Adjusting rf MA incline with tether

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm pretty sure that when we get ds his marathon and go to install it that we'll need to make use of the tether to get the right angle...So I'm wondering, is there danger in using the tether to get to the angle? Or are there other installation tricks to try first - is a rolled towel safer?

Ds will probably be moved into it in June, so he'll be 8mos old. Providing his torso doesn't shoot up again anytime soon and he fits his snugride awhile longer. ;)

I just worry about putting too much stress on the seat shell if the incline angle is achieved mostly through the tether.

This is a pic of dd's carseat in our new car, ds will be going on this side and dd will get moved behind the driver side since there's more room to get a better angle on the passenger side. Hopefully this gives an idea of what type of seats we're dealing with if it helps with installation tips. :)

outlookdeliverypictures007.jpg

eta: the passenger seat is all the way back in this picture and slightly reclined so there's lots of room for adjustment that way. I actually can't brace dd's seat with the angle it's currently at, but I'm sure with more of a 45 degree angle I should be able to brace ds's seat.

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Nope, you're good, that's one of the tether's main features. Even if it's quite tight, that's *nothing* compared to the forward facing crash forces it is designed to withstand. Plus, it's good to compress the seat cushion a bit prior to the crash, it may prevent over-rotation (which is how seats are tested, by how far back they rotate towards the horizontal...hard to explain, but it's A Good Thing, lol).

:)

snowbird25ca

Nope, you're good, that's one of the tether's main features. Even if it's quite tight, that's *nothing* compared to the forward facing crash forces it is designed to withstand. Plus, it's good to compress the seat cushion a bit prior to the crash, it may prevent over-rotation (which is how seats are tested, by how far back they rotate towards the horizontal...hard to explain, but it's A Good Thing, lol).

Thanks. :)

So tightening the tether even more to get the seat reclined more for my little guy would be fine? It's my 2.5 yo dd in it right now so she doesn't need the recline, but I know he will.

arly1983

Yes, here is a picture showing my Marathon. It will be fine to recline it more. Do you see how the top of the britax seat is resting on the back of the seat in front of it. That is called bracing. IF you call Britax they will tell you the same thing they told me: They like for you to brace the seat and they like for the tether to be tight. The bracing prevents the seat from over rotating and the tight tether will prevent the seat from rebounding. Basically in a wreck the top of the seat will not move. The tether is designed and tested to be used in exactly this way. If you have anymore worries about this I would call Britax. They have great costumer support. You can get there number off their website.

arly1983

"I just worry about putting too much stress on the seat shell if the incline angle is achieved mostly through the tether"

I promise it is designed to take that stress and lots more. If you only knew how tight me (and I am sure others on this forum) have had it you wouldn't worry. I would worry about my front seat coming lose before I would worry about that tether or the carseat.

snowbird25ca

Thanks Arly, that helps a lot. Right now my dd's MA isn't actually braced - it's close to it, but to get it completely braced it would have to be reclined more or the passenger seat tilted back more. It won't be a problem to brace ds's seat though because we want him on more of an angle.

I can see how tight the tether is in your picture, so that makes me feel better. It'll be a few months before we get his MA and switch, but I'll be sure to post pic's when we do. :)

arly1983

Glad I could help. If you have any technical questions you can always call Britax. They have great customer service. My little boy loves your cowmoo cover:)

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The previous posters are right about Britax allowing bracing of their rear facing convertible seats. One caveat about bracing though: It's good to double check the vehicle manual first to make sure it's okay per the vehicle manufacturer to brace against a front seat. Some newer vehicles prohibit having a carseat braced against or touching the back of the front seats because it could potentially interfere with the sensors for front airbags, especially in models with advanced frontal airbags and/or side torso airbags for the front seats. The OP's photo appears to show a tag for a side torso airbag on the front passenger seat, so it's possible there's a restriction in the owner's manual about bracing a child carseat.

arly1983

Actually, thats a piece of trash:eek: The previous poster is right, you need to look at your owner's manual and if you are unsure, call the manufacturer. My truck, 2003 Honda CRV, allows bracing.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
LOL, no I wasn't talking about your photo and didn't notice a torso airbag tag or any trash there. ;) Good to know your CRV allows bracing. :) I meant the original poster's photo which shows a tag that looks like it says "Airbag" on the side of her front passenger seat.

snowbird25ca

I didn't read anything in the manual about not being allowed to brace car seats, but I'll go back and look. We do have advanced air bags and that is an airbag tag you see on the side of the seat also. I read through the manual section on car seats when we picked up our car before I put the seats in, but I'll go back and read vehicle seats just in case it's in that section. Thanks for the tip. I sure hope bracing is allowed though.

snowbird25ca

Ok, so I read the manual section about airbags and didn't see anything about not bracing a car seat against the front seat. Would it have been in plain sight? It talked about car seats in the front seat and interfering with air bags... the car seat installation section itself never mentioned it.

Would this be obvious in the manual, or should I call Saturn and ask them about it?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Ok, so I read the manual section about airbags and didn't see anything about not bracing a car seat against the front seat. Would it have been in plain sight? It talked about car seats in the front seat and interfering with air bags... the car seat installation section itself never mentioned it.

Would this be obvious in the manual, or should I call Saturn and ask them about it?

Mine was obvious, but not about carseats, about boxes...they don't want you to just *cram* cargo in the footwells against the seatbacks. I make a parental decision to 'rest' the carseat on the front seatbacks, if not really super tightly brace it, either prevents overrotation, and I can't see how resting the seats together is enough force to disengage the seatbelt sensors, personally.

arly1983

Ditto about what joolsplus said. I called Honda because my manual didn't say anything about bracing or touching or anything. It seems like if the manual says nothing about something then most of the time it is okay, but it never hurts to call. Worst case, you wait on hold for half an hour and then get a CSR that knows nothing about what you are saying. Then you have to wait for their supreviser. Its really up to you. I used to think that carseat installation was black and white, yes or no. Alot of things are that simple yes or no but some things are in that gray area and we debate them occasionally on this forum. The little gray areas that come in real life usage because car seat manufacturers and car manufacturers usually do not know what (some are not quite as clueless) each other is doing. So you as a parent have to make an informed decision.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC