Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

03 Mountaineer...cracked panel

From what I've read in the last hour, this seems to be a common problem. We just bought an 03 Mountaineer earlier today and I guess I didn't check the vehicle thoroughly enough because there are two cracks going down the back panel. I did a google search and I guess this is pretty common with the Mountaineers and the Explorers. Was there any kind of recall issued to fix the problem? Do you think the dealership will fix it or am I stuck with it? Is this a safety issue? I'm kind of freaking out here and I'm upset with myself for not seeing it before I left the lot. Thanks everyone
    Caleb Joshua: 8/17/2007; 45.5 inches, 46-47lbs, 17 inch torso; FF in a FN85 and Complete Air Sarah Rose: 05/15/2011; 22lbs, 31 inches; RF in a Britax Roundabout 50 and Combi Coccoro

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Re: 03 Mountaineer...cracked panel

What panel? Can we get a pic?
    Mama to Josie (4/08, 47lbs & 49"), retriever-cat Hotrod, munchkin-cat Gizmo, and hell-cat Leggs.

A pic would be helpful. Did you get a car fax report? If there was any accidents reported it will be on there, along with any body that has been done. I don't remember any recalls on them, but then again not all recalls are made public.
    Kelsey, mom to...
    Kaede 9-29-06 Ridding in: Marathon, Frontier 80, and Nautilus
    Raiden (my tube fed, fundo, refuxer, with SVT) 2-6-10 ridding in a TFP

CPS Fanatic

I can get a pic later today. The car was never involved in an accident. There are two cracks under the back window, about 2 ft apart from each other. Many of the cracking reports I've read online are happening straight down the back and around the mercury/ford emblem. Mine is on either side of the emblem. I've read probably over 50 complaints about the same thing on several different websites online but I can't seem to find anything saying something was done about it. I just want to make sure it isn't a safety issue.
    Caleb Joshua: 8/17/2007; 45.5 inches, 46-47lbs, 17 inch torso; FF in a FN85 and Complete Air Sarah Rose: 05/15/2011; 22lbs, 31 inches; RF in a Britax Roundabout 50 and Combi Coccoro

Are you speaking of a crack in the tailgate? Are they in the metal part (outside) or on the inside?
    DS 7.5 years 71 lbs FFing in:
    a Frontier90, PWSGL 2013
    DS2 3.5 years 35 lbs FFing in:
    Foonf, Frontier 85, SureRide

CPS Fanatic

Yes, the tailgate. All complaints I read referred to it as the back panel lol. It is on the outside and that part is plastic, not metal. I was not able to take a clear picture of it today. It barely shows during the day but is very clear as it gets dark outside. I spoke with the dealership today and they told me it's common with this year vehicle but I could bring it back in so they can take a look at it. Here is a pic from google that shows how it is cracking, although the location of the crack is different and is much worse in the picture.

My crack starts at the top, same as in picture, but the cracks are about two feet apart and the emblem is in the middle of the cracks. They only go down about 3 inches or so. I was just wondering if anyone has ever heard of it though and if Ford/Mercury was doing anything about it. I also wanted to make sure it isn't a safety concern and I don't want water to leak into my car as well. I've heard great reviews from family and friends on this vehicle so I'm kind of bumming. Otherwise, I love the car so far. Thanks everyone

Senior Community Member ProudMommysince09's Avatar

Oh what a bummer, sorry! I knew immediately what you are talking about when I read your title I have an 03 Explorer and the same thing (though not all the way, YET) happened not long after I bought it. From what the Ford dealer I take my car to told me its not a safety issue, just cosmetic. I know they sell the part for like $130 if I remember that right, but the paintjob will get ya. (it comes in an ugly unpainted grey) So I just live with it ..
    But other than that I love my car
    Carmen, Mommy to Emma 03/2009 47lbs FF in FR85.