Yep, another round of WWYD?

Tara

It's a 'who gets what and when' kind of thing.

The kids and stats:
Eldest - 9.5yr 71# 53" in BG
Yogurt - 7.5yr 44# 45" in PW
Nugget - 5.5yr 43# 42.5" in MA
Doodles - 3yr 36# 38.5" in FPSE
Bebe - 13mo. 20# 28" in RA

The dilemma:
RA expires late June
FPSE expires Dec
Nugget at top slots in MA (though just moved, torso of 14.5")

So, the RA is the first to need replaced. Do I get something geared more toward the 5.5 yr old and give that MA to the baby? I'm not exactly thinking a bpb for the 5yr old. Though, I do have to keep in mind I need to fit 3 across the rear of an Expedition.

Oh, vehicle stats:
98 Ford Expedition 8 seater lap/shoulder belts at outboard positions Locking latch plate center 3rd row, the 'ratchet in' one for center 2nd row. Head rests only in 3rd row outboard positions.

9yr olds BG is too tall for 3rd row. He was back there up until a few months ago when we had to adjust the backrest up a notch. Now the booster headrests rubs against the top, so he's in 2nd row.

But positions aren't my issue, it's the seats. What seat do I get first?
I keep thinking about the new Recaro, *if* it's out in time. And then of course, if it otherwise fits my needs...fits in the vehicle properly where I need it. If I do the Recaro, that would go to the 5.5 yr old and his MA would go to the baby, RF center of 2nd row. (which will last him 'forever' since he's barely 20# now LOL) Then come Dec, when it's time to replace the FPSE...I can evaluate to see if the 5yr old (would then be 6yr 4 mo) is ready for a booster. I trust him now to ride in a booster, just not full time. So, maybe by then he would be ready for full time. That would send the Recaro to Doodles (would then be 4yr) and get a PW (most likely) for Nugget, the 5 yr old. I'm not opposed to keeping him harnessed longer, I just have to keep in mind what will fit well and still allow a view out the rear window. I cannot have another FF MA in the center of that 3rd row and still be able to see well. The lower profile of the FPSE works nicely in the center.

So that makes me think of the Radian. What was the top slot difference again? Radian vs Ma vs Recaro ??

I dunno....
Just ignore my ramblings and tell me what you would do. You have my kids stats. You know what seats need replaced when. You "do the math" and tell me your thoughts.

Just know that I really do not want to get a 'lesser' seat, just to get by for a while. When I go to buy a seat, I want it to be the one, kwim? I don't have a problem getting a seat and finding it doesn't work for us, sending it back for something else. I just don't really want to hear the 'get a scenera for the baby for now then...' kind of thing. And obviously, I've mentioned Britax and Recaro so I am not afraid of spending that kind of money on them. I will do that. I can't do a Safeguard kind of price, but Britax and Recaro, yes.

Summary:
9.5 (actually, he'll be 10 in April) yr old in BG, is good to go
7.5 yr old in PW, is good to go
5.5 yr old at top slots of MA, seat itself still has 4 years I think
3 yr old 's FPSE expires in Dec. Not real sure she'll make it til then in height, I think so, but...
1yr old's RA to expire in June

I know, that was all terribly confusing and lengthy wasn't it? My apologies. But if you can manage...any input appreciated. Then I shouldn't bother you again until it gets down to crunch time: late May/early June :)

ADS

ajweeks

I would get a Radian65 for the 5.5 year old and give the MA to the baby. Then when the FPSE expires you can evaluate then whether or not you want to get another Radian or just pass down the one you have and get your then 6 year old a booster.

The Radian gives about an inch more growing room than the MA (and even more with their new slot harness rules). The Recaro will have a bit higher harness slots (19" I think), but might not be as narrow or have such a low profile, which you want. I think you will get plenty of use out of the Radian.

scatterbunny

My first thought was also a Radian, but since you don't have to buy something until June, I'd hold out for the Recaro to see what it'll be like. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC