eng/Pr...-IC037-onBoard35-Premium-Infant-Car-Seat-Base

It did occur to me that maybe I should just get the deluxe base. However - it almost seems absurd that I paid $80 for this and am looking at paying $70 for a base. I suppose it's Dorel's prerogative to charge twice as much for a fairly simple piece of molded plastic that costs them about about as much to make as their $35 standard base. I understand product differentiation and how manufacturers make more profit at the high end with marginally higher production costs. I briefly did a search here, and noticed some people talking about "noodles" (floating pool noodles I take it) and rolled towels to adjust the bases of front-facing seats. Has anyone here ever had to use anything to prop up one end of a seat base for a rear-facing seat? Is it safe? I suppose the potential problem would be the item propping it up could fall off, but dropping an inch wouldn't seem to be catastrophic.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
ypw, you got it right on target, so to speak, and pretty much as I understand it. The $80 new onBoard 35 meets a lower price point by using the budget base and cover/insert/padding soft goods package.

So, between the fully featured Air version and the budget "new" onBoard 5-35 pound version, there is also the original onBoard 35 that is rated 4-35 pounds and should have the nicer base and cover/inserts. I think those usually sell for around $120 online, right in between the other two models.

Our review of the onBoard 35 Air is nearly finished and should appear Wednesday or Friday of this week at www.carseatblog.com . It's a very nice infant seat, competitive with the Chicco Keyfit 30. I don't think you can go wrong with either of those models (if they fit your child, vehicle and you find them easy to use, of course!). The original onBoard 35 is quite nice, too, if you don't mind the absence of the Air Protect feature. I am not sure if that feature is worth the extra $40+ or not.

As for noodles and rolled towels, you may definitely use those to increase the recline angle of most rear-facing seats to 45 degrees. In fact, this is specifically allowed in many owners manuals (including the onBoard 35 Air manual I have in my hand). In general, you should not put anything under a front-facing carseat, with the possible exception of a very thin mat or single layer of towel or shelf liner if absolutely necessary.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Welcome to c-s.org!

Replying to your post is going to take this thread a bit off-topic, but you raise a few valid points that I want to make sure get addressed. I also want to clarify a few things that you said, so that others who have experience with this seat might be able to help you.

First of all, congratulations on the new baby, and congratulations as well for taking the time to research your car seat choices! It's an oft-overlooked subject for new parents, but so very important. I'm glad you came here. :)

If I understand correctly, the main "selling point" of the Air vs. the regular OnBoard is the "air protect" head wing cushions that are also on the Complete Air. Safety 1st says that the cushions help protect in side impact, which may well be true. There are no side impact testing standards, so all side impact "testing" claims are buyer beware. The great thing is, rear-facing in in of itself has huge benefits in side impact, so additional side impact protection is just icing on the cake.

...but the discussion was that they grow out of the infant seats quickly, and perhaps we should spend on a larger forward-facing seat that could be used for years. <snip> My wife really wants a Britax Marathon when the time comes. I was hoping for a 35 lb seat to keep the baby rear-facing longer since I've heard that they can grow out of a typical 22 lb seat in 6 months. I live in California where the regs requires rear-facing under 1 year even if over 20 lbs.

A couple of things about this paragraph. First of all, and most importantly -- one year and 20lbs is an old minimum for forward-facing. We prefer to see kids rearface for three to four years, with two being the absolute minimum. Research has proven that young children (one-year-olds in particular) are up to five times safer remaining rear-facing. As such, ideally a 'larger forward-facing seat' will be a good while in your future. Typically, we recommend using an infant seat for the first while, and then switching to a convertible that can be used RFing for several years (though a convertible can be used from the start, if you prefer.) Here's a good video that helps to explain why we want you to RF longer...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8gU9zzCGA8"]YouTube- Front facing or Rear facing? Car seat safety TRUE STORY crash test videos[/ame]

We have a handful of seats that we frequently recommend for extended rearfacing, but the Britax Marathon is no longer on that list. The reason for this is because there are several other seats which will allow your child to rearface longer, in weight limit, height, and leg room. Once your baby is here, and you're ready to get a convertible, you can post again and we can make recommendations based on whether your child is tall and thin, or shorter and stocky, and also based on the latest and greatest. (The same goes for a forward-facing seat when you get there.) A year ago, there was not a single seat that went past 35 lbs in RF mode. Now there are three 40lb seats and two 45lb seats (though both are different models of the same seat,) with two more 40lb seats soon to hit the market. These things change quickly!

As such... it might do you well to purchase a smaller, less expensive infant seat, and then spend more for a good ERF seat. There are ERF seats which will last a long time for RF, and then a long time for FFing, leaving you to only need to purchase a booster when the time comes (at age 5-6.) Or, if you plan to have more children, you can pass down the ERF seat and get a dedicated FF-only seat that will eventually turn into a booster.

Now that I've thrown all of that at you, I want to try to address your original question at hand. As I said earlier, I do not have experience with this particular infant seat, so hopefully someone who does will correct me if I have misunderstood something.

The reason that an infant base has different reclines is primarily so that it can fit different vehicle seats. A seat that is very sloped will need the recline foot lowered; a very flat seat will not. What you are attempting to achieve is a 45* angle for a young infant, so that his/her head does not flop forward and his/her airway is maintained. So, if you are able to maintain this angle without putting the recline foot down, this is just fine.

In the long-term, if you are not able to get it into the 11-35lb angle, that is not really a problem per se. Older babies/children might prefer a more upright angle, but it is not necessary for their safety. Acceptable RF angles range from 30-45*, with the 45* being necessary for a newborn. There are some tricks that might be useful in terms of getting a more upright angle, but I find that many parents simply opt to switch out of the infant seat and into a convertible (which can easily be installed more upright) when the baby desires a lesser recline angle. As such, I think that rather than spend the extra money on the base, I would save it and plan on putting it towards a nicer convertible, since it is unlikely you'll actually need to get a more upright angle as early as 11lbs, since an 11lb baby is likely to still the support from the 45* angle.

BTW, what vehicle are you installing this seat in, and are you installing it with the seatbelt or with LATCH? Many vehicles prohibit using LATCH to install in the center, which is why I ask.

I know that was reallly long, but I hope it gave you some insight and answered your questions. Please feel free to reply back with any additional questions you have, or any clarifications you might need (I tend to get wordy sometimes!) :)

Carrie_R

Shoot, somehow I missed the second half of your last paragraph. Not sure how I did that :confused: Anyways, rather than edit my already-really-long paragraph, I'll just put it as a new reply... (Darren already said some of this, since we cross-posted, but I think it's worth re-iterating.)

I briefly did a search here, and noticed some people talking about "noodles" (floating pool noodles I take it) and rolled towels to adjust the bases of front-facing seats. Has anyone here ever had to use anything to prop up one end of a seat base for a rear-facing seat? Is it safe? I suppose the potential problem would be the item propping it up could fall off, but dropping an inch wouldn't seem to be catastrophic.

Pool noodles are used to adjust the recline of a RF seat only (never a FF one,) and only at the seat bight. This is because the force in the accident pulls the seat in the opposite direction, so the noodle acts as a positioner, not as a force-bearing instrument in the crash.

Putting a noodle at the opposite end of the seat (to decrease rather than increase the angle) could be catastrophic in a crash, because it would need to be force-bearing. But the whole reason it's noodles that are used (along with rolled towels and other such instruments) is that they are soft and compressable... which could be a disaster. Maybe it would be safe, but we don't know -- I've read it around here that trying something similar would be the equivalent of using your child as a crash test dummy. I certainly wouldn't try it with my kiddos.

As I said before, if you are able to achieve the 45* angle, you should be good to go. Achieving a lesser angle is a comfort/convenience item, not a necessity, and most babies are fine at 45* for several months.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
My wife really wants a Britax Marathon when the time comes. I was hoping for a 35 lb seat to keep the baby rear-facing longer since I've heard that they can grow out of a typical 22 lb seat in 6 months.

We have a handful of seats that we frequently recommend for extended rearfacing, but the Britax Marathon is no longer on that list. The reason for this is because there are several other seats which will allow your child to rearface longer, in weight limit, height, and leg room. Once your baby is here, and you're ready to get a convertible, you can post again and we can make recommendations based on whether your child is tall and thin, or shorter and stocky, and also based on the latest and greatest:)

As a side note, the new Britax Marathon and probably various other new models will be available by the time your baby outgrows an infant seat. Consider that by 20 pounds or so, you'll be tired of carrying your baby around in a carrier and may end up just leaving the carrier in the vehicle full time, as you would a convertible seat. So, even a smaller infant seat rated to 30 pounds or less is often quite a reasonable choice in many cases.

Shoot, somehow I missed the second half of your last paragraph. Not sure how I did that :confused: Anyways, rather than edit my already-really-long paragraph, I'll just put it as a new reply...

Lol I missed it too and went back to add a response;-)

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
By the way, Amazon is showing this item [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-onBoard-Deluxe-Infant/dp/B002U3XS9K"]Amazon.com: Safety 1st onBoard 35 Air Deluxe Infant Car Seat Base, Black: Baby[/ame] that has the correct MSRP and part number of the premium base, even though it has the wrong photo. It's about $30 under MSRP right now. Still pricey, but not as bad as elsewhere.

Added: To be fair, bases for two other high end models, the Chicco Keyfit 30 and Britax Chaperone, also cost about the same. I guess it could also be considered an advantage that Safety 1st offers a budget base for much less.

Carrie_R

As a side note, the new Britax Marathon and probably various other new models will be available by the time your baby outgrows an infant seat. Consider that by 20 pounds or so, you'll be tired of carrying your baby around in a carrier and may end up just leaving the carrier in the vehicle full time, as you would a convertible seat. So, even a smaller infant seat rated to 30 pounds or less is often quite a reasonable choice in many cases.

Yes, definitely! And um, OT again, but did we know there was gonna be a new MA?!

Lol I missed it too and went back to add a response;-)

Glad I'm not the only one. :)

y_p_w

I hope it's OK if I compress my replies to several messages into one post....

ypw, you got it right on target, so to speak, and pretty much as I understand it. The $80 new onBoard 35 meets a lower price point by using the budget base and cover/insert/padding soft goods package.
I have noticed that there appear to be a version (IC009) of the OnBoard 35 in certain colors that come with the "premium" (I realize "deluxe" may have been the standard) base , different fabrics/patterns, and more small baby inserts. This version also seems to include a rubberized handle grip.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/ProductSet.aspx?Prodid=11333143

This is what I got (a model# 22375):

http://www.target.com/dp/B002XLEPE6

I realize now (I saw it in the instruction booklet) that a pool noodle (they actually use that exact term) or rolled towel should only be used near the seat crack to increase the recline angle. I tried it in my car (2004 Subaru Impreza WRX) and the seat has a greater angle than my wife's 2002 Honda Civic. I don't think I'll have a problem in my car as the default position with the base installed is in the 11-35 lbs range. However - the problems I'm having are that I have a problem with room. I can't even set the handle at any of the two lower positions, as the middle position bumps the handle into the seat, and the lower position bumps into the center console. The only way I can get it into the base in my car is with the handle up and locked.

I've also noticed several different versions of the base. The base that came with mine has a mostly green label on the hatch near the front that can secure unused LATCH hardware. I tried it on my wife's car with the center-rear seatbelt (probably not 100% correct) and with the LATCH system in my Subaru. The LATCH hardware consists of a metal clip that hooks onto the LATCH points. It seems pretty secure in the middle-back position in my Subaru, but I suppose I'll need to check the tightness every time before I drop the seat in there.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002U3ZSBG

31Q8AmCkldL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I was looking around at other seat bases for other brands. Quite a few seem to have LATCH hardware that looks somewhat like a seatbelt buckle with a plastic release button. It seems to insert into the LATCH points and clicks in place. I'm wondering if maybe the "premium" base includes something similar. The description of it is that it uses a "QuickClick™ LATCH system".

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I hope it's OK if I compress my replies to several messages into one post....

I have noticed that there appear to be a version (IC009) of the OnBoard 35 in certain colors that come with the "premium" (I realize "deluxe" may have been the standard) base , different fabrics/patterns, and more small baby inserts. This version also seems to include a rubberized handle grip.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/ProductSet.aspx?Prodid=11333143

Yes, this is the original version I mentioned. That is a very good deal for it at Costco. I think it is worth the added cost over the $80 new version rated 5-35 pounds, assuming it also has the premium base.

However - the problems I'm having are that I have a problem with room. I can't even set the handle at any of the two lower positions, as the middle position bumps the handle into the seat, and the lower position bumps into the center console. The only way I can get it into the base in my car is with the handle up and locked.

The onBoard is not one of the smaller infant seats. Higher maximums usually mean bigger seats and this is one of the drawbacks. It's fine to leave the handle up, though!

I was looking around at other seat bases for other brands. Quite a few seem to have LATCH hardware that looks somewhat like a seatbelt buckle with a plastic release button. It seems to insert into the LATCH points and clicks in place. I'm wondering if maybe the "premium" base includes something similar. The description of it is that it uses a "QuickClick™ LATCH system".

Yes, the premium base like the one that comes with the Air version has the upgraded LATCH connectors that have push button releases. You will see them in the video in tomorrow's review;-)

chloebeansmom

Yes, this is the original version I mentioned. That is a very good deal for it at Costco. I think it is worth the added cost over the $80 new version rated 5-35 pounds, assuming it also has the premium base.

I bought this version in the Sienna color from Diapers.com and it does come with the premium base. I think the body supports alone are worth the extra money. It seems very comfortable to carry as well. (as comfortable as any seat that size would be anyway. Seems more comfortable than my SS1 was.) In the month or so that I've had it and played with it (no baby to put in it yet) it seems like a great seat for the money.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC