Harness or Booster for 6 1/2 year old?

sholoulou

Buying new seat for main car. Would you harness at this age or booster?

Looking at Frontier 85, Probooster, Monterey. If I do buy a booster are the ones I mentioned the best ones.. or there any others out there I should consider?

My son is 53-55 lbs. approx 48 or so inches

ADS

crunchierthanthou

Have you tried him in a booster? If so, how does he sit? Do you have a younger child to pass a harnessed seat down to? Does your vehicle have headrests?

If he is mature enough and sits well, there's no need to buy a harnessed seat at age 6.5 - especially if he'll be the last to use it. OTOH, if you need a high back booster because you vehicle doesn't provide head support, nothing is taller than the Frontier 85.

autumnlily

Also, what type of seat belts do you have?

If you have a lap only - we advise avoiding anyone in that seated position UNLESS it is a harnessed child restraint (lap belts are safe for installing car seats NOT boosters).

autumnlily

Here are some other reviews done by FIT ONLY (not performance of) booster seats and the compatibility on the average size child in different types of cars:

Here is the 2009 IIHS Research data on how well different boosters fit children:
2009 BOOSTER SEAT REVIEW

Here is the link to the video that IIHS put out (1min 58sec):
IIHS VIDEO

I have provided links to the different rating catagories with a quick list of the combination seats (that turn from harness mode to a booster) in each category:

Booster BEST BETS: IIHS BEST BETS
"Most likely to position lap and shoulder belts correctly on many children in many cars, minivans, and SUVs"
Combination seats that rate 'BEST BET' when used as a booster seat:
Britax Frontier
Recaro Young Sport

Booster GOOD BETS: IIHS GOOD BETS
"Acceptable lap and shoulder belt fit in almost as many vehicle belt configurations as the best-bet boosters"
Combination seat that rated as a GOOD BET when used as a booster seat:
Evenflo Symphony 65

Booster OTHER (neither on the good, best or worst bets): IIHS "OTHER" BETS
"These seats can provide good protection for some kids in some vehicles, but not in as many cases as top-rated boosters. If you are using one of these seats, make sure that the lap and shoulder belts fit properly. The lap belt should fit flat across a child's upper thighs, not the soft abdomen. The shoulder belt should cross snugly over the middle of the shoulder."
Combination seats that rate 'OTHER' when used as a booster seat:
Safeguard Go Hybrid
Graco Nautilus
Safety 1st Apex 65 (requires headrest support from vehicle)
Safety 1st Ventura
Safety 1st Summit
Evenflo Generations
Safety 1st Vantage

Booster WORST BETS (AVOID!): IIHS WORST BETS
"These are seats that don't provide good belt fit — the main job boosters are supposed to do."
Combination seats (harness then booster seat) to AVOID using as a booster seat (okay to use as harness seat):
*Alpha Omega
*Alpha Omega Elite
*Alpha Omega Luxe
*Eddie Bauer
*Eddie Bauer Deluxe 3-and-1
*Evenflo Express
*Safety 1st All-n-one
*Safety 1st Alpha Omega Elite

Last edited:

soygurl

Have you tried him in a booster? If so, how does he sit? Do you have a younger child to pass a harnessed seat down to? Does your vehicle have headrests?

If he is mature enough and sits well, there's no need to buy a harnessed seat at age 6.5 - especially if he'll be the last to use it. OTOH, if you need a high back booster because you vehicle doesn't provide head support, nothing is taller than the Frontier 85.

I thought the original Frontier actually adjusted higher in booster mode than the Frontier 85... something about the Frontier adjusting higher in booster mode than intended? :confused:

Maedze

I thought the original Frontier actually adjusted higher in booster mode than the Frontier 85... something about the Frontier adjusting higher in booster mode than intended? :confused:

Correct, the new 85 lost some booster height over the old 80.

Angela

Personally, I would probably go for either the original Frontier or Frontier 85. Since they both can harness and booster. I just went through the same debate with my DS, but he's only 4 (almost 5) so that made my decision quite a bit easier.

ginny4

if your son can sit well in a booster at all times.....i'd just buy a booster. for a normal 6.5yo it should be OK but some may not be quite ready yet.

crunchierthanthou

did it? I must have missed that. :eek: That's good to know. I thought they were the same height.

sholoulou

We have the Parkway. It is ok for a backup but I am not a huge fan of it. He is just now starting to ride in the booster. Guess it took him awhile to realize the steps he had to past in order to ride in a booster. I like that the monterey latches so it keeps it in place. I also like the Frontier. Wish I could just buy both :) Thanks a bunch for everyone's response. It feels like such a huge step to leave a harness and consider a booster full time. Anyone know which seat between the Frontier, Monterey, Probooster did the best in testing or which one would be the safest??

Northriver

My niece is about the same size and age as your son. She currently uses the original Frontier in my sisters car. She still has some room to grow as a harnesses seat, then will use it as a booster. In her dad's car however, she has been using a booster for about a year, and she has done well in the booster, too.

Personally, I'm not sure I'd invest in a harnessed seat for a 6.5 yr old. If you have a harnessed seat that still fits the child, use it, but I don't think I'd buy another harnessed seat as they are expensive and you won't be able to use it for too much longer.

autumnlily

We have the Parkway. It is ok for a backup but I am not a huge fan of it. He is just now starting to ride in the booster. Guess it took him awhile to realize the steps he had to past in order to ride in a booster. I like that the monterey latches so it keeps it in place. I also like the Frontier. Wish I could just buy both :) Thanks a bunch for everyone's response. It feels like such a huge step to leave a harness and consider a booster full time. Anyone know which seat between the Frontier, Monterey, Probooster did the best in testing or which one would be the safest??

The testing that was done by IIHS only looked at how well the booster seat fit the average child and how well it fit that way in different vehicles. There is no (released) data about which booster is the "safest".

However, we know that the safest booster seat will be the one that fits with the lap belt over the thighs and the shoulder belt touching and across his chest. The Parkway SG offers the slide guard and the Frontier offers a slide guard clip too (have to order from Britax).

If you will be moving this seat between vehicles make sure to test the fit with him in the booster in both vehicles.

Probooster wasn't in the 2009 fit test results. The Frontier performed as a Best Bet (and allows LATCH in booster mode), the Monterey was an "other tested seat" that wasn't on the BEST, GOOD or AVOID list. Again, the safest one is going to be the one that fits your child in every vehicle he rides in it. Hopefully, you have a store around that you can get the opportunity to check them out. Good luck :)

emandbri

I recently moved my 6 1/2 year old to a monterey and have been very happy with it. It seems to fit him nicely and I like the sides and the fact that it is latched. I do wish it was easier to move, the latch can be a PITA. Also the cover is very hard to get on and off.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC