Does the TF take up more RFing room than a MR?

kidzndogz

My mom is coming over in a minute and wants to go to a couple stores to try car seats in her impossible stupid Infiniti FX. I think she is becoming a car seat nut too...it's kind of funny.

Anyway, we're trying the CCO, MR, and Truefit. The CCO and MR are at a store close to me, but the Truefit is kind of far and I hate to make her drive her car all the way out there after already driving all the way to my house.

So my question is, does the TF take up more room front to back? Or will it be safe to assume if we can get a MR in her car than a TF will probably fit okay as well? I've never messed with a TF so I have no clue. If they're equal, I'll just drive to the far store so she can play with it, ease of use-wise and assume it'll be ok in her car.

ADS

featherhead

They take up close to the same. Though if you are using it from newborn, you will need quite a bit more room for the MyRide, as the True Fit has the removable headrest.

canadiangie

Hard to say, really. If the TF is for Shrimp at birth then obviously you'll need a 45* angle, but the top can be removed... equals less room.

Every.single.car I've installed the MR in automatically installs at 45* (per the level indicator) so I've only seen it take up as much space as it ever will (if that makes sense) and it doesn't seem to take up that much room.

A 45* recline angle with the TF can be tricky b/c of the lock-offs. Best bring noodles with you to the store, in case you aren't already.

The MR seems more friendly, overall. :shrug:

featherhead

Hard to say, really. If the TF is for Shrimp at birth then obviously you'll need a 45* angle, but the top can be removed... equals less room.

Every.single.car I've installed the MR in automatically installs at 45* (per the level indicator) so I've only seen it take up as much space as it ever will (if that makes sense) and it doesn't seem to take up that much room.

A 45* recline angle with the TF can be tricky b/c of the lock-offs. Best bring noodles with you to the store, in case you aren't already.

The MR seems more friendly, overall. :shrug:

You should see my car, it goes in at about 30-35. It's great for the Radian!

kidzndogz

Yeah I'd take the headrest off the TF for a noob, but eventually it will go back on, so I don't want it to be an issue later.

So it's okay to assume that front to back-wise, if a MR can easily fit, a TF should as well? Ease of installation aside. I think a MR is a better choice but she wants to see as many as she can and then pick which one she finds easiest to use/install regardless of what I tell her. :shrug-shoulders:

She's just fascinated at the options and differences out there. So much has changed since I was tiny.

She had me spend like 20 minutes showing her how to put a RN in her car....NO idea why, but it was fun. She looked up all the newborn convertible pictures here on the boards and decided she liked the fit of the RN on noobs best and was bound and determined she was going to get my XT to fit in her car.

Yeah, no way. Didn't happen. lol. it was actually VERY upright but still didn't fit because her backseat is so small. Her second choice by looks of fit was the TF because she doesn't like how the buckle takes up the entire baby on the MR.

Spam

In my experience the tf takes up more room. Even with the headrest removed from the TF, it took up the same amount of space as with the headrest on. Depends on the shape of vehicle seats. I have a 00 durango, Here's the TF in infant 45 mode
cco0003.jpg
cco0004.jpg

And in the more upright w/out headrest
cco0006.jpg
cco0008.jpg

For me the MR takes up less space, I just don't have any pics at the moment, but it works well outboard without taking up a ton of space upfront, with the TF I have to eat the dash. And well the cco, I :love: it, I can have the front seat all the way back and still doesn't touch the cco.

kidzndogz

And well the cco, I :love: it, I can have the front seat all the way back and still doesn't touch the cco.

Thanks for the pics!

I think the CCO is going to be the best bet because of the small amount of space. By the time he outgrows it, a RFing seat can be very upright and fit in her car better.

But hey, if she wants to go play car seat with me, I'm not going to argue. :p as long as she can put it in correctly, she can buy whatever darn seat she likes!

kidzndogz

Well, got the CCO for $100 today! Only one they had, and it was clearanced. Nice!

You know what is sad though? We didn't even bother to try the MR. The CCO *barely* fit. My mom's crossover/SUV thing has a smaller backseat than a compact car. Lame!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC