Need help choosing a new backpack for DD.

mom2juliarose

DD currently has a Land's End Tiny Take backpack. But she's constantly complaining it doesn't fit her stuff at school, that it's too hard to put her folder in (and it is kind of a PITA, I'll admit that), etc. Today is their school play with a party after for the parents, and so her teacher wanted to make sure that her classroom was clean--so she had DD put everything from her cubby into her backpack. Well, DD's backpack was stuffed to the brim! I don't know, honestly, if even with a bigger backpack she will put her stuff into her backpack. Right now she just puts it in her cubby because it's "too hard" to put in her backpack... and then it builds up to a massive pile and finally the teacher helps her pack it all up and bring it home.

SO I've decided to get her a new backpack to use for the rest of this year and next year. The tiny take backpack is small, but also, hers is light blue and I can't believe how grungy the fabric has gotten! I machine wash that and her lunch box probably once a month, and yet they're SO dirty looking. Which is why I'm not certain if I should go with another Lands End bag, or an LL Bean bag (which I had when I was in school and remember the material being thicker/stronger and easier to wash).

Which bag would you choose? The LL Bean bag is wider, but otherwise the dimensions are the same.

Classmate Small Haul by Lands End

or

The Original Book Pack by LL Bean

ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
I have an LL Bean backpack that I used in college, then grad school, and currently as a diaper bag, and it's still in really excellent condition, so I'd go for the LL Bean one. :twocents:

natysr

We have the LL Bean Junior Original backpack and it fits full sized folders etc. in it. It is quite roomy. Very good quality. I expect its size will last at least through the end of second grade.

twinsmom

Both Lands' End and LL Bean have awesome return policies. You can return anything, at any time, for any reason. So you could choose one, try it out, and if it's not working for you return it and try another. You can also return your first Lands' End one.

Sorry I can't help with the "which one to get" question, but I'll be watching this thread because my kids will need backpacks this fall. :D

mom2juliarose

We have the LL Bean Junior Original backpack and it fits full sized folders etc. in it. It is quite roomy. Very good quality. I expect its size will last at least through the end of second grade.

See, LL Bean says their Junior is 14.5" high, and her current backpack according to Lands End is 14 3/8" high... so not really much of a difference. I wonder if her coordination comes in to play... maybe having a "taller" backpack would help her get her folder in her backpack better. Because her current take-home folder seems to be about 12 or 13" tall.

sirrahn

Lands' Ends warranty and return policy is just as good as L.L. Bean's. If you're not happy with it, tell them and get it exchanged.

My kids have always had LE back packs. They've always picked their colors and styles over L.L. Bean's for some reason. I don't have a huge preference myself. I've had both brands of bags over the years and find them to be of similar high quality.

I will say though that my older DD also had a light blue preschool pack, and when she needed to move up to the bigger size I got her dark purple;) She was way worse than her brothers have ever been about getting it nasty looking. The Small Haul looks to be similarly sized to the Jr. Classmate DD1 has now. She's an averaged sized 1st grader and it fits her well. I don't think she's ever gotten it close to full.

keri1292

We go with LL Bean because the prints are cute and Lands End is kind of plain jane. Dd's looks brand new and it's 2 years old. :thumbsup: She can fit snowpants, a change of shoes, her take home folder, library books and her lunch box in it.

rochelle

Which bag would you choose? The LL Bean bag is wider, but otherwise the dimensions are the same.
Classmate Small Haul by Lands End
or
The Original Book Pack by LL Bean

DS1 has a target backpack about the same size as the two above (16" x 12" x 5"). He has to bring home one weeks worth of classwork every wednesday so sometimes he does not zip up his backpack as its too full.

I would go for the wider one as DS1 finds it easier to put in and take out things the wider the backpack.

Callansmomma

CPS Technician
Get the LL Bean! They have wonderful customer service. My son has had the smaller (junior I think it is) backpack since age 2.5. We have taken it all over the place! Once, the carry strap at the top broke off. When we returned from our trip I called and they sent out a replacement even though the backpack was over a year old.

My friend's kids have all had LL Bean backpacks. Her oldest is 15. He might be on his second one. She swears by them.

ETA: I can get a three ring binder into my son's junior LL Bean backpack. It will also hold standard size folders. For skiing it holds his ski bibs, fleece pullover, sweat pants, mittens, goggles, and gator. We also use it for car trips and it holds quite a lot of books and monster trucks.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC