Question Help with toddler seat for F150 crew cab, please!

mkbdvm

I recently purchased 2 Britax Frontier seats for a great deal and love it in my mazda 5 but DH has an F150 with crew cab. The back seats are short (the bench portion) and the frontier hung over the edge a bit. I need to go to CHP (they do our seat checks here) to double check, but this isn't safe, right? We aren't using it now, in fact, I sold it on CL.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a similar seat with a smaller footprint? I like the 5 point restraint as long as possible. DD#1 is about to outgrow her roundabout and DD#2 (6 mos) will be inheriting it. FWIW, DD#1 is 3 1/2, 38 lbs and almost 40" tall. She is long legged and long torsoed (I think i just made that word up)

Thanks so much!

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The Frontier only needs 80% of the bottom to be on the vehicle seat cushion. It's only the Nautilus that insists 100% of the base be on the vehicle seat. Now, you said it hung over 'a bit', so it might be a bad thing you already sold it, but if it was more than 20%, then just as well. The Evenflo Maestro is very short and might work perfectly, I think you can get it at Sears, at least online, not sure about in the store.

skitle1802

I have a Frontier 80 in my F150. Its a 2002 Supercrew, the one with 4 full size doors. The Frontier fits on the seat with more than 80% in the center position, I haven't tried the outboard.

mkbdvm

I'm new here so forgive any inane questions. What does outboard mean?

We have two seats installed in each car, one is a britax roundabout and one will be whichever.

I will make an appt to have my seats checked with our local CHP and put the one from my car in DH's to see if the frontier is safe in his truck. He didn't care for it anyway b/c the one I got for $179 was pink. LOL

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Hi, outboard means on the driver's side or passenger side and not in the center. :)

skitle1802

I love the bench in our F150, we have a Roundabout 50 rear facing (rf) behind the drivers seat, frontier center, and an Evenflo Titan rf behind the passenger seat. They fit perfectly, good luck! And you can always pick up a spare cover that isn't pink. $179 is a great price.

mkbdvm

I got it at diapers.com and it was either 10 dollars or 10 percent off for new customers. :):thumbsup:

autumnlily

I'd second the Maestro (Sears or Baby Depot... Sears will deliver to store for pick-up (free) and there is an online coupon for $5 off a $50 purchase). Also, a Radian - It doesn't turn into a booster but it has a small foot print.

And, with the stats of your first child... I'd verify her shoulders are not over the Roundabout top slots. A tall torsoed child would most likely be over the top slots. A replacement seat would be imperative immediately (which sounds like you are already doing ;))

Seats with high harness slots: Frontier(& 85), Radian, Graco Nautilus (most likely not a good fit in the F150), Maestro, (if head rest support) the Apex 65.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC