Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Need help choosing a new backpack for DD.

DD currently has a Land's End Tiny Take backpack. But she's constantly complaining it doesn't fit her stuff at school, that it's too hard to put her folder in (and it is kind of a PITA, I'll admit that), etc. Today is their school play with a party after for the parents, and so her teacher wanted to make sure that her classroom was clean--so she had DD put everything from her cubby into her backpack. Well, DD's backpack was stuffed to the brim! I don't know, honestly, if even with a bigger backpack she will put her stuff into her backpack. Right now she just puts it in her cubby because it's "too hard" to put in her backpack... and then it builds up to a massive pile and finally the teacher helps her pack it all up and bring it home.

SO I've decided to get her a new backpack to use for the rest of this year and next year. The tiny take backpack is small, but also, hers is light blue and I can't believe how grungy the fabric has gotten! I machine wash that and her lunch box probably once a month, and yet they're SO dirty looking. Which is why I'm not certain if I should go with another Lands End bag, or an LL Bean bag (which I had when I was in school and remember the material being thicker/stronger and easier to wash).

Which bag would you choose? The LL Bean bag is wider, but otherwise the dimensions are the same.

Classmate Small Haul by Lands End

or

The Original Book Pack by LL Bean
    Anne, driving a '13 Odyssey and an '05 CRV

DD-Julia 9/04 (5 stepping now!)
    DS1-Luca 11/10 (Graco Wayz and Graco HB Turbobooster)
    DS2- Enzo 7/15 (Chicco NextFit and Diono R100)

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Need help choosing a new backpack for DD.

IIRC, the LL Bean has warranties on their backpacks... So I'd go with that. JMO.
    desiree'
    Michael (Autism), 3.5y, 43lbs, 43", FF'ing in a Nautilus
    Aunaliese (PDD-NOS), 26m, 22lbs, 33.5", RF'ing in a Multi Tech
    Missing baby Josef Rain (born sleeping 12.10.10)

I have an LL Bean backpack that I used in college, then grad school, and currently as a diaper bag, and it's still in really excellent condition, so I'd go for the LL Bean one.
    DD (9 years old) & DS (6.5 years old)

We have the LL Bean Junior Original backpack and it fits full sized folders etc. in it. It is quite roomy. Very good quality. I expect its size will last at least through the end of second grade.

Both Lands' End and LL Bean have awesome return policies. You can return anything, at any time, for any reason. So you could choose one, try it out, and if it's not working for you return it and try another. You can also return your first Lands' End one.

Sorry I can't help with the "which one to get" question, but I'll be watching this thread because my kids will need backpacks this fall.

Jack and Katie, 9 years old!
    Riding in Montereys and Maxi Cosi Rodi XRs

Quote Originally Posted by natysr View Post
    We have the LL Bean Junior Original backpack and it fits full sized folders etc. in it. It is quite roomy. Very good quality. I expect its size will last at least through the end of second grade.
    See, LL Bean says their Junior is 14.5" high, and her current backpack according to Lands End is 14 3/8" high... so not really much of a difference. I wonder if her coordination comes in to play... maybe having a "taller" backpack would help her get her folder in her backpack better. Because her current take-home folder seems to be about 12 or 13" tall.
    Anne, driving a '13 Odyssey and an '05 CRV

DD-Julia 9/04 (5 stepping now!)
    DS1-Luca 11/10 (Graco Wayz and Graco HB Turbobooster)
    DS2- Enzo 7/15 (Chicco NextFit and Diono R100)

Senior Community Member sirrahn's Avatar

Lands' Ends warranty and return policy is just as good as L.L. Bean's. If you're not happy with it, tell them and get it exchanged.

My kids have always had LE back packs. They've always picked their colors and styles over L.L. Bean's for some reason. I don't have a huge preference myself. I've had both brands of bags over the years and find them to be of similar high quality.

I will say though that my older DD also had a light blue preschool pack, and when she needed to move up to the bigger size I got her dark purple She was way worse than her brothers have ever been about getting it nasty looking. The Small Haul looks to be similarly sized to the Jr. Classmate DD1 has now. She's an averaged sized 1st grader and it fits her well. I don't think she's ever gotten it close to full.
    Mom to DS-22 driving a 2011 Honda CR-Z, DS-19 driving a 2010 Toyota Prius, DD-16 driving a 2017 Toyota Yaris iA, and DD-14 riding in a 2018 Mazda CX-9 & 2018 Mazda CX-3

Carseat Crazy Thanksgiving_Twins_Mom's Avatar

my girls's LL Bean original packs are in their second year of use and still look great so I'd vote for the Bean packs.
    Elaine
    Mom to Lydia & Deborah (both 5-stepped and almost as tall as mom) 15YO
    and comfy chair to Lily Cat (no car seats but will use a kitty harness for walks)

We go with LL Bean because the prints are cute and Lands End is kind of plain jane. Dd's looks brand new and it's 2 years old. She can fit snowpants, a change of shoes, her take home folder, library books and her lunch box in it.
    Maiya ~ 12y/80lbs ~ Jane Indy Plus ~ Hayden ~ 9y/55lbs ~ SK Monterey ~ Quinn ~ 8y/45lbs ~ RXT ~ Mitchell ~ 18m/24lbs ~ Arctic Cat MA

Quote Originally Posted by mom2juliarose View Post
    Which bag would you choose? The LL Bean bag is wider, but otherwise the dimensions are the same.
    Classmate Small Haul by Lands End
    or
    The Original Book Pack by LL Bean
    DS1 has a target backpack about the same size as the two above (16" x 12" x 5"). He has to bring home one weeks worth of classwork every wednesday so sometimes he does not zip up his backpack as its too full.

I would go for the wider one as DS1 finds it easier to put in and take out things the wider the backpack.

Get the LL Bean! They have wonderful customer service. My son has had the smaller (junior I think it is) backpack since age 2.5. We have taken it all over the place! Once, the carry strap at the top broke off. When we returned from our trip I called and they sent out a replacement even though the backpack was over a year old.

My friend's kids have all had LL Bean backpacks. Her oldest is 15. He might be on his second one. She swears by them.

ETA: I can get a three ring binder into my son's junior LL Bean backpack. It will also hold standard size folders. For skiing it holds his ski bibs, fleece pullover, sweat pants, mittens, goggles, and gator. We also use it for car trips and it holds quite a lot of books and monster trucks.
    Amy,

SAHM to one, CPST, RN with BSN.

Looking for fun things to do with kids?? http://www.crazyaboutcarseats.blogspot.com/