(dining) booster for travel?

crunchierthanthou

I'm taking dd (16 mos) away for a long weekend. The vacation house where we're staying is absolutely not child friendly and I think a chair for meal times (preferably with straps) is a must.

We have the FP healthy care booster that we like quite well, but we're flying. Even folded, it's a bit bulky. Any recs for a booster or hook-on that fits in luggage or can easily be purchased on arrival? The cheaper, the better. I've considered just having Amazon deliver one the day we arrive.

or should I just pay the $25 each way for a second checked bag? We're travelling alone, so I'd like to keep things as simple as possible for getting through the airport. That reminds me, I need to go play with the strollers and CCO to decide which to take...

ADS

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician

InternationalMama

oh, that's an idea too - something soft that just straps to the chair. I can see dd wanting to be taller (and trying to stand or climb if she's not).

Yeah, it doesn't boost them up and if my DS wants to stand up he *can*, but we've been using it for a long time and he's used to it so he usually sits in it very nicely. Whichever one you use, if this isn't a child-friendly place don't forget to put something (like a sheet, towel, etc.) on the chair to protect is from crumbs/spills etc.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Do you have a mei tai, by chance? I had to use that as a "booster" for DD a couple times. Well, it didn't BOOST her, but she could reach well enough. You just sort of rig it up however it makes sense, with the body in front.

Of course, if you were stopping to see me on the way, I have a booster (with straps) you could borrow, but noooooooo....

:p

crunchierthanthou

I know! I know! Most of our group is flying into an airport near you with time to spare. Maybe I'll send them your way. :p I'm the only one bringing a toddler (or child at all), so I'm the only one flying directly to our destination.

I don't have a mei tai, but I have a Beco Butterfly that will probably be coming along. Although, she likes to make messes and I'd hate for her to dump her drink when we need to use it. That kid can make any sippy spill. :rolleyes:

On that note (and with the earlier suggestion), I think I'll put a cheap shower curtain on my shopping list. Everyone else is arriving a day before us and has spa appointments during the time I fly in. I've already planned a stop at Target before I even go to the house.

christineka

I picked up the inflatable one at a garage sale for $1. (brand new) I don't like it nearly as much as the regular plastic booster, but it would definitely be good to travel with and work for your dd. Check walmart in the baby gadgets section, where they sell the car seat aftermarket accessories. There is a version of the seat there.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I love the inflatable one from The First Years. I paid $20 at Target-- twice. The first one, we used on a trip, and my friend we stayed with, who was pregnant, loved it so much we left it for her and bought a new one. Worth every penny. She has been using it for more than a year now and it was already 4 years old at that point, and has held up great! We use it in restaurants that have not enough, no, or broken/filthy high chairs, grandpa's house, etc. It wipes down fairly easily, and is easy to use. The only thing I've found is with some chairs you have to tie a knot in one side to shorten it to get it to attach securely, but that's not a real hardship.

skipspin

Well, it's no secret I'm in passionate love with my Phil and Ted's me too (or whatever it's called) seat. Not the cheapest, but I'm using it as my only high chair and love it. It's SO small you could even carry it on if you wanted. I took it to the park today even. DS loves to sit at my counter and "help" me cook. It's just so smart, simple, and small.

InternationalMama

Well, it's no secret I'm in passionate love with my Phil and Ted's me too (or whatever it's called) seat.

The only thing with the Me Too type chairs is that they don't work with all tables (can't use it with a table that has only one post in the center for example) so it might be a bit of a gamble as to whether it will work.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC