RF with leg casts

NannyMom

I just found out Sofi will be getting casts on both legs tomorrow. I forgot to ask (will find out tonight), but I assume it's just to the knee. That won't give issues with her RF, will it? What if they cast higher?

Btw- it's no broken bones. It's treatment for toe walking.

ADS

Kaede's_Mom

When my DD had a buckle fracture below her knee and had a cast to her thigh we had to turn her FF while she had the cast. Of course we also had a small car and could not recline her MA past about 35*. She could't kick that leg up the seat with out it digging into her.

If it is to the knee you shouldn't have a problem, especially if you can recline her seat a bit (that is if you don't have it reclined to the max).

NannyMom

Mboss says it won't go above the knee. Right now I'm wishing I had a Radian. But.... we'll see. She'll be in the TFP, then she'll go to Grandma's to spend the night and Gma has the MA. I know I can recling the TFP further, maybe I'll do that tomorrow morning.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Oddly it almost looks like she has the most leg room in the MR in that vehicle. But, I'd think the TF might be better since she can frog her legs out if the casts feel heavy, but now that I think about it, she could still sit frog legged in the MR but would have the side support closer. Hmm....I'd give them both a shot and see what she thinks.

NannyMom

Oddly it almost looks like she has the most leg room in the MR in that vehicle. But, I'd think the TF might be better since she can frog her legs out if the casts feel heavy, but now that I think about it, she could still sit frog legged in the MR but would have the side support closer. Hmm....I'd give them both a shot and see what she thinks.

What do you think about the MA? That's in Grandma's car, and she'll be going with Grandma just a few hours after getting the casts on.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
What do you think about the MA? That's in Grandma's car, and she'll be going with Grandma just a few hours after getting the casts on.
I think it would work for that. If she puts her legs like her left leg, but inside the seat instead of on the outside, she's got a decent amount of room. And since the casts are just on, I would hope that she isn't in any pain and they won't be bothering her at this point (perhaps annoying but hopefully not hurting her). Everything will change in a few days when her legs are stiff and tired and sore from wearing those casts, but will get better once she used to them. The first few hours though, I think she is likely to be okay. Although, ask the doc what to expect the first few hours as I might be dreaming!

Kaede's_Mom

That is about how our MA looked at the time of DD cast. Since they will be above the knee I think it will be ok. You may take the MR with you just incase, you could always install it real quick.

TerisBoys

Slightly OT, but - be prepared for the "What happened to her?!" questions when you're out in public. For some reason casts/braces on little ones tend to make people really nosey.

The bright red casts made me remember that.

Will she be doing PT/OT after they come off? Even now at 7yo we still have to do stretches with Ryan to keep his heel cords flexible or he starts toe-walking again.

NannyMom

Oh, I'm sure the questions will come.

The doc said this cast for 2 weeks, another for 2 weeks, then another for 2 weeks. The 3rd cast will be cut and made into braces for when she's sleeping. She'll have exercises to do (he didn't mention it there would be pt/ot). And if she walks on her toes sometimes, I can put the braces on during the day too.

She had 10* range of motion pointing her foot up with her knee bent, and with her leg straight (muscle stretched), it was 0*. We should be able to go to 15* with the leg straight.

She didn't get a pink cast like she wanted :( Because these aren't regular cats (they can be unwrapped instead of cut off), she had more limited choices.

Kaede's_Mom

So glad she is not going to have an issue RF in them. She looks comfy and cute.

Yes, expect almost everyone who looks at her to ask what is wrong. It will get old, but you learn to brush it off after a week or so.

NannyMom

AAACCCKKK!!! :eek: I just NOW thought about her weight with the casts. With casts, and cast shoes, long pants, and long sleeves.... she was 35 pounds on my home scale :eek: TFP in my car... I guess she will ride in BabyS' seat for now. TF and MA in Grandparents' cars. They'll get SIL's MR and she'll get a CA (and maybe me too).

I had a plan worked out, for when she hot 35 pounds, but I thought that'd be months away (she's 29-32 normally). Should I go ahead and make all the switching now? :sigh: DH has an EFTA.

NannyMom

Can the cast booties come off in the car to buy a pound or so if need be?

They can, but I doubt they even weigh a pound. I have 2MRs, which at minimum can get me through the week. I have the money for 1 CA I was planning to buy soon, so that helps.

NannyMom

I think my scale is broken. This morning she was 31 pounds :confused: So I took her to SIL, where they have a digital scale that is used often, and accurate. She's 32.0 on theirs. So, no more carseat freak out.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC