questions questions

crystal vowell

I am really nervous about moving and being able to affford everything so I was wondering what was your highest electric bill if you have a 2 bedroom?Anyone can answer.

ADS

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
our highest was near 200...but we arent very good energy savers either (and it was in teh summer, so we had the a/c all day/night)

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
It varies greatly by location, so it probably won't help much to ask people who don't live near you. You should be able to find out the average monthly bill by contacting the landlord or power company.

scatterbunny

Yes, cost of electricity varies by area, just as much as rent does. :) In our one/two bedroom homes, though, the highest our bill got was about $140/month, in the winter. In summer it could be as little as $65.

Now, in our four bedroom, two-story house, the cheapest our bill has been is about $90, the most expensive is about $210.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Many utility companies have websites with energy usage and billing estimators and suggestions that could be useful for budgeting. Some also have budget plans where they base your monthly bill on an annual average for the location or individual household so your bills are more predictable. On the budget plan, usually once a year, the utility will either credit your account if you used less electricity, or charge you more if you used more energy than estimated, and readjusts the monthly billing amount accordingly. You could also ask prospective neighbors about their typical utility bills to get a better idea.

Utility costs also depends on the types of appliances and furnace and their energy efficiency ratings. In Texas you probably run the A/C a lot more than the furnace. :) About 10 years ago we lived in a 1 bedroom apartment with all electric appliances including full sized washer and dryer, electric heat and electric water heater. Our biggest monthly electric bill in the middle of Michigan winter was around $140, and the monthly bill in the summer when using the A/C would run about $100. Electric rates have gone up quite a bit since then though and they vary in different regions/locations.

Our current house is much bigger than our old apartment with a high efficiency natural gas furnace, gas water heater, gas stove, and everything else is electric. We also use compact fluorescent light bulbs in the light fixtures that are most heavily used. The electric bill is usually $60 to $70 a month in the winter, and closer to $100 in the summer when we run the A/C. We have a separate interruptible electric meter for the A/C with a lower rate.

Amaris

I would definately ask the people at the apartment complex or the electric company. It really does vary from place to place since different companies charge more per kilowatt or whatever they charge by. Also climate plays a big role. When we lived in southwestern TX our electric bill in the summer was at or above $300, but it was 100+ degrees from April to August. That was in a 2 bd apt. We now have a large 3bd house in western NY and out electric bill is never over $150, but we don't really need the ac in the summer.

Morganthe

Since you're in DEREGULATED :rolleyes: Texas, it all depends on if you can select your own electric company or if you have to contract with the company for the Rental unit. You'd have to check with your landlord for that one.

Otherwise, Power To Choose website helps you to "Retail Electric Provider that's right for you." It's handy and helps to educate this confusing world of Electric prices. Last year, there was a report in the Newspaper that more than 65% of households had remained with WTU despite being the 'price to beat' with the highest set prices :rolleyes: Money going out the window, if you don't shop right.

You're lucky if you can select your own provider and at the current time period. A year ago when we first arrived, the vast majority of the companies only offered a year- three year contract with little benefit for the consumer. There was no guarantee of prices or limiting jumps. Dissolving the contract would cause a penalty of around $150-$180!

Dynowatt was the ONLY company with a month to month contract and they were also the least expensive of all the companies out there. They had problems with billing issues, but I really didn't care since I was paying 16 cents a KWH during the summer instead of 22 cents that WTU & Reliant were charging.

Now there are companies that will 'lock-in' your rate at a set level for 12 or 24 months. Or you can select month-month with quite a few. I switched to Commerce in Dec for a guaranteed 11cents per KwH while prices were low. Everything has jumped up since and will only get higher in anticipation of summer, just like vehicle fuel. But a warning: It takes a Long long time to switch over the electric provider. I'll be getting my first bill through Commerce at the end of this month.

As a 'new' mover, you'll get a higher preference -- within 7 business days, so select & notify the company before you move in to get a start date, then set your move-in date around that. Use the internet to research, since many of the retail companies are designed to use that method. Fun when you're in a hotel without internet connection like we were :(

But all this depends on if you can select your own provider or not. I don't know what apartments have as policy. DH says that the apartments around here cover some of the electric as a part of the rent -- such as the first $125. What's over that is on your dime. That is still a huge help.

As a comparison, our house's electric bill between Nov-Jan has been in the neighborhood of $85/ 650kwh a month with 3 people. But we have gas heat (which doesn't really get used that much except when temps drop below 35. Dd & I like a cool house. We're comfy when it's between 63-67 degrees. Yep, not Texans at all :p

Watch your KWH consumption and figure that it will double when A/C is in use. I kept mine under 1500 Kwhs during the summer by turning it 'up' in the morning to about 79 and dropping it down around 5pm to 72. (basically hours that the house was emptier). I also shut off the vents to rooms that weren't regularly used and didn't use the oven to cook anything for months. That open kitchen will heat the entire house. This year, I have a good toaster oven & Crock pot to use in the garage which is next to the kitchen to help keep things cool. :)

Nighttime would even be set lower to help us sleep. Tempers or paying for decent sleep - DH chose happily to pay ;) I need to get our bedroom walls & the attic insulated, plus new energy efficient windows this spring. Huge cost, but I'll be able to drop our bills down more, even with an a/c that does not meet current energy standards.

hth answers some questions and good luck going on your own :)

Last edited:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
It varies greatly by location, so it probably won't help much to ask people who don't live near you. You should be able to find out the average monthly bill by contacting the landlord or power company.
Yep -- even just 2 hours away was a HUGE difference in the power rate (one company vs. another)....

GOOD LUCK

southpawboston

our highest electric bill was in california about 6 years ago, amid the electric crisis (read: scandal) that gripped the state. it was about $130/mo with minimal use-- we were renting a tiny 800sq ft bungalo that probably had less than 10 light bulbs in the whole house!

here in mass, our electric bill is greatest in summer, at about $80/month if we use the A/C a lot (july-august, and we have three window-mounted air conditioners), and it is lowest in the winter, at about $30/month.

southpawboston

I would definately ask the people at the apartment complex or the electric company. It really does vary from place to place since different companies charge more per kilowatt or whatever they charge by. Also climate plays a big role. When we lived in southwestern TX our electric bill in the summer was at or above $300, but it was 100+ degrees from April to August. That was in a 2 bd apt. We now have a large 3bd house in western NY and out electric bill is never over $150, but we don't really need the ac in the summer.

just curious, where in western NY? my inlaws are near canandaigua.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC