eww eww eww expired car seats!

CRS

Senior Community Member
I destroyed all the expired car seats I had in storage in my garage and had been given/found on the side of the road this afternoon and boy was it satisfying! My Husband and my best friends Husband had the honours!

expiredcarseats.jpg

There were seven seats in total.. all are now broken beyond 'repair' and their straps cut up.

The most shocking though, would have to be the Evenflo Ultara that my friend bought for $10 at a market. Made in 1998 (I think). Apart from the fact it's quite obviously expired what else do you notice?

frontevenfloultara.jpg

harnessevenfloultara.jpg

backevenfloultara.jpg

It's a 5 point harness seat.. turned in to a 3 point harness seat, no stickers, or anything with material sewn over the original cover. Obviously whatever child had been using it, had been using it as a 3pt for some time, as the obviously worn cover had no holes in it on the sides for the straps to come through. Look how the harness is threaded!

To the dump they go!

ADS

Jessie78

:D Hahaha yeah those were so gross! It was amazing how long the Safe n Sound took to destroy, compared to the others. That Evenflo was very scary stuff. :eek:

mominabigtruck

What amazes me is someone actually went to all that effort to make the evenflo a 3pt. People can't be expected to read their manual but apparently they can take the time to rig their carseats?:(

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
We still need to take out some agression on our MA and Husky from our accident.... looks like fun!

Whatever you do, don't try to hit those seats with a sledghammer... first the deafening crash will hurt your ears, then it will bounce right back atcha... since they aren't old, they are *sturdy* devils :D (I had dh destroy some seats...the ancient baby seat crumbled easily, the not-old century seat had to be sawed up with great difficulty, but it kept dh busy for hours...)

:)

Suzibeck

Good Riddance!

Our local fire station has a compactor that I take old seats to. My youngest said the other day, "Mommy, I'll be sad when we have to take my teddy bear seat to be crushed!" She has an Antique Teddy RA that expires in 15 months. I'll be sad too, I love that seat.

BABYGIRLLYNDSEY

We had a Britax Cruiser car seat that my older daughter used. It had expired so we took it out to the garbage man when he came to pick up and he put it in and we watched him crunch it up with the crusher on the truck. My daughter thought it was great and the garbage man did too. :D

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Whatever you do, don't try to hit those seats with a sledghammer... first the deafening crash will hurt your ears, then it will bounce right back atcha... since they aren't old, they are *sturdy* devils :D (I had dh destroy some seats...the ancient baby seat crumbled easily, the not-old century seat had to be sawed up with great difficulty, but it kept dh busy for hours...)

:)

LOL, yeah, all I've got is a hammer, which I've found quite effective for removing every nut/bolt -- then I just write DANGEROUS! DO NOT USE! EXPIRED! in permanent marker all over it :cool:

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I just picked up another used seat from freecycling. My husband loves burning them on him burn pile. They burn quite well! teehee :cool:

southpawboston

I just picked up another used seat from freecycling. My husband loves burning them on him burn pile. They burn quite well! teehee :cool:

umm... shouldn't plastic be disposed and not burned? i thought the fumes from burning plastic were quite toxic...? :confused: i used have to burn our trash back in the days before recycling (plus we were hicks) and i loved to watch plastic melt and then burn, dripping as it burned... but i've learned since then just how bad burning plastic is!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC