Forward facing in the front seat?

North_Of_60

Here's the deal... I know it's not ideal, but I'm not going to have my car for about a week, which only leaves me DH's jeep, which is heavily modified. It no longer has a back seat (it was removed and now there is a custom cabinet for tools and off road equipment).

It's equipped with aftermarket roll bars, and it comes with the ability to turn the front air bags off.

So my question is this, because it was sold with a back seat and technically has the capability to have one installed, is it illegal to install a car seat in the front? We don't even have the back seat here at the house, and it would involve dismantling the cabinet thing.

Truthfully, I don't HAVE to go anywhere, so it's not really a big deal. It's just a week. But if I had to, could I? Even though I know it's not the best situation, can it legally be done? Kind of like riding in a pick up truck?

My daughter is 4 and rides in a Nautilus with the 5 point harness.

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Yes, you could, and yes, it should be legal. I don't know of any states that prohibit the front seat because a back seat used to be in the vehicle.

That being said, do these heavy modifications include racing belts in the front seat?

crunchierthanthou

The factory belts should have locking latchplates, which are a cinch to install seats with (literally ;)). However, there won't be a tether anchor.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
FF in the front seat is fine (think pickups).

If it is an option, move the vehicle seat as far back as possible.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC