03 Mountaineer...cracked panel

armywife12

From what I've read in the last hour, this seems to be a common problem. We just bought an 03 Mountaineer earlier today and I guess I didn't check the vehicle thoroughly enough because there are two cracks going down the back panel. I did a google search and I guess this is pretty common with the Mountaineers and the Explorers. Was there any kind of recall issued to fix the problem? Do you think the dealership will fix it or am I stuck with it? Is this a safety issue? I'm kind of freaking out here and I'm upset with myself for not seeing it before I left the lot. Thanks everyone

ADS

Kaede's_Mom

A pic would be helpful. Did you get a car fax report? If there was any accidents reported it will be on there, along with any body that has been done. I don't remember any recalls on them, but then again not all recalls are made public.

armywife12

I can get a pic later today. The car was never involved in an accident. There are two cracks under the back window, about 2 ft apart from each other. Many of the cracking reports I've read online are happening straight down the back and around the mercury/ford emblem. Mine is on either side of the emblem. I've read probably over 50 complaints about the same thing on several different websites online but I can't seem to find anything saying something was done about it. I just want to make sure it isn't a safety issue.

armywife12

Yes, the tailgate. All complaints I read referred to it as the back panel lol. It is on the outside and that part is plastic, not metal. I was not able to take a clear picture of it today. It barely shows during the day but is very clear as it gets dark outside. I spoke with the dealership today and they told me it's common with this year vehicle but I could bring it back in so they can take a look at it. Here is a pic from google that shows how it is cracking, although the location of the crack is different and is much worse in the picture.

972f766a-4d7a-102c-ab22-4eeebce64cc6r.png

My crack starts at the top, same as in picture, but the cracks are about two feet apart and the emblem is in the middle of the cracks. They only go down about 3 inches or so. I was just wondering if anyone has ever heard of it though and if Ford/Mercury was doing anything about it. I also wanted to make sure it isn't a safety concern and I don't want water to leak into my car as well. I've heard great reviews from family and friends on this vehicle so I'm kind of bumming. Otherwise, I love the car so far. Thanks everyone

ProudMommysince09

Oh what a bummer, sorry! I knew immediately what you are talking about when I read your title:( I have an 03 Explorer and the same thing (though not all the way, YET) happened not long after I bought it. From what the Ford dealer I take my car to told me its not a safety issue, just cosmetic. I know they sell the part for like $130 if I remember that right, but the paintjob will get ya. (it comes in an ugly unpainted grey) So I just live with it ;)..
But other than that I love my car:love:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC